MAGE_ALL in Item/Spell Effects

Skye

19 SORCERER: Detects sorcerers only, including kits (in EE).

Just to clarify: you wrote "(in EE)" because only EE includes supports sorcerer kits by default, right? It sort of reads like "this will not detect sorcerer kits in non-EE games." Which I don't think is what you meant.

If that's right, probably best to simply omit that "(in EE)" bit, since it kind of invites (mis-)interpretation.

19 SORCERER: Detects sorcerers only, including kits (in EE).

Just to clarify: you wrote "(in EE)" because only EE includes supports sorcerer kits by default, right? It sort of reads like "this will not detect sorcerer kits in non-EE games." Which I don't think is what you meant.

If that's right, probably best to simply omit that "(in EE)" bit, since it kind of invites (mis-)interpretation.

You are right, it's a bit misleading. I've never seen Sorcerer kits in vanilla BG2 though.

there's no mod that adds sorcerer kits to the original game?

The non-EE game doesn't allow Sorcerer sub-kits. Just like the Monk and Barbarian doesn't, and there's no K_x_x for sorcerers. The EE game does... partily because there's already a second one in game.

I have made a sorcerer kit... with a fighter turned into a Sorcerer. I have it somewhere.... but I won't be able to find it, for now.

In non-EE game, even the mages don't have a non hardcoded subkit selection table.

Wait, now I need to clarify that also. The TOB engine doesn't allow sorcerer subkits *in the menus* ... but you can install sorcerer kits and use them with ShadowKeeper or AddKit/SuperAddKit, right?

I have definitely added monk kits to the old engine, I actually made a mod to back-port EE's Sun Soul and Dark Moon monks and it works fine, as long as you use an invisible CRE to do the kit change.

So my understanding is, contrary to Jarno's over-generalization, Monks and Sorcerers *do* allow kits to be added, but Barbarians don't, because barbarians are actually coded as a fighter kit.

AddKit...*

So my understanding is, contrary to Jarno's over-generalization, Monks and Sorcerers *do* allow kits to be added, but Barbarians don't, because barbarians are actually coded as a fighter kit.

*Yes.

Yes, you can make kits and have them in game, but not allowing the player easily to select it at the normal start of the game is a rather BIG problem. Just like you can't have more than 10 kits per class/race in the EE games.

"Ouh, and the Fighters are restricted to 9 on all the others than Dwarves. Cause the dwarf one has the be seen on the other races too !" .. yeah, you can fix that, but the actual solution will be the v1.4 update if it makes in.

extending kitlist and adding the k_* tables isn't enough? Just sounds odd, since it likely required extra work to disable.

Yeah, well they weren't building BG2:ToB from the start point, their aim was a bit smaller at first.

Sorry, but adding a functionality to a game usually takes more time than disabling them. Yes, the in game menues were in BG1 and the first engine didn't have kits. Yes, the mage subclasses are there in the original form in BG2 too, so this is a good piece of evidence... at least that's where I would take them from .. being from the original engine and all that. So ADDING KITs was likely the action taken, not disabling the bunch of them, especially when the ToB came about and added stuff, like the Wildmage kit and Barbarian "class".

all the kits are treated the same and work the same. But of course there are plenty of nasties inside, so perhaps they didn't update one of the hardcoded class lists or something similar (looking up to multiclasses?). Otherwise it *would* be extra work.

Archived