Steam and GOG versions of SOD + EET?

Ulb

The Steam and GOG versions of SoD use a zip file containing all mod resources and a mod-only dialog.tlk. That whole thing will probably make modding these versions rather difficult in general and might also cause issues for EET when porting stuff over to BG2EE.

Maybe you were already aware of this/already have some insight as to how EET will handle this that might also be of use to normal mods?

Check out this thread for more info.

The Steam and GOG versions of SoD use a zip file containing all mod resources and a mod-only dialog.tlk. That whole thing will probably make modding these versions rather difficult in general and might also cause issues for EET when porting stuff over to BG2EE.

Maybe you were already aware of this/already have some insight as to how EET will handle this that might also be of use to normal mods?

Check out this thread for more info.

If you are a good-hearted person you take it as a joke, this was done for April's Fools Day, hahaha.

If you are not, then take it as a slap in the face of all the modders and mod lovers that kept the game and interest in the game alive for the last 15 years...a misguided revenge attempt from industry, another fart from the bean dog.

If you are a good-hearted person you take it as a joke, this was done for April's Fools Day, hahaha.

If you are not, then take it as a slap in the face of all the modders and mod lovers that kept the game and interest in the game alive for the last 15 years...a misguided revenge attempt from industry, another fart from the bean dog.

Well, I try to stay calm and positive..though it is pretty hard to to so right now.

As I've just said over in the Beamdog thread:

Given that there are quite a few modders working for Beamdog and since Beamdog's own version (the one everyone else got to see during the beta) works perfectly fine, I just have to assume that this somehow just slipped through under the radar. Maybe there were only a few coders involved on Beamdog's side that weren't really aware of modding? I certainly hope so.

For now I hope that this is true and Beamdog will step up and somehow fix this.

Oh my God a software company did something short-sighted and now we are inconvenienced and some people will have to play a brand new game un-modded for a period of days or maybe even weeks! Run to the hills! Get your rifles! THIS, MEANS, WAR!!!

(^ see, *that* was an April Fool's joke. :p )

Actually that was just condescending.

Let's try to keep this a civil conversation?

As I've said before, I'm giving Beamdog the benefit of the doubt right now and assume that it was indeed just short-sightedness of some random coders that worked on porting the stuff to Steam/GOG.

It is a pretty sever issue though and should not have happened (since Beamdog is all about being "modder friendly" and such).

If Beamdog steps up and fixes the issue then all is fine.

Sorry Ulb, that was mostly in response to this:

a slap in the face of all the modders and mod lovers that kept the game and interest in the game alive for the last 15 years...a misguided revenge attempt from industry, another fart from the bean dog.

What pretty clearly happened is, the team that was working on packaging up the DLCs for Steam and GOG was a different team, and did not understand the consequences of using that particular method. All of the devs working on SoD (many of whom are former/current modders, including a number on this very messageboard) were using a version of the DLC that patches right over the base game... and that version is available to buy straight from Beamdog. And modding that version works perfectly fine. So it's pretty clearly NOT a "slap in the face" or "revenge" or anything like that. Just a bone-headed move by the guys giving the code to Steam and GOG. Or by Steam and GOG themselves for probably asking the code to be delivered that way.

In any event, there is zero chance this goes unaddressed for more than a couple weeks.

No worries and yeah, I think you are probably right with your assessment.

In any event, there is zero chance this goes unaddressed for more than a couple weeks.

I certainly hope so though I haven't had enough experience with Beamdog to be able to tell.

In any case, I think it is an important issue that needs to be discussed.

I've been thinking... Beamdog said several times that negotiations with GoG were not so smooth, maybe because GoG tried (and succeed) to force this DLC-zip kind of packaging?

This sounds more like Steam policy than GoG... to me. Looking how other games use steamworkshops for example, steam exclusive steam subscriber mods.

I've been thinking... Beamdog said several times that negotiations with GoG were not so smooth, maybe because GoG tried (and succeed) to force this DLC-zip kind of packaging?

Bean dog will claim they delivered correct and tested (and even moddable) code.

Gog or steam will claim that they are just the delivery service and it is not their code,

All of them will tell you that you that the game you purchased does everything they sold you.

As customer you have probably no right to claim that the game has to be moddable, that was just our wishful thinking...

(I can hear Cyric's giggle - he really would enjoy this)

I was really hoping there'd be 1 engine that could house all games and all mods. Is that possible now?

Soonish... when the K4thos releases the EET, and it gets's ~18 large patches. Well, except the IWD2(the areas that have not been converted by the moding community & ruleset/gameplay) and PST(same here).

It's in everybody's interest that this gets resolved. This game has survived all of these years because of the modding community. If one or two vendors release a (relatively) non-moddable version, then I suspect that they will a) hear about it and b) take a hit whre it hurts: sales. I know that I had planned to buy SoD from gog even though I already have it through beamdog. But, if this issue is not resolved, there would be no point

Archived