[help needed] Link to a program that could be used for "launcher menu" creation (or help with coding launcher)

2. Install EET

3. Open EET & Select Mod Manager
4. Select desired mods & install.
You could add button to check for updates to all installed mods and allow people to download and install the updates and then patch their existing games.
This would be complicated work obviously, but would be one wholistic way of serving player desires.

Aren't there supposed to be mods that you are supposed to install on bg1ee before you install eet if I understand correctly.

Not sure how many or how important to having a good time those subset of mods. It may be something that it's better to do it the way you are describing.

Bill Bisco, I'm not interested in maintaining other mods or fixing bugs in them. I mean sure, if that on the fly hotfixes patching will be implemented than we could include fixes for other mods but it wouldn't be me who write such fixes for stuff unrelated to EET. I simply have no time for this. And who would write such patches than? Implementing fixes directly to save files is one of the more difficult weidu tasks so don't expect community effort.

As for the mods installation BWS already does that job so I don't really see any benefit in duplicating its functionality.

I simply have no time for this. And who would write such patches than? Implementing fixes directly to save files is one of the more difficult weidu tasks so don't expect community effort.

If you can't do it, then why are you even asking for such ?

K4thos, I don't advocate you maintaining or fixing mods of others. That is time consuming and wasn't even in the scope of my proposal.

What I do advocate is that you consider allowing other mods to update in the launher other than EET.

And that you consider importing BWS' s structure for mod order installation. Theoretically, your launcher could use and update certain files from BWS to determine available mods and install order. You would need committed help with this anf I wouldn't advocate that you do it without that committed help.

If you choose not to pursue that route, I encourage you to heavily promote Big World Setup and to install EET through Big World Setup as It's the best and easiest way for people to enjoy EET and all the other mods that will feed into it.

There's a limited opportunity to show a united modding front. Right now the instructions for mod installation are haphazard and contradicting. It's important to work more cohesively and less singularly.

There's a limited opportunity to show a united modding front.

Well, I call this what it is and that's BULLSHIT. Other and complete.

If one want to install the EET and nothing else, then the easiest way to do so is to run a program that installs the EET and nothing else(assuming that the install maker already has the BGEE and BG2EE on their computer).. it's called manual install for reason.

Now, the BWS only comes in when the player want to not haphazardly take a swing out of the dark guessing and see what they hit when trying to install more than EET and a mod or ten billion of them(as the scope scales) without too much effort.

If you can't do it, then why are you even asking for such ?

not sure if I understand. If you mean feature 1 than I can do it for EET, if hotfixes will be needed. Don't have time to write patching code for mods that I don't know anything about. If you mean feature 2 than of course it works with everything and doesn't need any additional code.

What I do advocate is that you consider allowing other mods to update in the launher other than EET.

no problem with that. As I've already mentioned, if the feature will be implemented than if someone will send the fixes (already pre-made via weidu patching code) than they can be included because why not. I just don't think modders would be interested in writing such fixes (just look around forums - patches for ongoing games are rare thing and I've never seen any patch for save game, usually the best you can hope for is recommendation to use console - which is absolutely fine).

And that you consider importing BWS' s structure for mod order installation. Theoretically, your launcher could use and update certain files from BWS to determine available mods and install order. You would need committed help with this anf I wouldn't advocate that you do it without that committed help.

Sorry, I still don't get it. You don't need BWS to get the mod list installed on the game (all data is stored in weidu.log). Maybe you mean that some features mentioned in the first post should be implemented directly in BWS? I don't have any problem with that (all EET code is open source).

If you choose not to pursue that route, I encourage you to heavily promote Big World Setup and to install EET through Big World Setup as It's the best and easiest way for people to enjoy EET and all the other mods that will feed into it.

BWS is always recommended way to install many mods at once since it saves tons of time. It's mentioned in sticked topic and EET readme file.

There's a limited opportunity to show a united modding front. Right now the instructions for mod installation are haphazard and contradicting. It's important to work more cohesively and less singularly.

Does the launcher like this is somehow against it?

- patches for ongoing games are very rare thing, usually the best you can hope for is recommendation to use console).

The reason for this is the weidu.exe's commands, there's not one that allows you to edit the save games dialog.tlk file, only the main dialog.tlk, and to load that, you need to start a new game.

Patches that come up, the red text here for example are quite hard to implement to an area that already loaded to the save game.

Same thing comes up with broken spells, scripts, .cre files and so on.

So in order to present it as a nice menu rather than awkward weidu DOS like prompts we need to prepare a launcher like executable. Something like in the vanilla BG2 but maybe not so busy in design if creating context menu would be easier. I'm not aware about any programs that could be used for this purpose for both Windows and MAC OSX. Any ideas? Or maybe someone would be interested in writing such menu from scratch? All the menu should do is running console/terminal code after clicking on a button (so it can access weidu if needed).

Thanks in advance.

Anything I could write from scratch would be Windows-only (much like BWS). I could also probably hack the vanilla BG2 "baldur.exe" to update the graphics and sounds, and have the buttons direct to the new readme, updater, etc. and maybe even convert the MOVIES menu to switch between the GUIs. It would be more work than writing something from scratch (although it would be more aesthetically pleasing), but again it would be Windows-only. I'm afraid that is the extent of what my personal skill set has to offer...

no problem with that. As I've already mentioned, if the feature will be implemented than if someone will send the fixes (already pre-made via weidu patching code) than they can be included because why not. I just don't think modders would be interested in writing such fixes (just look around forums - patches for ongoing games are rare thing and I've never seen any patch for save game, usually the best you can hope for is recommendation to use console - which is absolutely fine).

Sorry, I still don't get it. You don't need BWS to get the mod list installed on the game (all data is stored in weidu.log). Maybe you mean that some features mentioned in the first post should be implemented directly in BWS? I don't have any problem with that (all EET code is open source).

BWS is always recommended way to install many mods at once since it saves tons of time. It's mentioned in sticked topic and EET readme file.

Yes, a feature to auto-check for new versions of mods, download them, and install them would be good/needed for BWS. A feature to update saves after mods are updated would be good/needed for BWS. Any ability to modularize those features to also include in BWS would be a Godsend.

Consider a moment the person's experience in trying to find out how to play modded BG games. We have several different forums, (SHS, G3, PPG, BWL, BGMODS, Beamdog. All of which have several different mods in different locations. Consider how a person would discover which mods are EE compatible, which ones aren't, and what order to install them in and how to install them?

Consider the fact that your magnum opus, EET, is nearing a full release (BGEE, BGSOD, BG2EE all-in-one). Consider that there is an opportunity to release this must have mod to the masses in unified modding front that supports not only EET, but TDD EET, Drizzt Saga, Ascension, etc.

Think of how much work you've done ensuring that all these other mods will properly work on the worldmap. Think of how much time you've spent trying to get other highly desired mods such as the NPC Project working for EET. Think of how you are personally invested in people playing more than just one mod, EET (including your second project IWD in EET). Think of how some modders are dependent on EET working and are personally invested in it.

Consider how your download link instructions are constructed.

Download links and installation instructions

Windows

Download link for beta 0.9

It is recommended that you disable virus scanners, spyware scanners, and other background on-the-fly file scanners during the installation. These programs have been known in some cases to interfere with the WeiDU installation process.

Installation within Program Files or Program Files (x86) is not recommended due to the potential for O/S related issues (e.g. UACtrouble). Unless you are sure that you have full UAC permissions consider moving BG:EE and BG2:EE outside this directory.

EET is packaged and installed with WeiDU and is distributed as a self-extracting archive. To install, simply double-click the archive and follow the instructions on screen.

Alternatively, the files can be extracted from the archive using WinRAR or 7zip and moved to your game folder. Your game folder should then contain a EET folder and setup-EET.exe. To install, double-click setup-EET.exe and follow the instructions on screen.

Please run setup-EET.exe in your game folder to reinstall, uninstall, or otherwise change components.

If you are planning to use other mods than you should consider using Big World Setup (support for EET will added to BWS soon) to download, extract and install EET and other mods. This approach will save you a lot of time and ensure that selected mods are compatible with EET and installed in the correct order.

Shouldn't this be:

Windows:

Download & Install EET through Big World Setup (View and install other mods as well) (Instructions)

Download link for beta 0.9

And, you should link to the direct download links for both to make it easier for people: https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/get/master.zip

Consider your Compatible Mods linked topic:

MOD COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR EET

Last Updated: 12.04.2016

This compatibility list will be frequently updated. It is highly recommended that you follow what is said here if you are planning to make EET installation with mods.

EET project aims to be a mod friendly platform and tries to get as much support as possible when it comes to compatibility with mods. EET comes with tools and modder resources designed for easier EET support implementation, and I'm offering advices and help with any cross-platform related coding task for already released and upcoming BG:EE and BG2:EE mods.. Hopefully this approach will result in a respectable compatibility list once the mod become officially released, so that it could appeal to both mod makers and mod players.

Installation tips and notes on compatibility

- after EET becomes officially released the Big World Setup installation utility will be updated to support this platform, which means at least Windows users will be able to automatically make installations with huge selections of mods without worring about install order and technical stuff.

- if you want to play with mods and don't use Big World Setup tool, it is highly recommended to check out the Big World Projectinstallation PDF file for a reference of the installation order and compatibility between mods. Just keep in mind that in EET game some BG1 mods need to be installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE.

- current compatibility between EET and other modifications are listed below.

- note that versions of modifications below those stated are not compatible.

- the compatibility list does not imply that the other modifications mentioned are compatible with each other. Make sure you understand the specific requirements of each modification by looking at their readmes before you go into hardcore mixing and matching.

- all modifications listed below support both EET Worldmap (when patched) and BP-BGT Worldmap. It's up to you which worldmap you will use.

Shouldn't this say:

MOD COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR EET

Windows:

Download Big World Setup to view up to date list of compatible mods (Instructions)

Sample list of EET Compatible Mods:

Please download Big World Setup to view an up to date list of compatible mods (Instructions)

Mac:

See below list of Mac supported Mods:

You can still list and show some mods that are compatible but the need to stay constantly updated on this page is lessened. It allows you to lean on ALIEN who is already curating and implementing a proper list of compatible mods. It allows you to have simpler instructions and avoid user errors and needless forks of instructions. This is what I mean by working together in a more unified manner and less singulary.

With regards to your proposed launcher, the degree to which you put Big World Setup first determines the use and effectiveness of your proposed launcher. The more that people use Big World Setup, the more that people will want to use your save game patching utility.

Archived