Steam and GOG versions of SOD + EET?

Ulb

I've just updated the package with additional FAIL messages and mtee.exe tool that will print command line messages. Please upload new full debug file - with these changes I will be able to check what has gone wrong. I'm also re-downloading clean version of Steam SoD to check it out once again.

Just a word of warning. The current WeiDU version v239 doesn't know of the new resource types (MENU, LUA and TTF) and uses the wrong type for WBM files. Files of these types won't be extracted correctly (or at all). You should wait for Wisp to release an updated WeiDU (these issues have already been fixed internally).

All LUA and MENU files are included in the package - they are copied over to override after weidu unbiffing is complete. Forgot about TTF files but from what I see they are already present in the vanilla game biffs, so probably not needed.

The file mod.key is directly in the sod-dlc.zip. However the location of the zp file itself is different depending on where you got the game, maybe directly in the game directory or in a subdirectory called either dlc or sod.

The zip itself contains folders

data

characters

movies

music

lang

mod.key (file)

console message:

[C:\BGEE\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\setup-UnzipSoD.exe] WeiDU version 2390

Using .\lang\xx_xx\dialog.tlk

Install Component [unzipSoD]?
nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Installing [unzipSoD] [beta 0.1]

WEIDU_OS = win32

7-Zip (A) 9.20 Copyright © 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Error:
cannot find archive
Copying and patching 1 file ...
FAILURE:
For some reason sod-dlc.zip has not been installed. Please send me .debug log.
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [unzipSoD], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 0 files for [uNZIPSOD/UNZIPSOD.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [uNZIPSOD/UNZIPSOD.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("For some reason sod-dlc.zip has not been installed. Please send
me .debug log.")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-UNZIPSOD.DEBUG to K4thos (swit)

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?

weidu log:

WeiDU v 23900 Log

C:\BGEE\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\setup-UnzipSoD.exe
[.\chitin.key] loaded, 517026 bytes
[.\chitin.key] 79 BIFFs, 36767 resources
[./goglog.ini] loaded, 86 bytes
[.\weidu.conf] loaded, 17 bytes
[.\lang\xx_xx\dialog.tlk] loaded, 4714594 bytes
[.\lang\xx_xx\dialog.tlk] 34000 string entries
WARNING: parsing log [WeiDU.log]: Sys_error("WeiDU.log: No such file or directory")

Using .\lang\xx_xx\dialog.tlk

Installing [unzipSoD] [beta 0.1]

WEIDU_OS = win32
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[unzipSoD/bash.debug] loaded, 100 bytes

7-Zip (A) 9.20 Copyright © 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Error:

cannot find archive

Copied [unzipSoD/bash.debug] to [unzipSoD/bash.debug] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
FAILURE:
For some reason sod-dlc.zip has not been installed. Please send me .debug log.

ERROR Installing [unzipSoD], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [unzipSoD/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "UnzipSoD/backup/0/OTHER.0")
[unzipSoD/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 0 files for [uNZIPSOD/UNZIPSOD.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [uNZIPSOD/UNZIPSOD.TP2] component 0.
Unable to Unlink [unzipSoD/backup/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "UnzipSoD/backup/0/READLN.0")
Unable to Unlink [unzipSoD/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "UnzipSoD/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
ERROR: Failure("For some reason sod-dlc.zip has not been installed. Please send me .debug log.")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-UNZIPSOD.DEBUG to K4thos (swit)

Btw, with what Argent77 said in mind I assume this method will still not work (properly) untill weidu 2.40 is released?

Edit: Btw bash.debug is empty..

The file mod.key is directly in the sod-dlc.zip. However the location of the zp file itself is different depending on where you got the game, maybe directly in the game directory or in a subdirectory called either dlc or sod.

The zip itself contains folders

For GOG the zip file is located directly in the main folder. I thought that was what Argent77 was referring to when he said sod/sod-dlc.zip .. :p

Btw, with what Argent77 said in mind I assume this method will still not work (properly) untill weidu 2.40 is released?

it should work.

cannot find archive

this is the reason why it fails for you. Please check if sod-dlc.zip is in following directory:

mainGameFolderNameDoesn'tMatter/dlc/sod-dlc.zip

edit:

For GOG the zip file is located directly in the main folder. I thought that was what Argent77 was reffering to when he said sod/sod-dlc.zip .. :p

aha, so it's different than on Steam. Wait a second and I will change it.

it should work.

cannot find archive

this is the reason why it fails for you. Please check if sod-dlc.zip is in following directory:

mainGameFolderNameDoesn'tMatter/dlc/sod-dlc.zip

Ah, so that was the problem.. GOG's version has it directly in the main folder e.g. mainGameFolderNameDoesntMatter/sod-dlc.zip

I've made a dlc folder and it is installing as I write this.

Thanks again K4thos! :)

Just an update:

Installation has finished. I experienced a bit of lag (not just in the game but on windows as well) but I assume that was just from my computer indexing those files or something, seems to work fine now.

Game runs slightly less smooth but mods can be installed and work without problems. I think generalized biffing won't work until the weidu update but afterwards it should fix any remaining performance issues.

Game runs slightly less smooth but mods can be installed and work without problems. I think generalized biffing won't work until the weidu update but afterwards it should fix any remaining performance issues.

I can biff these files if it changes anything (didn't notice any difference by doing so yet). generalized biffing don't have to be updated to work (it will just ignore those few unsupported files), so if you notice any difference after using it please let me know.

But before doing so it's worth resetting the PC and checking if lag is still there. From what I've noticed on my laptop SoD becomes quite laggy if I open some taxing programs in the background and later start the game. It definitely has higher requirements than patch 1.3 versions.

The version you've installed didn't have TTF files in the package, so just in case please extract them to your override: https://www.sendspace.com/file/d0ggpl

WeiDU v239 extracts WBM files incorrectly (they are named xyz.0X3FF) and contain no data. You should still be able to run the game, but background animations on a number of maps won't be displayed. You can quickly test it when you start a new SoD game. There should be steam or smoke rising up from the rift in the opening cutscene.

WeiDU v239 extracts WBM files incorrectly (they are named xyz.0X3FF) and contain no data. You should still be able to run the game, but background animations on a number of maps won't be displayed. You can quickly test it when you start a new SoD game. There should be steam or smoke rising up from the rift in the opening cutscene.

hmm, in that case it's indeed better to wait for new weidu. Packing up WBM files inside archive would be excessive. I will update the tool once the weidu becomes available.

edit: package updated with linux support (need testing)

I don't have any personal need to increase SoD's performance right now since I'm not going to play it outside EET anyway.. but at least now I can test my mods/work with the GOG version and have peace of mind that it will also work with EET. :)

Thanks again both of you.

I don't have any personal need to increase SoD's performance right now since I'm not going to play it outside EET anyway.. but at least now I can test my mods/work with the GOG version and have peace of mind that it will also work with EET. :)

Just did the conversion - it only took some minutes. Started a short test of SoD (my...is that GUI terrible...) and I do not have any performance issues. I did the whole installation in a *neutral* directory, not the proposed default.

So Ulb's performance issue may have another source.

Otherwise same as above *right now since I'm not going to play it outside EET anyway.. but at least now I can test my mods/work with the GOG version and have peace of mind that it will also work with EET.*

Just did the conversion - it only took some minutes. Started a short test of SoD (my...is that GUI terrible...) and I do not have any performance issues. I did the whole installation in a *neutral* directory, not the proposed default.

Otherwise same as above *right now since I'm not going to play it outside EET anyway.. but at least now I can test my mods/work with the [steam] version and have peace of mind that it will also work with EET.*

PS - did an install of BG1UB to test and it installed without issues.

Well, apart from the initial performance hit right after the conversion the game runs still fine.. it is just a little less smooth than before but no big deal.

Anyway.. I've got a new problem but I'm not sure if it is related to the whole .zip issue/the conversion or not.

I have installed my kit mod and all works fine except that the class description and class name on the in-game character sheet do not appear when I load a game in the SOD part (character creation works fine).

I load a game that is still in the BG1 part and the names appear just fine. As soon as I load a game that is in the SOD part it says "Ranger" instead of the "kit name".

I have checked with NI and the kit is still set right in the SoD saves. As a matter of fact, I can re-import the characters into a new BG1 game and the kit description will show up just fine.

Maybe someone with a Beamdog SoD version could give it a try and see if it works for them.

(This is a unfinished WIP version so ignore the outdated readme and such.. link)

SoD uses a bunch of new files for the SoD expansion, including a new baldur.bcs, clastext.2da and racetext.2da. You can look it up in the file CAMPAIGN.2DA (the one hidden in the SoD archive).

If I am correct, it means that if we want to have continuous NPCs with continuos behaviour etc we need to wait for for EET which makes it one game. (Or you need to do what you did before, create a mod for each part of the game. BGEE - SoD - BG2EE).

Archived