SCS V35 Errors - MAC

Guest Reeca

@DavidW

Hi David

I play on OSX and below were the errors I encountered with V35.

ERROR Installing [Improved NPC customization and management], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 105 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4100.

Uninstalled    105 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4100.

ERROR: Failure("Str.replace: illegal backslash sequence")

Please make a backup of the file: logs/stratagems.debug and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.

Using Language [English]

ERROR Installing [Revised resting: resting in the wild uses up provisions], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall  26 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4135.

Uninstalled     26 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4135.

Please make a backup of the file: logs/stratagems.debug and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.

Using Language [English]

ERROR Installing [Revised inn rooms: more expensive, more benefits], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall  44 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4140.

Uninstalled     44 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 4140.

Using Language [English

ERROR Installing [Ease-of-use party AI], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall  19 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 5000.

Uninstalled     19 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 5000.

Using Language [English]

ERROR Installing [Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 321 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 5900.

Uninstalled    321 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 5900.

Using Language [English]

There's a classic discrepancy between how windows and other platforms treat path separators when expressed as strings.  Windows requires `\\` whereas *nix (including Darwin -- OSX) want `/` separators.  First place I'd check.

21 hours ago, Guest Jesse said:

There's a classic discrepancy between how windows and other platforms treat path separators when expressed as strings.  Windows requires `\\` whereas *nix (including Darwin -- OSX) want `/` separators.  First place I'd check.

Is this still an issue? I thought Weidu handles this now. I just use forward-slashes in all my mods and they install perfectly well on Windows…

WeiDU handles it automatically in one direction; forward slashes are the expected standard and work regardless of platform. But I'm not sure about the other direction.

If it is that problem, some backslashed paths slipping in with the big update and working on Windows systems, I'm not sure how to search for it properly.

Android is another Unix-based system (modified Linux, more specifically). So, the hypothesis is plausible - one or more Windows-style backslashed path references in there, breaking on other operating systems.

Hmm. Just searching the code files for backslashes does seem to work pretty well - there aren't that many of them in normal code. Here's one example of a Windows-style path I found:

INCLUDE FILE (%MOD_FOLDER%\lib\ssl\shared_definitions.ssl)

(Line 1 of eyesek01.ssl in the Abazigal's lair component)

Except ... that isn't a v35 change. And I don't remember any errors when I installed this (on Mac) back then. Maybe the paths do get converted both directions, and this is something a bit more complicated?

Probably this part

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION ~compile_ssl_to_bcs_core~ INT_VAR skip_bcs=0 STR_VAR script="" variables="" booleans="" location="" locbase="" locabs="" rename_to="" inline="" BEGIN
 ACTION_IF !FILE_EXISTS "%workspace%/autolib.slb" BEGIN
     COPY ~.../stratagems-inline/blank~ ~%workspace%\autolib.slb~
 END

It appears there is a bunch of these in the code, I don't know if all of them are used or are a problem (for example, if they are in a if WEIDU_OS they should be ok)

%workspace%\
Edited by mickabouille

I can look it at some point in the next few days, probably. A bit weird that v33 and v34 work fine, though. I’m a bit suspicious that the backslash thing might be a red herring. 

EDIT - yes, lib_general.tpa looks exactly the same in v33 (“COPY ~.../stratagems-inline/blank~ ~%workspace%\autolib.slb~”), and it has no problem in MacOS.

I wonder if that user just has more general permissions issues or something. That “illegal backslash sequence” error seems pretty specific, but it’s not an error I’ve seen before so I don’t know what it actually means. 

I'm also experiencing these errors on Linux.  It looks like perl chokes on backslashes instead of forward slashes in .ssl files.  I'm attempting to get it working on my install, will let you know if I succeed.

As a side note: *please* be nice to us Linux users and lower case all file names!

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

I can look it at some point in the next few days, probably. A bit weird that v33 and v34 work fine, though. I’m a bit suspicious that the backslash thing might be a red herring. 

EDIT - yes, lib_general.tpa looks exactly the same in v33 (“COPY ~.../stratagems-inline/blank~ ~%workspace%\autolib.slb~”), and it has no problem in MacOS.

I wonder if that user just has more general permissions issues or something. That “illegal backslash sequence” error seems pretty specific, but it’s not an error I’ve seen before so I don’t know what it actually means. 

I don't think it's a permissions issue as I have previous versions of SCS installed with no errors.