WeiDU Install Tool: Call for beta testing, translations and proofreading!

WeiDU Install Tool

Project: https://github.com/InfinityTools/WeiduInstallTool

Readme: https://github.com/InfinityTools/WeiduInstallTool/wiki

Download: https://github.com/InfinityTools/WeiduInstallTool/releases

wit-main-and-details.png

Overview

WeiDU Install Tool (WIT) is a graphical front end for the WeiDU command line tool to install modifications for Infinity Engine games, such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape Torment.

The tool offers all functionality of the WeiDU command line tool as well as many usability improvements and convenience features to help with the mod installation task. It is meant as a replacement or alternative to the setup executables that are included in most mod archives, but it can also be used for more general WeiDU operations. It is not intended to be a full-fledged mod manager like Project Infinity.

The tool is currently available as a pre-release version for Windows (installer), Linux (RPM and DEB packages) and macOS (PKG archive).

Application features:

• Tp2 Mod File association (except for macOS): Double-clicking on tp2 files in the file manager starts the mod installation.
  • Drag & drop support: drag mod files or folders onto the application to start mod installations.
  • Application text and messages are available in the user's native language (if available, see below).
  • Toggle between light and dark user interface.
  • Display additional information about mod components and general mod information.
  • Quick input buttons allow you to install mods without having to use the keyboard. (Keyboard input is still available, though ;) )
  • and many more...

Testers wanted!

The mod has already been lightly tested and considered stable for many use cases. However, players have different ways how to install mods or may have different expectations what a mod installation tool should provide. I'm looking forward to any kind of feedback, suggestions, bug reports or feature requests.

Translators wanted!

The application is able to display UI text and messages in the language set up by the user's operating system.

Currently available languages are:

• English
  • French (by JohnBob)
  • German
  • Brazilian Portuguese (by Felipe)

More languages are always welcome, however. Translation is handled similarly to how mods provide multiple languages. Please let me know if you're interested in this topic or via private message.

Proofreaders wanted!

I am also looking for proofreaders for the English lines of text (translation file).

Edited by argent77
new release

I made a new copy of BG2EE, copied iwdification, then opened the TP2 with WIT. It could not parse the components. The log outputs this:

2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.process.ProcessUtils.getProcessOutput()
DEBUG: Working dir: /home/alex/local/GOG/2.6/bg2ee/game
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.process.ProcessUtils.getProcessOutput()
DEBUG: Command: [/home/alex/local/bin/weidu, --nogame, --list-components-json, /home/alex/local/GOG/2.6/bg2ee/game/iwdification/setup-iwdification.tp2, 0]
DEBUG: Timeout: 30 ms
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.weidu.Weidu.getModComponentInfo()
DEBUG: Parsing mod component JSON data (buffer=175 bytes)
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.weidu.Weidu.getModComponentInfo()
DEBUG: Successfully decoding mod component info (charset=UTF-8)
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.mod.ModInfo.getComponentInfo()
DEBUG: Could not retrieve component info: java.lang.Exception: Could not retrieve mod component information
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.mod.ModInfo.ensureComponentExists(ModInfo.java:352)
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.mod.ModInfo.getComponentInfo(ModInfo.java:215)
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.checkModOrder(MainWindow.java:1949)
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.execute(MainWindow.java:2015)
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.setupUI(MainWindow.java:1408)
        at io.infinitytools.wit@0.10.1/io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.start(MainWindow.java:521)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:839)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$12(PlatformImpl.java:483)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:456)
        at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:400)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:455)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
        at javafx.graphics@21/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$runLoop$10(GtkApplication.java:263)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1583)
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [JavaFX Application Thread] io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.getWeiduCommand()
DEBUG: Guided mode, WeiDU command: [/home/alex/local/bin/weidu, iwdification/setup-iwdification.tp2, --no-exit-pause, --game, /home/alex/local/GOG/2.6/bg2ee/game, --log, /home/alex/local/GOG/2.6/bg2ee/game/setup-iwdification.debug]
2023-10-20 21:51:37 [] io.infinitytools.wit.gui.MainWindow.onProcessStateChanged()
DEBUG: Process StateChanged event: Started

Tested on Linux, on a ciopfs file system. Let me know if I need to provide extra info.

Congrats for the release!

PS: Seems that, at least right now, is single mod focused. Is that an ultimate goal, or more mods at once is planned? I was just today testing Zeitgeist, and while it would require a good facelift to be comfortably usable, it seems to be able to detect N mods, pick up components from them, then install them, or detect what is installed and roll it back. I don't know if it requires tweaks to work on Mac or Windows, though, I only tested on Linux.

3 minutes ago, suy said:

Tested on Linux, on a ciopfs file system. Let me know if I need to provide extra info.

On Linux I have only tested on casefolded ext4 partitions. I'll try to reproduce this issue.

4 minutes ago, suy said:

PS: Seems that, at least right now, is single mod focused. Is that an ultimate goal, or more mods at once is planned?

It was an intentional decision to not make it a full-fledged mod manager. We already have Project Infinity for that. I will add more features later, however, which also include more options for unattended installations.

Congratulations on the release of WeiDU Install Tool🥳.

Here are some points I stumbled upon while downloading it from GitHub.

Maybe it would be helpful to mention this and explain how to deal with it so that the casual user isn't too afraid of getting all the warnings I got.

1. My browser blocked the file WeiduInstallTool-0.10.1-portable-windows.zip because it categorized it as an unusual file
  2.  My antivirus scanned and deleted jrunscript.exe

I don't know how helpful this following suggestion is, but the first place I wanted to report this was the GitHub discussion section (uploading screenshots is easier there in terms of size and not as limited as it is here). Unfortunately it's not enabled, but it only affects me so maybe it's not important.

I wish you much success🤞!

4 minutes ago, Incrementis said:

Maybe it would be helpful to mention this and explain how to deal with it so that the casual user isn't too afraid of getting all the warnings I got.

1. My browser blocked the file WeiduInstallTool-0.10.1-portable-windows.zip because it categorized it as an unusual file
  2.  My antivirus scanned and deleted jrunscript.exe

That's surprising since I was using a popular package creation tool for it which should have been whitelisted by antivirus tools already. I'll see what I can do.

8 minutes ago, Incrementis said:

I don't know how helpful this following suggestion is, but the first place I wanted to report this was the GitHub discussion section (uploading screenshots is easier there in terms of size and not as limited as it is here). Unfortunately it's not enabled, but it only affects me so maybe it's not important.

I haven't opened a separate Discussions section on GitHub yet because there are already topics on Beamdog Forums and a forum section here on G3. The "Issues" section on GitHub is available, however.

A new release candidate is available: WeiDU Install Tool v0.10.2

Download link in first post has been updated.

Changelog:

• Added Brazilian Portuguese translation (by Felipe).
  • Added warning dialog if a mod is installed from a path outside of the game directory.
  • Reduced likelihood of connection failure for the WeiDU binary download operation.
  • Improved Ini parser to properly handle malformed Project Infinity metadata:
    •   Correctly handle multiline mod descriptions
    •   Fix erroneously detected comment prefixes inside BEFORE/AFTER definitions

Suggestions for improvement:

1 - Is there a way to see the GUI without opening any files? I'd like to see how my translation looks in the tool's GUI.

2 - Why when the tool is searching for a file it starts the search on C:\Users folder? No one stores mods there, it would much and i mean MUCH better if it started a C:\.

8 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Suggestions for improvement:

1 - Is there a way to see the GUI without opening any files? I'd like to see how my translation looks in the tool's GUI.

2 - Why when the tool is searching for a file it starts the search on C:\Users folder? No one stores mods there, it would much and i mean MUCH better if it started a C:\.

1) You could open WIT directly from the start menu or desktop icon and cancel the "open tp2" file dialog. That will only show the WeiDU help in the output text area. The WeiDU binary is needed in any case, however.

2) The user folder is a good location because the app can be reasonably sure that it's available and accessible by the user. WIT is a multi platform tool, so I had to choose a starting location that is available on any platform. Once a mod is executed that folder will be stored as the "last mod path" in the configuration and used as starting location by the next call of WIT. Don't forget that you can also drop mod files or folders from the file manager onto the app to start mod installations.

2 hours ago, argent77 said:

1) You could open WIT directly from the start menu or desktop icon and cancel the "open tp2" file dialog. That will only show the WeiDU help in the output text area. The WeiDU binary is needed in any case, however.

Heh, it seems i didnt test enough.... ☺️

2 hours ago, argent77 said:

2) The user folder is a good location because the app can be reasonably sure that it's available and accessible by the user. WIT is a multi platform tool, so I had to choose a starting location that is available on any platform. Once a mod is executed that folder will be stored as the "last mod path" in the configuration and used as starting location by the next call of WIT. Don't forget that you can also drop mod files or folders from the file manager onto the app to start mod installations.

I see, i didnt know there was a similar location on unix. Thanks for the info.