Mod release etiquette

icelus

If your mod has a forum, and you're finally releasing that mod, it's always, y'know, SMART and LOGICAL to start some kind of "DOWNLOAD HERE, KK" thread. Takes two seconds. And it has o-so-many happy returns.

Oh, and if you're part of a modding community, it might be a swell idea to try and coordinate things with whoever is in charge of the community's homepage to, like, mention the release.

If these conditions can't be met, perhaps you should hold off just a few more days until some semblance of order can be achieved.

So, in summary...

1) Upload mod

2) Create "download link" thread

3) Make your announcements

4) Update the community's homepage

(Please note that #2-4 should all be done within a very short timespan)

If your mod has a forum, and you're finally releasing that mod, it's always, y'know, SMART and LOGICAL to start some kind of "DOWNLOAD HERE, KK" thread. Takes two seconds. And it has o-so-many happy returns.

I am not sure that I understand what for. BG1 NPC and most other G3 mods have a homepage/download link on the forum itself.

Aaaah...

Sorry, I don't follow all threads, so I didn't catch it. But, yeah, then I fully agree.

However... too many pinned threads in-forum, like "overview" "faq" "announcements" "progress", and, in addition, "download location" - it is evil. I think.

Maybe both. That could explain why he felt the need to issue a suggestion about how one should handle a mod's release.

EDIT: Does anyone else feel kinda stupid about holding a discussion about what Icelus may or may not be trying to accomplish with this thread when, last I checked, Icelus was a grown man capable of speaking for himself? Or am I the only one?

Obviously, pillow fight threads are more important. Clearly you can see that.*

*this post dedicated to CamDawg and Idobek

Never expect word-of-mouth to spread the news of you mod. If you're going to bother making a mod, take the time to do the extra legwork and announce it at various places.

In summary, don't just half-assed release a mod. If you don't have the time to do it properly, then wait until you do. Otherwise it makes you seem lazy and inept, and is that what you want to be related to your mod?

Archived