I wish for a sea adventure

I wish someone would make a sea area. With a few islands, possibly. Some device to move about the water - have a wizard cast water walking on them, possibly. The problem with these games now is that all of the areas have been visited and gone over and modded into time and again. A few people have drawn new maps, but those are always on land somewhere. Another temple or dungeon. The old "golden box" games at least let us imagine wonderful places, because so much there was text. Here it's land, ogres and some merchant in a corner selling upgraded swords. Irenicus running with Bhaal blah. Where is my brig to sail across and to an adventure?

So instead of land, you'd want a map that's a ship, unless this is for aquatic races only?  I used to make maps for other games by just c&p whatever, but I think it's more difficult for IE

2 hours ago, temnix said:

I wish someone would make a sea area. With a few islands, possibly. Some device to move about the water - have a wizard cast water walking on them, possibly. The problem with these games now is that all of the areas have been visited and gone over and modded into time and again. A few people have drawn new maps, but those are always on land somewhere. Another temple or dungeon. The old "golden box" games at least let us imagine wonderful places, because so much there was text. Here it's land, ogres and some merchant in a corner selling upgraded swords. Irenicus running with Bhaal blah. Where is my brig to sail across and to an adventure?

You will wait a long time for this, several lives possibly. But until then can I suggest Sid Meier's immortal classic Pirates! Gold? 

49 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

can I suggest Sid Meier's immortal classic Pirates! Gold? 

That game is so damn good. Really nothing else like it.  I bought it for my iPad and had high hopes for high-seas adventures on the go, but the app stopped working and it seems the devs took my (our) money and have abandoned it. Such a shame...

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

That game is so damn good. Really nothing else like it.  I bought it for my iPad and had high hopes for high-seas adventures on the go, but the app stopped working and it seems the devs took my (our) money and have abandoned it. Such a shame...

Shame indeed. Nothing beats fame, plunder and senoritas of Spanish main. :)   

17 hours ago, Awachi said:

So instead of land, you'd want a map that's a ship, unless this is for aquatic races only?  I used to make maps for other games by just c&p whatever, but I think it's more difficult for IE

No. There is a ship in Shadows of Amn already. A strange ship and as huge as the Titanic on the inside, but anyway it's not that. I would like a watery area to move around in. Obviously there is the problem of locomotion, since there is no rowing or even moving about in any kind of vessel, but, as I said, water-walking could help. And there might be clickable boats on the islands, working as teleporters. This is all awkward imitation, of course, but where is a proper fantasy game set on the seas? The problem here is drawing a classy area. Then there would be others, like adding the water layer, and more things to imitate - a kraken attack using spell effects, for instance - but without an area it's a non-starter.

I think it would be doable using pattern from scfi RPGs (e.g. KOTOR or Mass Effect). You have ship area when you have some crew members you can talk with them etc. And you can go to navigation room and decide where to go for "mission" so you can switch area to land area when you have "back on ship" travel region. You could also have random encounters during travel (your ship is attacked) etc.

I was thinking once about spin-off TC mod using Planar Sphere like this. Ofc amount of work for this is overwhelming.

I guess most BG fans will have already played Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire? That does kinda fit the bill of what (I think) you're talking about. You sail around a vast archipelago, landing on various islands, and also encountering a variety of events at sea. It plays very similarly to BG in terms of quests, combat, companions and interactions, but you can also buy various different ships and upgrade them, fight pirates, etc.

21 hours ago, Quester said:

I guess most BG fans will have already played Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire? That does kinda fit the bill of what (I think) you're talking about. You sail around a vast archipelago, landing on various islands, and also encountering a variety of events at sea. It plays very similarly to BG in terms of quests, combat, companions and interactions, but you can also buy various different ships and upgrade them, fight pirates, etc.

I haven't played that one, in fact. Not that I'm looking for something that plays like BG anymore, necessarily. But if it's fantasy adventures on the seas and not just going through them for an occasional random event, KOTOR-style, then that might be the game for me. The characters can't swim, though, can they? That's probably the dividing line, whether it's possible to immerse in the water and meet and find what's there or it remains a blue outline for hard landlubbing. Anyway, thank you for the tip.