Icewind Dale in EET: What form should this mod take?

Icewind Dale in EET: What form should this mod take?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As of a few days ago, k4thos returned to us with news:  IWD-in-EET is partially done, but there's the question of how best to implement IWD content in EET.  The original scope involved IWD1 and 2 using EEex to do something to convert this mod - and maybe all of EET - to use some version of D&D 3.x rules.  With EE game version 2.6.x released that made EEex incompatible due to 2.6's new 64 bit architecture, the original plan will no longer work.  (EEex is seemingly being totally rewritten to work on 2.6, but its public release date as of this writing is TBA.)

Many people - including my family and me - still want to experience IWD-in-EET in some form!  For me, the D&D 3.x rules are optional:  I most want the ability to play the games in EET's engine and I've heard others most want this as well.  Plot-wise, the IWD1 & 2 disparate timelines have already been handled by whoever's written for this game.  Remember, the IWD game series never starred its plot:  It was focused on fights with the occasional puzzle or dialog.

What say you?

Thankee!

My vote was for content only, but honestly it should be: whatever has highest chance of completion.

I have no horse in this race as I'm not particularly invested in the IWD content in EET (I don't think it can be integrated that well in terms of plot / balance but I would like to be proven wrong) but still, I think it is great project for those interested. Yet my understanding is that while IE modding scene is not exactly dying, it isn't "growing" either, and with how things are (and this is by no means criticism of anyone especially k4thos, because modders and supporting community do tremendous amount of work and should be praised for it) I think best course of action is to get something "done" as fast as possible even if it means cutting out some things. This would have highest chance of success and community experiencing said content. And my understanding is that with such "conversion" mod, at later date another mod could bring missing content / rules that were omitted due to complexity / amount of work or missing tools like EEex

Edited by Xarn

IMHO,

IWD:EE content should be the core of IWD-in-EET, and should be released as soon as it is ready without waiting on anything from IWD2.  If any part of IWD2 (or all of "Icewind Dale 2 Game ONLY: Includes levels, creatures, items, spells, etc. EXCLUDES all D&D 3.x content.") is to be added, it should come as a subsequent expansion to IWD-in-EET released down the road.  I have no interest in D&D 3.x rules, but if they are to be added, do so as a separate, optional, component to be released independently of and after any other IWDEE/IWD2 content.

Essentially, break up the gargantuan project that is IWD-in-EET into manageable, independent chunks and release them as you go.  Don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks, especially if a burnout approaches.  There is a whole community of modders willing to back this project and contribute toward it.  Make a devel branch of the project, and make "internal" updates publicly available and transparent.  Commit to this branch early and often, irregardless of testing, feature completeness, or stability.  Be sure to clearly specify this branch is to capture still-in-progress-updates and is not to be played.

But I'm not K4thos and my opinion counts very little here.

IWDinEE is for IWD to be in the (BG)EE games, if there's will to do IWD2inEE, that's for that project. And then the IWD2RulesinEE ... all could be in the same overall forum structure sure. But I prefer separate downloads. Not that I'll use a download link, but a massive program that will come later.

6 hours ago, Sam. said:

IMHO,

IWD:EE content should be the core of IWD-in-EET, and should be released as soon as it is ready without waiting on anything from IWD2.  If any part of IWD2 (or all of "Icewind Dale 2 Game ONLY: Includes levels, creatures, items, spells, etc. EXCLUDES all D&D 3.x content.") is to be added, it should come as a subsequent expansion to IWD-in-EET released down the road.  I have no interest in D&D 3.x rules, but if they are to be added, do so as a separate, optional, component to be released independently of and after any other IWDEE/IWD2 content.

Exactly my thoughts.