Mages Can't Use Scrolls

Guest Mage Problems

6 minutes ago, jastey said:

Since I was planning on an "EndlessSoA" standalone mod myself, what was the problem here?

I haven't researched the issue.  Something just sent them to the place with the heads right away.  It shouldn't have with Transitions loaded.  Again, works on my end, but I haven't tested it with all the mods other folks use - especially SCS.  I dread loading SCS just to test this since it takes so long to install.  But if I can't track it down, I'll eventually have to.  I'll be working on Transitions in a few weeks - when I get Framed finished.

Edited by Lauriel
Guest Mage Problems

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's some compatibility thing and Transitions is just the only mod I could track it to. Otherwise, I'm sure someone else would have noticed this by now! I figured if it couldn't be fixed, then at least if someone else has the same problem, they'd have somewhere to start.

(I definitely was playing in EET, by the way.)

This just happened to me.  Dynaheir became unable to use most wands (she seems to be restricted to the ones thieves can use by default, so Magic Missile and Sleep, but not the Fireball or Monster Summoning) and she can no longer learn spells from scrolls or use scrolls.  Drake likewise can now use Magic Missile wands, but can't use priest scrolls or wands.  The rest of their item usability has not changed.  I do not have transitions installed, but I do have EET installed.  Everything ran smoothly all the way through BG1 and its only with the SoD transition that this problem has occurred.

I notice that there's a local called BDAI_DISABLE_ITEMS flagged to 1 Drake, but Dynaheir doesn't seem to have the same Local flagged on her character.

6 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

This just happened to me.  Dynaheir became unable to use most wands (she seems to be restricted to the ones thieves can use by default, so Magic Missile and Sleep, but not the Fireball or Monster Summoning) and she can no longer learn spells from scrolls or use scrolls.  Drake likewise can now use Magic Missile wands, but can't use priest scrolls or wands.  The rest of their item usability has not changed.  I do not have transitions installed, but I do have EET installed.  Everything ran smoothly all the way through BG1 and its only with the SoD transition that this problem has occurred.

Any other mods installed other than EET?  Though I am relieved you didn't have Transitions installed so it can be ruled out (almost) as the contributing culprit. 

EDIT: At least it's not a common factor...

Edited by Lauriel
Guest Mage Problems

I would suggest looking at mods we both happened to share, but it might be that it's common to things more than one mod does between BG1/SOD/BG2. And I didn't have the problem with Endless BG1 myself...

On 3/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, subtledoctor said:

Did you do a ctrl-R on the character(s) at some point? Or change thigns with EEKeeper? Or, does anyone know if EET itself does something equivalent to ctrl-R whne moving between campaigns?

Just to be clear: if I read your post correctly, scrolls are usable when you start a new game in the SoD/SoA campaign, but they are not usable when you transition a game directly from BG1 into SoD or SoA?

(Btw learning spells from scrolls is a different mechanism from casting spells from scrolls. The former relies on the exclusion flags in the spell file, while the latter relies on the exclusion flags in the item file. It's totally possible to restrict one but not the other.)

If you are able to, can you compare the two saves, one where Imoen can use the scroll and one where she cannot use the scroll, and tell us what the "SPECIFIC" value is for Imoen's character?

Where would I check for the SPECIFIC value?  Is this a local or something else? @subtledoctor

Guest Mage Problems
On 3/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, subtledoctor said:

Did you do a ctrl-R on the character(s) at some point? Or change thigns with EEKeeper? Or, does anyone know if EET itself does something equivalent to ctrl-R whne moving between campaigns?

Just to be clear: if I read your post correctly, scrolls are usable when you start a new game in the SoD/SoA campaign, but they are not usable when you transition a game directly from BG1 into SoD or SoA?

(Btw learning spells from scrolls is a different mechanism from casting spells from scrolls. The former relies on the exclusion flags in the spell file, while the latter relies on the exclusion flags in the item file. It's totally possible to restrict one but not the other.)

If you are able to, can you compare the two saves, one where Imoen can use the scroll and one where she cannot use the scroll, and tell us what the "SPECIFIC" value is for Imoen's character?

Since the bug appears to be less just-me than I thought, I'll try to answer some of this:

I did do a Crtl-R on Dynaheir once in BG1 because god she's a gib magnet and I did change someone else's kit with EEKeeper, but everything behaved perfectly fine afterwards. It only went weird when I transitioned into SOD. And the big oddity: it affected Edwin. I've never had Edwin in my party ever, never touched him. Didn't even bother to talk with him in BG1. I only picked him up in SOD, and that's where I noticed the problem.

You are correct about your understanding of my problem.

And I sadly don't have the saves anymore, I started new ones once it seemed like I'd isolated what was causing the problem.

7 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Endless BG1 v6.0 ????? I'm not sure how or why, but this seems to do something at the transition between BG1 and BG2

Actually, it doesn't - it only delays the time when the original transition from BG1 to SoD is called. But once it happens, the transition is the original one, with no changes (and even less meddling than Transitions does :) )

7 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Jastey's SoD Tweakpack v4

I woudn't know how any of the tweaks would affect this. None deal with item/magic usability nor touch the SoD transition.