I used to know how to do this, I swear ("not a directory" error)

It's been years (and a computer ago) since I added a mod.  So I read the how to, read the read me, followed the instructions.  Supposed to extract to the game directory.  This is EE version.  Extract to BG2 folder, try to run exe, "not a directory".  Extract to infinity engine folder, try to run exe "not a directory".  How much more "Directory" can I get??

The setup-*.exe should be in the same folder as the baldur or bgmain.exe. The .tp2 file, which is what tells the setup-*.exe what to do, should either be in the same location as the setup-*.exe file (i.e. the game directory) or in a sub-folder that has the same name as the asterisk following the "setup-" portion of the .exe (e.g. "setup-bg2fixpack" would require that the associated .tp2 file either be in the same folder or in a subfolder called "bg2fixpack"). If the setup-*.exe is currently in a .rar, .7z, or .zip file, it will not work: the contents must be fully extracted to the game directory. It may be necessary to run the .exe as an administrator depending on where you installed it and your UAC settings (and it may be more convenient to simply move your game directory if you installed it to a location Windows protects via UAC e.g. Program Files).

Spoiler

Windows UAC protections on Windows 10 and possibly 11 may be completely disabled by adding a value 0 DWORD "EnableLUA" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System in your registry. This is not recommended if you are not a highly skilled Windows user, as it will always run everything as administrator without prompting, which carries certain risks to your Windows operating system. It will, however, make it so that you can more or less fully control your C drive and its protected files/folders, allowing you to e.g. have games installed to your Program Files folders without issue.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well thanks for replying.  Searching for baldur.exe or bgmain.exe produces no results.  the folders in the bg2 folder, not including the failed mod extraction, are:

0c0c6 

Final-Save

bpsave

characters

f2b00

portraits

sve

and a Baldur.lua text file

1 hour ago, Zavrian said:

Well thanks for replying.  Searching for baldur.exe or bgmain.exe produces no results.  the folders in the bg2 folder, not including the failed mod extraction, are:

0c0c6 

Final-Save

bpsave

characters

f2b00

portraits

sve

and a Baldur.lua text file

That sounds like the folder in Documents, which is not the correct one. You want the one where the game is installed to. If you're using the EE steam version itll be titled 'Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition' and will be in Program Files - Steam - steamapps - common.

Select the game in the Beamdog client, and select 'open game location' under the 'options' button.

The default is a folder named '00786' wherever you've set your Beamdog game path (in the client settings). 

beamdog_client.jpg

Edited by CamDawg