More interesting Male PC romantic option

Domi

More interesting (description below)  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess as a "goody-goody" male PC player, I tend towards the monk - more "real" a partnership in my book.

I am not sure a dismissive, condescending, manipulative, wounding lady would be much fun, unless she fell for my character very (and rather graphically) hard... unless you are playing CE, CN, or LE, there is really no positive to "dating" such a character. I mean, in those alignments, it might be ok if she had tons of cash, was the boss' daughter, arranged marriage, etc - I think probably the payoff in the fantasy setting would have to be pretty darn high to take the abuse.

I think a character like that would be worth having in your party if the PC had the opportunity to give as good as he got, and their overall relationship is built of physical attraction plus a mutual love of abusing other people, and thus having the perfect sparring partner in the bard.

Of course, just having her around and tolerating her for whatever reason could be a good roleplaying experience for some characters (how many great villains have a beautiful if thoroughly evil and unfaithful woman by their side?), just that most of my evil characters wouldn't tolerate that kind of thing. :rolleyes:

That is sort of what I ended up thinking after finishing her er... "friendship" sequence. That she is great as a character, very entertaining, keeps the party on their toes, but makes a too-narrrow niche romance. Seeing how the other male romance is even more niche (and I don't want let go of it), I think that monk starts sounding more and more like a good idea rather than a whim. Providing that it gives me another viable character that can cover for a priest, the work can be worthwhile, especially if I cut the bard's romance, balancing my workload. Thanks, guys, that was very helpful :)

She is a self-involved perfectly egoistic half-elven  bard who thinks she is a marvel of manipulation, but her own sharp tongue gets in the way, so in the end she ends up rather blunt and offensive after scoring a few points. She is exotic looking, and tells you a million stories about her incredible adventures and conquests that you can chose to believe or not. She surely don't give a damn one way or another. She is dismissive, and condenscending, and wounding, and she will remain that way, no matter what happens in the romance.

I think this character concept is very original and interesting.

The evil PC I play with would certainly enjoy hearing her grandiose yet perhaps dubious tales of glory. That bard seems to have confidence and attitude, something at least a few people would find attractive, but even if she is condenscending, if the PC knows that her vile remarks aren't true, he wouldn't be too bothered by it. At least her condescendance won't get into the way of an affair, both the PC and bard using each other because because they enjoy each other's company.

Now, if she really meant her nasty remarks, then it would be hard for any self-respecting PC to engage in a long term romance with her. But if there are people fantasizing about an Edwin romance, then why won't they enjoy one such as this?

I think it would be fun to create a cowardly villain that would worship her. I don't think a truly offensive and condescending female NPC romance has been done before. Shar-Teel is like that in the beginning of the romance, but at the end she respects the hero.

Your idea is very original, at least to me.

Oh, no, it's not truly original :)

Yes, she definetly means what she says, in fact, she *believes* what she sais even when it is contradictory. She will not come to respect the character in any possible way. She is just incapable of seeing anyone but herself.

She is definetly a character that will be there, and as a non-romanceable, she'll get some 16 or so talks with PC. In her "friendship" there is already flirting possibilities for PC.

What concerns me is that adding extra content - ie romantic dialogues - will not really change anything about her, it will give a few more sparring opportunities to PC.

I have a nagging feeling though that a more inclusive option with a better emotional pay-back so to speak would be better recieved, and I won't end up with people complaining that there is no one to romance for a male player. Looking at BG1 feedback, the "good" romances are much better recieved than the evil and even border-line ones.

actually, it would be a great Balance-the-Cosmic-Scales if we guys were "forced" to live in the gal's shoes for once... an RPG expansion with fully developed characters and NPCs for female players, while us guys have to bend genders to get the content. Balance for the 99.9% of CRPG's since the very beginning (Zork) that have gone to males first.

Not that I would like that, of course!

She is definetly a character that will be there, and as a non-romanceable, she'll get some 16 or so talks with PC. In her "friendship" there is already flirting possibilities for PC.

Cool. That still seems like a lot of fun.

I have a nagging feeling though that a more inclusive option with a better emotional pay-back so to speak would be better recieved, and I won't end up with people complaining that there is no one to romance for a male player. Looking at BG1 feedback, the "good" romances are much better recieved than the evil and even border-line ones.

Indeed, can't argue with the polls.

My main goal is to have all NPCs developped. There will be no orphans a-la Cernd. They will all have full content, hopefully interesting backstories, and no matter what the combination, they will be talkative. I am trying to be fair, and give them all the same number of talks plus-minus one or two. Yes, romances will add to total development, but more like a 1/3 more content (definetly *not* 9/10!).

I played around with the character, and came up with a more refined concept that will allow her relatively painlessly either remain a Monk or be DC'd into a Priestess. I was aiming for RL India flavor, but that which will work in FR (ie no emphasis on female inequality, no overt useage of RL terminology, a generic derivative of philosophical doctrines). So, still interesting/has potential?

Prachi was born to a noble family in Kuong's (Kuong Kingdom) jungles. A birth like many others, but strange things kept happening when the house astrologer tried to draw the girl’s horoscope in a due time to determine her Path and Future. Upon consulting with a couple of colleagues, who had no more success than himself in taming the familiar charts gone wild, the astrologer advised the parents to bring the girl to the Temple City of Ratneshwar. The wise priests there would be able to determine the appropriate Path of Duty for the girl. Prachi was sent to the Temple with rich gifts and blessings. Few years of observations passed, while Prachi attended upon her Masters as a student, proving more martial than bookish. Finally she was brought before the Masters who were ready to unveil her destiny. There was a restless soul in her, they said, that suffered multiple reincarnations, but at the dawn of time it belonged to a philosopher. It was a noble soul, in truth (which was confirmed by Prachi’s high station in her last rebirths) but etched by the inability to accept that the material world is an illusion. The soul was becoming exhausted and tormented by being reborn so many times and failing to find the release. Moreover, it was on the verge of slipping into evil because of the ancient unresolved conflict. To free herself from that bond, the Masters declared, Prachi should perceive the world’s finite and illusory nature. Hence, she should walk far afield until the realization and enlightenment comes to her. By now twenty, Prachi was deemed capable to undertake the perilous pilgrimage, so almost immediately she embarked on a long journey starting in the famous port city of Marabaya. Her road eventually led her to the Spine of the World, where her teachers say was one of the worlds beginnings.

Looks good Domi, the conflict inherent in her nature makes for some interesting possibilities. A romance with her could turn out to be both quite simple and rather tricky, if she's to stay on the path to enlightenment.

Out of curiosity, which game is this for? You've said it isn't BG2, so I understand that. Sorry if I've missed something obvious.

I picked the human monk, not necessarily because of race, but because I tend to like roleplaying the way romances, or strong emotions in general, conflict with a disciplined lifestyle. Which is why, I suppose, I tend to enjoy romancing paladins.

IWD2 most probably :)NWN2, perhaps, but I doubt I can handle the writting for it, and I'd rather work on something small, but realistic to see through than a grand and sexy vaporware.

Thank you everyone for humoring me! I am adding Prachi (human monk) to the "core" cast increasing it to 7; the evil bard's romance and the cute Gnome Wizardess from Silverymoon are stored in the chest with other 2 char concepts. :)

Archived