Welcome and Hello!

FredSRichardson

Hello Fred!

I can't unfortunately be of any help, being no modder, but I find your project very interesting (I followed your progress also at CoM's Auril's Bane Forum) and just wanted to tell you good luck with it and thanks for starting it! :D

Welcome Salk, Tameon and Domi!

If any of you are interested in some light beta testing, let me know. :D

Thats a bit of a ways off, but what I might do is release "low expectation" demos of specific areas. Having you all try things out and take notes of what doesn't work is a very good way for me to keep a task list alive.

Thank you for you interest! :D

-Fred

Yes, absolutely. On both accounts. I loved the IWD series for their setting and their story, but it could use some NPC overhaul which Domi is threatening to do somwhere down the road (fingers crossed for IWDNPCs). Now with your conversion I am even more looking forward to playing these gems again.

@Tameon: I bet it is quite a while till we see the first working beta, so I would go ahead and spoil myself just to get a taste of the differences.

... I deffinately think it will be worth waiting until this is done before I play it!

Oh, wait, I missed this part and Jesters definitely right. I would highly recommend playing through with out any mods the first time. But make sure you install patches and bug fixes.

For IWD1/HOW you might want to install "Tales of the Luremaster" (it's an expansion mod with bug fixes)

For IWD2 there's a version 2.01 patch.

I think you're in for a real treat with these games :D

Yes, absolutely. On both accounts. I loved the IWD series for their setting and their story, but it could use some NPC overhaul which Domi is threatening to do somwhere down the road (fingers crossed for IWDNPCs). Now with your conversion I am even more looking forward to playing these gems again.

IWDNPC's sound like a great idea!

It's hard for me not to get excited about tangents as I work on this stuff, so I have to keep myself focused. But I was wondering if inter-party dialog is possible at all in IWD2. It could be interesting to have dialogues that kick in based on race/class/alignment of party members :D

It should be, because Weimer did recreate in IWG for BG. The game plan is to introduce a premade party (the way IWD1/IWD2 already do) and have banter et al assigned to the characters. If possible, the first character could be replaced by the "Charname", the Player1. :D I have not done anything but writing being busy with BG2, but I am anxiously awaiting any and all information you could provide on the bantering/dialogue structure and adding a pre-made party.

Okay Domi, I'll certainly let you know what I find out.

A lot of what's in IWG2 isn't neccesary for this conversion project because IWD1 doesn't have any banter. From what I can see, Wes handled banter using cut scenes, and I think he had to hack in code to every BCS script to handle this correctly.

I actually wanted to take all this extra code to make debugging easier (I want to start with the simplest conversion and go from there).

I'll try to keep some notes. It looks like Wes used cut scenes at one point to simulate banter, but then commented that out. The last version looks like it mapped "Interact" to "StartDialogueNoSet". I can't remember how well inter-party banter worked in IWG2. I see a lot of debugging stuff in the code.

But it may be that these things I'm seeing are left over from when he tried using cut scenes:

He pastes to the front of every BCS file:

IF

InCutsceneMode()

THEN

RESPONSE #100

END

After every CutSceneId() call, he'd add a call to StartCutSceneMode()

He also made sure that any SetGlobal() calls happen before a call to StartCutSceneMode().

Can I help? Maybe I'm not modding master, but I can made some works :D I love IWD! And IWD 2 system :D

Hi Yarpen and welcome!

It's a bit early on yet, I'm still trying to get my bearing (the iwg2 code is a bit of a hairy monster in some places), but I'll defintely let you know I as soon as I'm close to having something worth looking at.

Thanks for you interest!

-Fred

I'll try to keep some notes. It looks like Wes used cut scenes at one point to simulate banter, but then commented that out. The last version looks like it mapped "Interact" to "StartDialogueNoSet". I can't remember how well inter-party banter worked in IWG2. I see a lot of debugging stuff in the code.

Interesting. Basically, part of me hoped that it would recognize INTERDIA and PDIALOGUE, but from what you are saying the timered scripts, perhaps with some randomization + StartDialogueNoSet() and the character native DLG might do the trick :D

Much appreciate your insights!

Archived