SubtleMods: 5E Spellcasting Rules Conversion

This mod lacks compatibility with Item Revisions 'Potion of Memory.' Replacing the vanilla Potion of Insight, this potion restores two previously cast spells of level 4 or lower into memory. It has no function with 5E Spellcasting Rules Conversion installed.

(Of course I know compatibility with other mods ain't your responsibility, but I just wanna note it here so the things I find are documented. 🙂)

6 hours ago, pencey said:

Item Revisions 'Potion of Memory.' Replacing the vanilla Potion of Insight, this potion restores two previously cast spells of level 4 or lower into memory. It has no function with 5E Spellcasting Rules Conversion installed.

Hm, yes. I suppose not. That spell/potion cannot really work that way with this mod… I guess I had not address it yet. 

I recommend using my Random Tweaks mod, specifically the component that changes Wondrous Recall to give you all 1st and 2nd level slots. That component does work with IR potions of memory, and then this mod, installed after, will work with both the spell and the potion. 

2 hours ago, jastey said:

I forgot where exactly you are using the fatigue value to detect a rest, but I just learned that there is items in SoD and mods that set the fatigue value to 0 while equipped and some also give immunity to fatigue.

My mod(s) alter several spells and items to account for this. I think like yours (?) my mod changes the baseline to fatigue = 1. So any item that sets fatigue to 0, I make it set fatigue to 1 so that neither your mod not mine would be affected. For resources that prevent any fatigue changes via opcode 101, I change them to apply an .eff that repeatedly sets fatigue to 1. (I think - it's been a while since I wrote that.)

The code my mods use is here.

Ooh, you have it covered already. You are smarter than me.

Thanks for the link. I am considering rather patching scripted rests via "Rest(Player1)" by patching all scripts that contain this [because what I want to achieve is resting my 7th pmm NPCs). It is probably more stable than me editing items. But that's off topic for this thread.

Something weird (and harmless?).

1) Get Jaheira at level 2/2. Use the NPCs Enhanced book to reset her, changing her proficiencies and giving her one more WIS point. Retain the Forest Druid kit from F&P as a F/D druid.

2) Use 5E's memorize power, change the lv1 spells to memorize, and rest. Nothing wrong, yet.

3) She gets hit by a carrion crawler and paralyzed. I was trying to look for something else so I mindlessly Ctrl+R her and finish the fight.

4) She suddenly starts casting Iron Skin. And the spell menu show me this:

06GjpSR.jpg

5) Going through the memorize>rest process reverts whatever happened. Another Ctrl+R repeats the issue though.

I tried to test if a temple resurrection would trigger the issue as well, but I can't reproduce it anymore except for those 2lv spells, and my only clue is 5E's memorization process (although I think those spells are assigned to the kit?). I'm completely flabbergasted, but at least I do not expect it to happen during normal gameplay.

5E’s bookkeeping uses op233 effects in various hidden bytes of various hidden proficiencies to remember your casting slots. And whenever you cast a spell it applies an op233 effect on the appropriate prof/byte with a value of -1. 

Hitting ctrl-R removes the op233 effects, setting your casting slots to zero. But it doesn’t remove the spells from the UI. So when you cast a spell and apply that -1 to your zero, the value wraps around. The bytes are spaced 16 points apart so wrapping around from zero shows 15. It may not actually be 15; it may behave weirdly in these instances. 

Whenever you rest it recalculates your casting slots and removes the -1 adjustments from the previous day, so it all fixes itself. But long story short, don’t use ctrl-R with this mod. (Also don’t use EEKeeper, since it apparently applies some kind of ctrl-R analogue without telling you, and it can bork things.)

Edited by subtledoctor

This mod has been updated to version 2.0. This updates some code under the hood, and improves compatibility with the other mods in my big shakeup.

The only new thing for players is a more limited version of the 5E Casting conversion: "5E Casting for Bards." This used to be an option in Might & Guile; now it is removed from that mod and moved here. If you want your wizards and priests to cast spells normally but give bards the ability to be more improvisational with their spellcasting, you can now do that here. This component works with both traditional bards, and the Might & Guile multiclass "Revised Bards" kits.

On 10/4/2023 at 6:17 PM, subtledoctor said:

But long story short, don’t use ctrl-R with this mod. (Also don’t use EEKeeper, since it apparently applies some kind of ctrl-R analogue without telling you, and it can bork things.)

How about Near Infinity, @subtledoctor?   Is save editing with NI also of concern for how this mod works?