Welcome and Hello!

FredSRichardson

I wish you luck, although I do believe this project should be much easier than IWG2. For the most part in fact, you could say IWG2 is already as complete as it could have ever have been - the only problems are the party joining and a bunch of presentation issues that could have been smoothed over eventually, if it weren't for the party joining wrecking the whole idea.

If you need another beta tester, I'd be more than happy to :)

Yes, the conversion from BG2 to IWD2 was much more ambitious than this project is and consequently faced many technical problem this project doesn't face. There's no inter-party banter or joinable NCP's to deal with.

And so I'm focusing mostly on the details that IWG2 would have eventually focused on if the project had continued. Proper creature conversion is at the top of the list.

Another beta test is always welcome, please log in so I can send you a PM when things are ready to roll :)

-Fred

Always good news.

Any chance you'll throw caution to the wind and decide to release the NI tool source?

Oh boy, it's been too long and I apologize! Yes, I haven't hear anything from Jon Hauglid so I think it's safe to release the tools.

Only problem now is I need to move my work around to this other computer and pick it up again. Not a big deal, I'll try to get back into it again.

-Fred

Always good news.

Any chance you'll throw caution to the wind and decide to release the NI tool source?

Okay, I have the NIDigGen utility up here:

http://www.ann-fred.org/NIDigGen/NIDigGen.jar

The usage is pretty straight forward:

java -jar NIDigGen.jar 
Usage: NIDigGen [-e -f -u -a -l TYP] <chitin-key> <out-dir> <res-name> ...
   -e      Export the resource(s) to <out-dir>
   -f      Load the resource(s) from the specified file(s)
   -u      Include unknown fields in text output
   -a      Include hex offsets in text output
   -l TYP  List all resouces of type TYP and exit

Not all modes work together. "-e" is used when you want to extract the binary resources into some directory (it's like a baf unpacker that uses the override first). "-f" lets you specify the resource as a file, otherwise the resource is taken from the game's baf/override. "-l" just lists all the resouces of some type (e.g. use this to list all ARE's or CRE's in a game). The default mode will save a text file for each specified resource into director "<out-dir>". By default, "unknown" fields are NOT included, so use the "-u" switch if you want to see these (good for finding unknown fields). "-a" includes hex offsets which can be quite useful. This may just toggle between absolute and relative offsets or include both (I've forgotten). The idea is that you might want to compare to text resources and the absolute offsets make this difficult.

Very nice, thanks.

-a looks to also use relative offsets, but lists the absolute offset of each structure.

EDIT: e.g.,

AutomapNote 0xb950 {
     [000] 0x000  2 DecNumber       X-coord              = 1983
     [001] 0x002  2 DecNumber       Y-coord              = 306
     [002] 0x004  4 StringRef       Text                 = Locked Portal
     [003] 0x008  2 Unknown         Unknown              = 01 00 h
     [004] 0x00a  2 Bitmap          Worldmap mark color  = Gray (0)
     [005] 0x00c  4 Unknown         Unknown              = 00 00 00 00 h
     [006] 0x010 36 Unknown         Unknown              = 00 00 00 00 ... h
   };

hey best of luck!  this looks like a great project and i look forward to playing.

Hey there, thanks for the interest!

I'm dusting off the code again, but something suddenly isn't working. Specifically, the dialog triggers aren't getting parsed.

Now if I can only figure out how to run the Ocaml debug version of WeiDU (I'm not sure if this works, but the linux compile targets should be close for native cygwin).

Well, clearly I bunged the code somewhere along the line. But hopefully some progress on this stuff soon :)

-Fred

Now if I can only figure out how to run the Ocaml debug version of WeiDU (I'm not sure if this works, but the linux compile targets should be close for native cygwin).

If you're using the set of Makefiles distributed with WeiDU, you must undefine NATIVECAML in the Makefile (= comment out the relevant line, not set to 0) and run make clean; make. After that, run the program (which is compiled to bytecode instead of native) with ocamldebug rather than ocamlrun (ocamldebug nameofyourfile). See the OCaml docs for further details :)

Archived