Made another biggish BG2 install

Uh oh,  had an issue with saves corrupting and the game crashing on load a week-ish back. The issue in my game, was an npc bugged out when leaving a screen, and rather than despawning, was always on the current map somewhere trying to trigger a script that couldn't trigger under the circumstances. I'd have exactly 3 seconds before crash on loading a save. Do any of the mod npcs you have installed use a teleport script to leave the map instead of just walking out?

Huh. That's interesting - I just tried to load the save and when the game came up I immediately hit the 'pause' button.  Result: as long as the game is paused, the app is okay. When I unpause, it runs for one second and then *crash.*

So it is not the save being corrupted, but some script that is running.

12 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Huh. That's interesting - I just tried to load the save and when the game came up I immediately hit the 'pause' button.  Result: as long as the game is paused, the app is okay. When I unpause, it runs for one second and then *crash.*

So it is not the save being corrupted, but some script that is running.

Yeah, I could keep it running as long as it was paused. Sounds like you have the exact same issue I did. 

When I had the issue, Bubb offered to check my save and override for me. My specific issue was Skie constantly trying to activate a script that couldn't fire under the game circumstances. Bubb fixed it by removing her teleport script.

31 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

When I had the issue, Bubb offered to check my save and override for me. My specific issue was Skie constantly trying to activate a script that couldn't fire under the game circumstances. Bubb fixed it by removing her teleport script.

Was she in your party? I never had her in my party.  (Also not sure what her teleport script is... probably her override script?)

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Was she in your party? I never had her in my party.  (Also not sure what her teleport script is... probably her override script?)

She was not in my party, she just kept appearing in random corners of every map I visited to crash the game. Let me see if I can quote Bubb.
Looks like not as much was in a private message as I thought. The full conversion is buried very deep on a discord channel. But, "I removed the jumping effect from skie, so it shouldn't crash anymore. Skie is probably in limbo permanently though."
It WAS something in the override. Whatever Bubb removed, my save worked again.

I've looked at Skie's override script and references to that mod in baldur.bcs, but I can't really make heads or tails of it - it is really not my strong area. I don't know if "teleport" is something done by a .SPL file, or some kind of MoveTo script action, or what.

Maybe @Bubb is around here and can give a bit more specific direction?

I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I think Skie got interrupted executing:

EscapeAreaMove("AR0700",3325,1240,SSW)

(this is from a dialog)

The engine uses opcode 186 to actually move the creature, and that effect got saved on her CRE entry in the SAV. On load the engine processes this opcode before the game has been fully initialized and it crashes. Edit: Or something like that; iirc when Skie attempts to move it crashes because she's not internally assigned to an area.

Edited by Bubb
Grammar is hard

It’s not clear it’s a bug with Skie. It may be a bug with some other mechanism that just interacted with Skie in thac0Bell’s game. In my game Skie appeared to thank me 5 or 10 in-game days ago, and then left. So it seems unlikely it is related to her in my game, unless she has some further scripted interaction I’m not aware of. 

I’ll play back to that point and keep saving and reloading more often, to try to pay attention to when the issue starts. When I can anyway - got to take some time off the game to get other stuff done. 

28 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

It’s not clear it’s a bug with Skie. It may be a bug with some other mechanism that just interacted with Skie in thac0Bell’s game. In my game Skie appeared to thank me 5 or 10 in-game days ago, and then left. So it seems unlikely it is related to her in my game, unless she has some further scripted interaction I’m not aware of. 

I’ll play back to that point and keep saving and reloading more often, to try to pay attention to when the issue starts. When I can anyway - got to take some time off the game to get other stuff done. 

She appeared and thanked me in my game as well. She left and sometime later, she just kept appearing on maps to crash my game.

It wasn't exactly the save/mod itself, as when investigating Thacobell sent me his savegame and the crash did not happen on my game, so I think it was something very random and unique, not something that usually happens. I checked the script and everything "around" that event and I wasn't able to reproduce it.