[regression] Full IWD soundsets

CamDawg

I'm not patching the original sets and I've only covered the English voices alone. I don't know if I have access to translations (I have oIWD on GoG but I never checked which dubs are available there).

This is actually a problem. We need to gather the dubbed sets and then ACTION_IF which set we copy to override based on that because not everything can be copied into the relevant language folder alone.

Edited by Graion Dilach

I've got code-in-hand and am currently working on this. Once I identify the sound files that are missing and pull them from oIWD, the rest of the process is pretty automatic.

The downside is that each language will need to identify what's missing and provide these sound files from their own language-specific version of oIWD. The silver lining is that once the right files are extracted, you can dump them into a folder and the code should do the rest.

OK, this is done. It's a ton of work if someone wants to do this for non-English installs, but I'll provide instructions if anyone wants to do this. You'll need Near Infinity, oIWD+HoW in your language, IWDEE in your language, and maybe a half day of free time.

oIWD has 30 soundsets of 40 sound files each, of which IWDEE uses 25 sounds in each. What we need to do is identify the missing 15 sounds in each soundset and then export them into a folder with Near Infinity. The fun part is that it's not consistently the same 15 sounds in each soundset so you'll have to go through a lot of sound files.

Apologies for the code, but the map between games is in this table:

DFF_, female_fighter_1 => ~%ffight1%~

The DFF_xx.wav files in the sounds/female_fighter_1 folder from oIWD gets converted to the lang/yy_yy/sounds/ffight1z.wav files in IWDEE. If the oIWD folder name or file prefixes are different in your language, that's fine, I just need to know so I can set up the appropriate conversion table.

When I refer to oIWD sounds, I'll use the last two digits, e.g. the DFF_08.wav sound will be called the '08' sound. For IWDEE, it'll just be the last character, e.g. the ffight1a.wav sound will just be called 'a'. When you export the sounds you don't need to rename them, and the exact export format (WAV or original) doesn't matter either as I can work with either.

• Export the charstr.2da file from oIWD.
  • For each soundset export the following:
    • Morale Break: Export the oIWD 01 and 02 sounds as these are always needed.
    • Battle Cries: Compare the five 03-07 sounds in oIWD against the three a, 8, and 9 sounds in IWDEE. Export the two that are missing in IWDEE.
    • Leader: Compare the 08 and 09 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's b sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.
    • Tired: Compare the 10 and 11 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's c sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.
    • Bored: Compare the 12 and 13 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's d sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.
    • Hurt: Compare the 14 and 15 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's e sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.
    • Selection: Compare the seven 16-22 sounds against IWDEE's four f, g, h, and 0 sounds. Export the three that are missing in IWDEE.
    • Damage: Compare the three 34-36 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's l sound. Export the two that are missing in IWDEE.
    • Dying: Compare the 37 and 38 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's m sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.
    • Party Death: Compare the 39 and 40 oIWD sounds against IWDEE's w sound. Export the one that's missing in IWDEE.

I found it easiest to have a copy of NI running oIWD and a copy running IWDEE in adjacent windows so I could compare the sounds directly.

Once done zip up all of the exported sound files and charset.2da and send them over.

All four rare selects and the seven action sounds are already included and working, hence no need to review them.

edit: Just so this information doesn't get lost somewhere:

• Action: The seven oIWD sounds 23-29 are already fully included in IWDEE as i, j, k, s, t, u, and v.
  • Rare Select: The four oIWD sounds 30-33 are already fully included in IWDEE as x, y, _, and #.

Edited by CamDawg