Aklon Anomen Banter

Guest PixieDust

Kind of an old subject to bring up again, but just once I'd love to see a guy who actually has enough faith in CHARNAME to make up her own mind.

I nearly dropped Tsujatha just for forcing me to make a decision when I wasn't ready or in the mood to do so. Kelcey, even just for his sound files, never mind his dialogue, seemed far younger than Anomen - I didn't even think it was his place to make any sort of challenge. Edwin, well, Edwin is Edwin. Xan, on the other hand, might be the only one to actually have reason for such insecurities, but he doesn't even notice :)

Just once I'd like to see a man who's confident enough to simply ignore or refuse Anomen's challenge (or any other potential rival) because by then he has a pretty good idea of how she feels about him. He'd know that they'll have a meeting of the mind and various body parts soon enough without forcing the issue. My kind of Bhaalspawn would base her decisions on whom she likes better, not who's better at fisticuffs. And my kind of NPC romance would be someone who doesn't need to purchase her affection by humiliating his rival.

I realize that something needs to trigger the romance state from 1 to 2 or vice versa, but it would seem to me that this should be up to the PC, not because someone gets his testosterone in a bunch.

I'm not fond of the endless bickering. Much of it is fun and well-written but it wears a little thin after a while (except when in-character, like Edwin or Viconia). It would seem to me that it would be to the Baalspawn's credit as a leader to be able to bring her company together and create an effective fighting unit, for want of a better term.

Seems weird to have Sarevok lay his life on the line to protect Jan in battle and then threaten to skewer him a moment later for talking too much. You'd think that, after all these people have gone through, they'd be able to overcome their differences and become friends. I tend to imagine this happening at the end, in a role play sort of way, but this is only possible because the game runs out of mean little banters by then.

When people whose natures don't agree get together, there will always be conflict, and even the best leaders can have trouble keeping it under control. That said, Aklon tries to minimise such incidents, precisely because he is worried about group cohesion (of course, he won't always succeed, either because of the NPC or his own feelings).

The conflict between Anomen and Aklon will occur to a certain level regardless of whether or not either of them is romancing the PC, mostly because the two of them are not natural friends. There will be a certain respect for one another in there though, so it won't all be negative.

As for the romance specific stuff, there will be a certain challenge element to things, because, well, Anomen is involved in this too, but Aklon does leave the final decision entirely to player. While I think not all elements of this will be exactly as you would prefer, I hope that you'll find Aklon quite close to the mark.

Well said, and I am still eagerly awaiting Aklon! Some challenge is only realistic, but I have no doubt that it will be handled appropriately. Besides, that is only 1 small part of the entire romance and story, so to me it is no big deal either way.

I'll be here to pounce on Aklon the moment he is released. : )

I'll try to make sure you can pounce sooner, rather than later.

Oooh, 2007? ;)

Xan, on the other hand, might be the only one to actually have reason for such insecurities, but he doesn't even notice.

Ah. Thought I'd answer that. I think he is aware, but he thinks it is not his place to interfere. There are banters with Anomen and Kivan(and a Kelsey one on my hard drive) which show they are aware of what is going on, but basically, it all goes down to his "Is there someone else" banter. Insecure he might be, but I don't think he'll say "CHARNAME, you and Anomen... why don't you, y'know, choose?" - rather, quietly withdraw. (Besides, they are all doomed, and Anomen will die in fifty years or so, anyway.)

I think he is aware, but he thinks it is not his place to interfere.

Good point, Kulyok - Among the NPC romances I've played, Xan's way of dealing with this is probably the most true to character and, in his oddly contrary way, pretty much answers my demand to let the PC decide who she likes best, in her own time. ;)

Guest no one special
(Besides, they are all doomed, and Anomen will die in fifty years or so, anyway.)

Why did this make me laugh so hard? I swear, Anomen doesn't bother me (Well, not until he's had a few hissy fits) and I'm GLAD that Aklon has an oppurtunity to be friends with him. Good luck on this mod BigRob! I'll be watching... ;)

Lol I was away for a while, but I'm still waiting here! *whimper*

-

As for Anomen 'n' Others...

I'm not overally fond of Ano, maybe because I dislike knights/paladins/can-men. But putting that dislike aside I can say he's not that bad a character - although its so delightfully easy to make him into a jerk - I myself have written a lot of fanfics (sometimes even with my friends) that 'mooped the floor with him'

Also that's the reason I admire Xan-mod. Nearly no jelousy whatsoever. I think there's one banter 'touching' that subject (well two if you count the one which plays after Spellhold in non-bond-but-still-romance-path)

subtle too.

and lol @

(Besides, they are all doomed, and Anomen will die in fifty years or so, anyway.)

hey if it's mediaevals, he'll die in 20 years. From a very painful disease called 'sharp allergy to a very sharp sword in stomach'.

Wow knights have it rough.

*cough back to topic cough*

I romanced Ano once in my entire game-playing. I remember being simply bored, and the Flirt pack didn't do the trick.

Yeah I'm a knight-hater, sue me! spank me! err.... I mean yeah. *cough*

But when it comes to mods and BG itself, doing that (moopin I mean. gosh I went faaar away from topic. does anyone follow this?) wouldn't be 'cool'. It's one of the reasons why I strangely dislike Kelsey. No clue if it is that. Might be that he's just too young. >_>; Then again Ano is as well. I think Tsujatha mod makes a comment on that - which I strongly agree with.

Where was I...

ah yes

longish as it were, my point is.....

it's good to hear you're not basing the 'conflict' on only dislike-hate-whatever, but on other, deeper aspects. This only

MAKES THE WAIT MORE IRRITATING O_O I wanna play nao T_T

<snippers>

Also that's the reason I admire Xan-mod. Nearly no jelousy whatsoever. I think there's one banter 'touching' that subject (well two if you count the one which plays after Spellhold in non-bond-but-still-romance-path)

subtle too.

I utterly agree!! Just look at that interaction after the "Bodhi encounter" in the bonded path:

Anomen – My lady, may I... ?

PC – Yes, Anomen? You cannot return Xan to life, can you?

Anomen – I am truly sorry about your misfortune. Helm knows, I wish things could have turned out differently. I know how close you were, and... (sigh) I am sorry.

PC – Thank you, Anomen.

Anomen – I am ready to serve, my lady. Alas, I can do very little to soothe your heart.

PC – Just remain my friend, Anomen, and I will be content.

Anomen – I wish I could offer more than this meagre help. It pains me to see you suffer so. But I shall serve you in battle faithfully... and hope that your grief will lessen with time.

Makes me want to weep!!! ;):D

I romanced Ano once in my entire game-playing. I remember being simply bored, and the Flirt pack didn't do the trick.

Yeah I'm a knight-hater, sue me! spank me! err.... I mean yeah. *cough*

Yeah, I think I'll do that! Sue you for hating Anomen!! :D

it's good to hear you're not basing the 'conflict' on only dislike-hate-whatever, but on other, deeper aspects. This only

MAKES THE WAIT MORE IRRITATING O_O I wanna play nao T_T

Amen to that!!! So, um, BigRob... Are we there yet? ;)

Guess I really have to learn how to be patient. I think I check the forum for progress way more often than is good for me... ;)

What did Riveria say the other day?... "Good things come to those who wait."?

So I guess I'll wait for Aklon to come to us! ;)

Patience is a virtue but I don't need to go to Heaven right away.

haha yeah true, that interaction after Bodhi 'incident' (well it's more a tragedy than incident) made me quite like Ano for being a nice chap and not going about "omg he's outta the way". But I doubt he would - it's not like him.

Ah yes. All sorts of good things come to those that are patient!

the longer we wait the more probable the following scenario is:

*Aklon, already fresh and finished enters BG*

*gets swarmed by fan girls and dies under the massive amount of female bodies*

kidding aside, no need to rush it - it's always better if everything is set and ready in 100% after all, right?

or at least that's what my mind tells me... >_>;

I think the key to Anomen's character is his insecurity. I know a few real-life people who are not unlike Anomen in their own way - arrogant and seemingly concieted. The interesting thing is that once you get to know them you find that the more pompous and sure of himself a person seems, the more insecure he is underneath it all. Its an attempt to over-compensate for your own feeling of failure. Anomen, being the son of a raging abusive alcoholic, would have taken quite a beating to his self-esteem as a child. Having escaped that situation and found self worth in the Radiant Heart, he continually seeks to reaffirm his feeling of self worth by acting worthy and noble, taking it too far sometimes.

Thats just my two cents. Personally, I prefer a character who is flawed in a few ways. Kelsey didn't really do it for me for precisely that reason, and Solaufein I found boring. I did enjoy the Anomen, but my favorite was probably the Edwin Romance, just for the humor of it all.

Archived