Bypassing physical resistance?

Hi,

I wanted to ask is it possible for melee attacks to bypass the natural resistance of a creature?

For example, creature A using a weapon which deals 20 slashing damage every hit, hits creature B who has a passive +50% slashing damage resistance = 10 damage dealt.

Is it possible for creature A's slashing damage to be able to bypass the 50% resistance which would allow the damage dealt to always be 20 or would I have to modify something on the weapon itself to allow it to happen. I know for magic you can set dispel/bypass but I am not sure when it comes to creatures/weapons.

I've only been doing this a few weeks, so wait until a veteran comes along before wasting too much time on my response.

Here's what weidu could do:

1. scan for all CREs with the various physical resistances
  2. create EFFs that multiply damage of the type resisted by an amount that essentially negates the resistance
  3. apply those EFFs to the appropriate weapons that deal the relevant damage types and have them target the appropriate CREs

Guest Graion@Work

You probably (read: I haven't tested it) can pull this off via adding a shortly timed respective resistance opcode with type 1 (to flatly set the resistance to 0) just before the Damage opcode so that the resistance opcode gets resolved first.

One thing I really like about 5E, from what I've read, is the idea that you can have resistance (50% resist) or immunity (100% resist) and nothing in between. None of this graduated "get 10% here, get 15% there" stuff, and no worrying about what stacks with what. It would make stuff like this so much easier to deal with.

But yeah Graion's thing should work. Assuming resistances are detectable as stats (I'm pretty sure they are) on the EEs you can put a filter so the effect only works on targets with resistance = 99% or lower.

Can someone describe what exactly goes in the ITM file that achieves this?  I only know EFF targeting, and STATS isn't an IDS.

Edited by Awachi

Re-reading the first post, it seems like this is not possible. Weapon damage is in the header, not in effects, so you cannot apply an effect that will affect the target's resistance to the base weapon damage. Now this description is ambiguous:

On 4/11/2022 at 12:06 AM, Moonboy187 said:

a weapon which deals 20 slashing damage every hit,

That's a weird way to describe what a weapon does, which is usually more like "1dx+y slashing damage every hit." If you mean the weapon does 1dx+y damage plus a flat bonus of 20 slashing damage on top of that, then you can put the bonus 20 damage in an effect and then you can make this work.

But if you meant that the base weapon damage is simply 20 damage (presumably coded as 20d1+0 or 0d0+20) in the weapon header, then this won't work.

Tinkering with resistance values can only affect what comes after said tinkering. Header's damage is applied before any of the additional effects, so you can't modify it with the latter. You can move damage from header into EFF, but then you'll lose any STR/prof/etc. bonuses.

No on a per-hit basis. I mean, you could have the weapon cast a spell upon equipping that eliminates all enemies' physical resistances... but I don't think that is the intent.

Like I say, it's actually unclear what the intent is here. Not worth going too far down rabbit holes unless the OP clarifies whether that "20 slashing damage" is base damage or bonus damage.

Thank you all for the replies.

Basically what my intent was that if the players party has some characters wearing items which grant a cumulative +50% damage resistance to Slashing, would it be possible for the ai creatures to attack said character and deal more damage than the current resistance would normally protect against. That was my thinking, one of the mods I have installed allows for Shadow Magic and one of the spells lowers the physical resistsance of a creature by 20% for 1 turn. I wasnt sure if you could replicate a similar effect, but instead of it being a spell, it was a passive effect. 

The 20 slashing damage was just a damage example i was giving assuming the creature was wielding a weapon which only dealt 20 damage.

Edited by Moonboy187