Mordenkainen's Sword

Mordenkainen's Swords should break invisibility.

edit: As should simulcrum.

// mordy sword, simulcrim should break invisibility
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi716.spl~ ~override~
             ~spwi804.spl~ ~override~
 READ_BYTE  0x19 "flags"
 WRITE_BYTE 0x19 ("%flags%" BOR 0b00000100) // adds break invis flag
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

I disagree with Simulacrum. Game mechanics dictate that this summons another creature, but the spell is illusionary. You're creating an illusionary copy of yourself, not summoning some being into existence. All other illusionary spells (mislead and project image) don't break invisibility, and I don't see how Simulacrum is any different.

As for Mordenkainen's Sword; it appears that the change from create magical weapon to summon creature was really a last-minute thing (they didn't really change anything other than the effect list, leaving it as an abjuration spell that doesn't break invisibility).

I disagree with Simulacrum. Game mechanics dictate that this summons another creature, but the spell is illusionary. You're creating an illusionary copy of yourself, not summoning some being into existence. All other illusionary spells (mislead and project image) don't break invisibility, and I don't see how Simulacrum is any different.

*coughs politely* Would now be a good time to say I got this from your fixpack?

It's a good point though, and should probably be dropped--I didn't check the other illusion spells.

Your version being too old to being really indicative of my current state of mind. I didn't update these until recently, where I changed Mordenkainen's Sword to conjuration (which got me thinking about Simulacrum, and I decided to drop the change).

It's coded as an illusionary spell, and uses the project image effect. I would have thought that True Sight would dispel the illusion (if it wasn't hard-coded, I'd call *that* the bug).

EDIT: it looks like it should work; I guess someone needs to check if simulacrums have gender: illusionary

You know, I'd never really thought much about Simulacrums before. I'd always assumed they were illusionary copies in the same vein as Mislead and Project Image. There's nothing in the spell description indicating that they should be, but the spell school is "illusion" which I'd say is fairly conclusive.

In PnP, a Simulacrum is a kind of lesser clone, with a real physical presence and it's own mind. It is an illusion, but True Seeing is only supposed to show it as a simalcrum and not dispel it. It also has to be made out of ice or snow, but hey.

Archived