More interesting Male PC romantic option

Domi

More interesting (description below)  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, here is the puzzle. Which character from the three below sounds like the best addition to you as a good male PC romantic option? Not BG2, so no other NPCs available, except for those listed below:

Classes already reprsented in NPC set in the format (RAce, Gender): Paladin (HU, M), Barbarian (HO, F), Bard (HE, F)*, Druid (EL, M), Rogue (HA, M), Sorcerer (AS, M), most probably Cleric (DW, F).

*- evil romantic option for MPC

A human monk comes from Maltara (quazi-India). The key character treat is desire to achieve serenity, but she is still not in full control of her emotions.

The gnome, either ranger or wizard; the typical light-hearted, fluffy type, who either thinks all wild animals as cute and tame as rabbits (if ranger) or all magic as pwetty and funny as fireworks.

My own gut is go with the monk. I have had it in the back of my mind to see what could develop with a monk romance, especially if one gave some thought to the monk's training, etc...(of course, given my own lack of progress, it will stay in the back for a while).

Well, the question is, is it because she is human, or because she is a monk? Do people just detest gnomes (even if they get a very pretty portrait), or is that Imoen's personality is not as popular as I thought?

I voted Human Monk, but...

I freely admit that I am racist and sexist in my fantasy life. I usually play the traditional "good-guy" humaniform races as a male PC. Elves, Half-Elves, Humans, (dryad NPC, anyone?), nymphs, shapeshifters, were-beings, catpeople, other-planar beings who resemble humans, etc. -- all fine for romance. Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes -- very hard to imagine a romance, unless you are from similar stock, ever progressing.

Now that I have said that, it occurs to me that my opinion would be very different if I usually roleplayed a Dwarf. Why wouldn't Thorin Oakenshield be interested in a cute gnomish spellcaster, especially a cleric/illusionist or wizard/thief? Heck, my bet is that the only choice of NPC here that would not be used would be the Ranger. I guess I want to vote twice!

:rolleyes:

Well, the question is, is it because she is human, or because she is a monk? Do people just detest gnomes (even if they get a very pretty portrait), or is that Imoen's personality is not as popular as I thought?

Because the character abstract seemed more interesting and less 'typical'. :rolleyes:

Ooooh, I think it actually is totally unexpected to me that a male PC will consider a gnome unromanceable by a human. From my own prespective, I understand why it will be so for me as a female PC - gnomes and halflings will be *much* shorter than my PC, and I am not comfortable with this, but it never entered my mind when I played as-a-male... So is the "I do not want to romance a gnome if I play a taller race" sort of common feeling?

The thing is, if I add this character, I will be adding it for no other reason that to create a romance that would be welcomed for a male PC, so I want it as likable as possible. My main concern with the Monk is that she will be more boring-good, then fun-good, unless I add some quirks. Or should I just mix concepts, and do a cute fluffy human, who is not a monk?

I think the "shorter" thing is there, too, but is less of a problem for me (I can see RL humans going out with all ages colors and sizes, in the best of all possible worlds) than the kind of automatic "kid-like" combo of short, fun, fluffy, and pikie-like. Perhaps an equality thing - partner/protector is preferable to daddy figure. I can think Tinkerbelle is cool, and have her around as a best buddy, but falling for her is just - well - wrong, somehow. Same with Finch. She is as much my type as Keto, but I long for romance w/Keto and couldn't imagine romancing the gnomish librarian, even though my RL wife is definitely the most awesomely romantic lady, and she is a librarian/archaeologist :rolleyes:

I'm bowing out now, though, because I do tend to the conservative when playing. I think that either monk or wizard s going to be a great addition, because your writing comes from character rather than from cardboard. Not to be disparaging of hard work on the original, but that is why the Bioware romances fall flat while the BG1NPC and BG2 Romance mods you have worked on get replayed over and over again -- Interesting characters fight internally with "class" restrictions and become interactive novels. If you have a character in mind, I think the personality will overshadow the packaging very rapidly.

I actually think I'd like a gnome romance, because I've not played a Gnome character ever and it would finally motivate me to do so. I went for the ranger option, mostly because I tend to spellcaster characters myself and I've a soft spot for rangers. Though I admit to thinking that the concept of a Gnome ranger is slightly bizarre, it would be an interesting character to explore.

Monks just don't appeal to me I'm afraid. It might be a slightly strange approach but I can't associate martial artists with the pseudo-medieval world of most fantasy RPGs, no matter how hard I try. I'm well aware of the in-game justification, I just don't like it.

The romances will not be restricted racially, except in one case, because it just cannot be avoided (not ofr a male PC romance). I prefer the player to make the choice him/herself as to plausibility of the romance with his/her particular build of the protagonist.

I didn't realize that viewing the poll results locked me in to a null vote, oops.

I would vote human monk. But gnome ranger isn't bad either. Human monk because that would be a fun NPC addition. In Amn there are monks of Azuth, the order of the Shining Hand. She might belong to that faction. (see FRCS 3rd ed. p.25)

And gnome ranger would offer some romance options for characters who enjoy playing male gnomes.

Archived