Really HATE this mod. Possible to remove it in the middle of the game?

Is it possible to remove SCS in Chapter 3?  Is it gonna break the game?

I am really hating this mod.  It just dishonestly and sneakily installed too many undocumented and unwanted components that have nothing to do with improving the enemy AI, and those components just completely mess up the game balance and pacing.

Edited by ktchong

Would you publish your weidu.log? I'm really curious about what you've installed.

Also, it would be cool to know what are the things you think are added but are unwarranted. I read you made a topic about the winter wolf pelt and spell drop rates. Anything else?

Guest some dude

Yeah it's probably gonna break the game. I don't think you can uninstall mod this big in mid-game, although I have never tried.

As someone who thinks the game is greatly enhanced by this particular mod, but as someone who is waiting for fixes for bugs before I continue playing... Can you tell me which components messed up the game balance and pacing? Just so I can possibly avoid them.

I have learned myself that one should stay away from "Wider selection of random scrolls"... and not to install anything which does not enhance MY particular gameplan(this goes with every mod) or things like "Thieves assign skill points in multiples of five" or "Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla" which don't really add anything else but potential bugs(I'm not gonna install "Revised handling of death effects like disintegration, petrification and imprisonment" either since I like keeping my party alive).

1 hour ago, ktchong said:

It just dishonestly and sneakily installed too many undocumented and unwanted components that have nothing to do with improving the enemy AI, (...)

I challenge you to explain what was installed sneakily and without documentation.

SCS is very thoroughly documented. It requires time to read its docs, but the docs are there, and are very through and fair.

It very much doesn't install things that you did not ask to install.

It's totally fair if you hate the changes or if there was some misunderstanding in what the mod does, because it's complex. But don't say what you said without proof.

Guest Delior on Phone

The Winter Wolf Pelts change is indeed undocumented and I agree with Jmerry’s post on the relevant thread that it should be removed or segregated into an optional component. 

Other than that, I am not aware of any change that is not described in the readme. The mod does indeed make a number of spell and balancing tweaks if you install the required baseline AI component. Those changes are documented, and very much relate to improving the AI. The AI requires a common set of rules and assumptions that is shared with the player in order to function properly. 

4 hours ago, Morgoth said:

Would you publish your weidu.log? I'm really curious about what you've installed.

Also, it would be cool to know what are the things you think are added but are unwarranted. I read you made a topic about the winter wolf pelt and spell drop rates. Anything else?

I've already started the process to uninstall and reinstall BGEE and mods.  I've reinstalled mods up to the Tweak Anthlogy.  My current WeiDU.log is attached below.

SCS was the mod that I previously installed after the Tweak Anthology.  I plan to NOT reinstall SCS this time.  The SCS components that I previously installed are listed in the attached "SCS-log.txt", (i.e., grabbed and edited from my Windows batch file that install the mod components.)

Now I just find out if I can just skip SCS or at least some of its troublesome components, (especially the random scroll component and whatever component that's related to the winter wolf pelts.)  

I installed some more mods after SCS.  Those mods and their components are listed in "post-SCS-mods-log.txt",  (i.e., grabbed and edited from my batch files that install those mods.)   I intend to reinstall them after skipping SCS  or some of the SCS components.  

WeiDU.log SCS-log.txt post-SCS-mods-log.txt

Edited by ktchong
3 hours ago, Guest some dude said:

Can you tell me which components messed up the game balance and pacing? Just so I can possibly avoid them.

3 hours ago, suy said:

I challenge you to explain what was installed sneakily and without documentation.

3 hours ago, Connelly said:

Gotta say, it's quite the bold tactic to come to the author's forum to demand help while throwing words like "dishonestly", "sneakily" and "undocumented" without stating the what or bringing the receipts.

Fair. I did not know about the change of winter wolf pelts since I never cared much. About the scrolls, I think you are misinterpreting. If you are missing out scrolls due to a bug or mod interaction, I recommend that you use the console.

5 hours ago, Trouveur80 said:

Indeed, I'm too used to read all the docs before launching the setup. 😅

I've been playing for 20 years, and I've never seen readme-scs.html. I always opened only readme-stratagems. It's the first time I read about two different readmes for one mod 😛

55 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

I've been playing for 20 years, and I've never seen readme-scs.html. I always opened only readme-stratagems. It's the first time I read about two different readmes for one mod 😛

It's probably a legacy of the time when there was a BGEE SCS and a BG2EE SCS separate mods.

Look, it’s a passion project. Some stuff sneaks in sometimes. 

But, wolf pelt sales and scroll drops are such a tiny part of a hundred+ hour game… and the other parts of SCS are (mostly) so good… I can’t even imagine taking the effort to rage-uninstall it over those things.