GemRB and BGT Issue

Fernside

Hi all, posted an issue up yesterday about an issue I’ve had with BGT/GemRB spawning an unexpected amount of monsters, I have since realised the reason for this is that my new games are beginning with 89,000+ XP. I have reproduced this issue on a clean install with BGT-Weidu, no other mods, so I’m guessing it must be an issue with GemRB? If anyone has the time to shed some light on it I would be very grateful.

Edit: Have managed to make a level 1 char on clean install with BGT, still spawning too many enemies on GemRB.

Edited by Fernside

We do have code to use different starting xp if bgt or tutu is detected (so you don't have to edit startxp.2da manually). But I'm not sure if you're saying you still have a problem or not.

https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/blob/master/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg2/GUICG2.py#L144-L152

For spawns xp doesn't matter, you'd have to level up the characters for it to have any effect.

2 hours ago, lynx said:

We do have code to use different starting xp if bgt or tutu is detected (so you don't have to edit startxp.2da manually). But I'm not sure if you're saying you still have a problem or not.

https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/blob/master/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg2/GUICG2.py#L144-L152

For spawns xp doesn't matter, you'd have to level up the characters for it to have any effect.

Im still getting the bug with lvl 1 characters, with BGT and GemRB as the  only mods.

Starting with v1.21, BGT spawns in BG1 areas are the same as in the original BG1:TotSC. Due to the differences between BG1 and BG2 engines, the spawn points had to be adjusted to match the original behavior. Basically, a spawn point difficulty of 1 in BG1 equals a spawn point difficulty of 100 in BG2. (This doesn't apply to rest spawns; both games use the same calculations there.) BGT multiplies the spawn point difficulty value in all BG1 areas by 100 with the assumption that the engine will use the BG2 spawn point calculations. The spawn point difficulty is then used in this formula:

No. spawns = (Spawn Difficulty * Avg. Party Lvl * Party Size) / Creature Power Lvl (rounded down)

(Many spawn points have an additional limit of maximum spawned creatures, so you don't always get the exact results.)

Which format does GemRB follow: spawn difficulty 1, 2, 3... (BG1) or spawn difficulty 100, 200, 300... (BG2)?

Edited by skellytz
2 hours ago, lynx said:

Depends on the game and people are supposed to use the bg2 mode of gemrb (probably what is autodetected as well).

Did the main menu for bgt change? Do you still start bg1 how you would usually start soa?

Getting BGT main menu when loading BG2 on GemRB (as expected). New game button starts a new BGT game in Candlekeep as expected, with the only problems being large number of spawned monsters.

41 minutes ago, lynx said:

So the xp is fine? Cool.

Yeah XP is fine. I’m not sure what was causing it but I have a fresh install of BG1&2 with BGT-WeiDU running, with no XP issues, but still spawning extra enemies. If there’s any more info I can give you, let me know. I’ve sent the issues through to Kloptops as well in case it’s an issue with the specific port as you suggested.

Edited by Fernside

From what I noticed on the Portmaster repo,. the updates are very ad-hoc and doesn't always sync up with the upstream. You might want to update your ticket opened in https://github.com/kloptops/Portmaster-misc into an explicit GemRB update request, because I'm not sure that kloptops is that familiar with the inner workings of the games themselves.