The shsforums dot net down. Up. And down.

Jarno Mikkola

Some questions regarding downloading mods from github (see link in sig for my repositories):

- my repositories don't contain setup-mymod.exe. Can the BWS provide weidu's executable (ex. by copying that of another mod), or should the mod on the repository provide said file?
- because of laziness, I have setup a single repository for multiple mods (generalized_biffing, ggib_tweaks, tb#characters, tb#kits, tb#tweaks and the shitty mods I made ten years ago all are under vbigiani/bigg_misc_mods, while Widescreen, Refinements and Stivan have their own repository). Should I split those mods into multiple repositories? Do note that extracting bigg_misc_mods's zip into your BG2 directory creates valid folder structures for all the listed mods.

Some questions regarding downloading mods from github (see link in sig for my repositories):

- my repositories don't contain setup-mymod.exe. Can the BWS provide weidu's executable (ex. by copying that of another mod), or should the mod on the repository provide said file?

- because of laziness, I have setup a single repository for multiple mods (generalized_biffing, ggib_tweaks, tb#characters, tb#kits, tb#tweaks and the shitty mods I made ten years ago all are under vbigiani/bigg_misc_mods, while Widescreen, Refinements and Stivan have their own repository). Should I split those mods into multiple repositories? Do note that extracting bigg_misc_mods's zip into your BG2 directory creates valid folder structures for all the listed mods.

1. Yes, it is covered by BWS. Every *.tp2 is checked and if there is an missing setup-*.tp2 then BWS will create one.

2. The best for BWS would be splitting those mods into multiple repositories. Everything is technically possible but it would be real pain in the ass for BWS. Please take look here: https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/src/3790d7e07d56a183700a87ea33690fb349b45708/BiG%20World%20Setup/Config/Global/?at=master to see how we are providing mod information. Also extracting several different mods only to install one is messy solution. You mods have very stable codebase and I don't think that it would be a big problem to push 10 repo once a year.

Regarding #2, if the player wants only generalized_biffing, you could download and extract bigg_misc_mods.zip; the other mods being extracted wastes disk space, but doesn't affect the game. However, choosing generalized_biffing and tb#tweaks means that bigg_misc_mods.zip is downloaded and extracted twice. If the latter case might lead to bugs, I'll see about creating dedicated repositories.

The real question is why a fat BWS exists. Do none of the many open source package managers work on windows?

I doubt it would be so dumb to download things several times, don't people also use it to just update mod setups? Also, technically it wouldn't need to extract/overwrite files, since you can do partial extraction. The recipe format needs another ini key to mark the desired subdir and the extraction routine needs to be slightly adapted.

I doubt it would be so dumb to download things several times, don't people also use it to just update mod setups?

The probable problem with a one large multi mod compilation reposatory is that if you download the archive, that then the programming in the BWS needs to be changed for that one single archive to separately just extract the files it needs. And I would assume that to be hard. The BWP's .bat file was build to take all the setup-**.exe's as markers if the mod is to be installed with a few other markers(some 50 possible choises), and install everything it can if the .exe was in the game folder, now the BWS evolved past the .bat solutions, but it's still basically there(as it was programmed to take those things in mind), and so not having mods in single repoes will add additional work. So that's why the request is to separate the repoes to save work from ALIENQuake. And the benefit is also that the single's worked before.

Of course the Bigg could also just make the mods their own compilation and see if people like the new format where all the mods come in a single mod under different component numbers, but I don't think you can really expect people to manually install Refinements, TB#Tweaks, Widescreen mod and Generalized Biffing under the same .tp2 file, or have them restart the .exe each time one should be installed... as you have to in manual install. In my honest opinion you could combine the Widescreen mod and Gen Biff, but not Refinements and TB#Tweaks with that very same mod. But those two could be their own mod. And then the Bigg has other mods on top of those.

It appears that deleting the old repository and re-uploading my mods on GitHub was faster than understanding and replying to Jarno's post.

Ha, see that was kinda the point. :pGot you. And yes, I had to edit the post a bit... whatever.

Archived