Adventurer's Miscellany (mod)

Yes, your feedback will be useful. I can respond to two of the points: the dice animation plays high over the heads of creatures, "north," which means it may be in the black zone if you stand by that border, and a value check for the dice game is barely possible and would be too complicated. The value of an item is not a statistic that can be checked in any way in the game. In my "Detect Magic" I flagged the more expensive scrolls and items "cold iron," and then the invisible minion checking the inventory could something to react to and display a corresponding message, but it was a very rough distinction, between items costing 5000 gp and more and everything cheaper. The dice game scripts in this mod are extremely complicated, these days I wouldn't even undertake to write something like that. To add to them... no. Besides, even if an NPC's items could be valued in absolute terms, there is no way to weigh them against the wager of the PC, that's for sure.

I don't know about the others yet. I make mods on a 32-bit computer, so I can't install the 2.6 patch and see what's wrong easily. I'll look into that soon, though. Be a gent and try using the other ability of the flares - present them to someone. Is there a black stain on the ground after the bang?

Guest Modtester

Yes, after presenting the flares to someone else there was a black stain on the ground and my  was face red xD. So i think it works as intended.

I should have been more specific about the dice animation: What you describe is what i was suggesting. I just think the animation is a little bit too high. It is not really a big issue though especially if you have the scrolling out of bounds game option activated (i just dont like this option)

There is something that came to my mind regarding the value of wagers in the dice game: I dont think it is actually necessary to apply a value check to the mechanics of the game to solve the issue. In most cases npcs dont have some super high value items to wager so this is not a problem. It is only problematic for a handful of npcs with high value items like Algernon (Out of the top of my head there are only 3 npcs in BG1). For these you could do something like this: Since the dice game is triggered through a spell that you cast on the npc via the item it is possible to give those npcs an immunity to this spell. And it is possible to apply item checks for dialog triggers. For example we could give Algernon this immunity with a text string like "bring something of more value and i am willing to play against you" and then if you have lets say a ring of protection+1 in your inventory you get a dialog option to offer the ring as a wager which then triggers the dice game. The effective result is a miniquest series based on that minigame.

It's high in order for the dice to be rolled on the same eye level regardless of the height of the players and easy for the player in front of the screen to discern. See the dragon screenshot. You still see the dice, don't you? And the idea with dialogue options couldn't work. The system checks for items in the inventory and uses them as the wager. It couldn't tell if the items were valuable or not, kicked off through a dialogue or directly. Not without writing a long list of specific items in BG1 valuable enough for Algernon to bet against his cloak, and for all of the other NPC with valuable items for each of the games. I'm not going to do that. I understand the problem with getting Carsomyr for a turnip, as someone has written here (although that's actually not such a good example, there are sore losers in the world...), but no interface exists for this kind of activity. In more modern games there are probably ready windows and mechanisms for minigames and exchange.

I could simply make Algernon and the others refuse to play, but I prefer the minigame to be more useful, not less. If the party can win something valuable from them for cheap, that's a role-playing opportunity and a way to avoid dumb combat or stealing. Balance is less important than fun. Who would care to play if there was nothing valuable to gain? Also there are some restraints. Not everyone agrees to play a second time after winning, for example. If the party loses and Algernon refuses a rematch, it's either a reload, for those who care to go that way, or they'll have to live with that in this playthrough. Cheating at dice is also risky. I'll think if I can use another item flag to set apart mildly valuable items, though.

By the way, I think you are going to have a problem with oil on the ground after the 2.6 patch, too. Try that and see if it even appears.

Edited by temnix
Guest Modtester

The oil animations and functions seem fine (all 3 of them).

I dont think that wagering a turnip vs Carsomyr is a problem in the case of Firkraag. He is a Red Dragon with chaotic evil alignment after all. Maybe it is part of one of his schemes, who knows what he is up to. That means wagering Carsomyr for a turnip is pretty much in character in this case and therefore doesnt break immersion. I was never concerned about potential game balance problems (whatever that means in a single player rpg, this is not an e-sports game and for the challenge i usually have scs installed). And you could always just use pickpocketing or in the case of dragons reload until your chromatic orb kills it. While playtesting the issue i had with Algernon is that his behavior was a moment disbelief from an immersion standpoint of view. Btw i didnt notice that npcs could refuse after winning, Algernon was the only one i played multiple times in a row he won 3 or 4 times in a row and i kept playing him (no reload) until i got the cloak and my stuff back on top. That made me assume npcs always accept the challenge.

In most cases the dice game works perfectly fine. With that example I just wanted to point out that there might be some rare edge cases that could break immersion and need maybe a closer look. That is the feedback that i wanted to give to you

Guest Morgoth
On 5/12/2022 at 3:32 AM, temnix said:

No. There are enough glitches and problems with this one, but it's playable. And stop asking for stuff. Go make your own.

I saw you complaining in the past about players not playing your mods. But when you're offered feedback (and I remember to have given some to you in the past) you simply said I should have been silent. When people tell you about things to be ironed out, you should listen to them. These are players that are enjoying your work.

I didn't give feedback on this mod for one reason - I knew it would be unheard. I will still write it, just for anyone reading. This is a good mod, but the issue is that it has a few issues and feels unrefined.

One example (I hope it pertains to this mod, because it's been a while since I've had it installed): the amount of gold coins and sometimes the notes on the commoners are clone of each other. So if you killed two commoners, they would have the same amount of coins (eh) and a note or the clothing thing. Kinda, mmm, unimmersive.

There is no point to giving feedback on a mod that is not going to be updated. I WAS going to make an update with twice the fun, but that is now buried. So yes, there are issues here, and some actual bugs, but you will just have to live with that. But you can help me make music for the last mod.

Grout.jpg.dfdf6ea9a77390db5d96ac2c51867956.jpg

Claw.jpg.6e9f76c413e54974b2e3fd69c83831cb.jpg

Tooth.jpg.922b5b26d4503cfec5763a987e60d01d.jpg

Baldr047.jpg.0df885b17c8af1e4deeb19389c614286.jpg

Edited by temnix