[added] A bit surprised...

Salk

I was thinking of the different faith (I am using Diving Remix with TuTu/BGT) that are present in Baldur's Gate and whereabouts...Many evil priests worhsip Cyric. In Baldur's Gate there are priests of Gond and Tymora. Tethoril himself is a Priest of Mystra...

All this to say: I think it could have been good to introduce in Divine Remix kits of faiths that seem to be much more represented (although Oghma was a good addition).

It would make my job with Enhanced Creature much easier... :suspect:

Hmmm.

"Hi, Dad; I am on my way to being either

a. a source of fuel for your re-emergence,

b. a direct demi-god competitor/opposition to you,

c. your worst nightmare,

d. a foul, mindless creature that you use as a tool for destruction

or

e. all of the above.

And by the way, while I have your attention, I thought I would mention that I worship a competitor "friend" of yours, Cyric -- just in case you wanted the Time of Troubles to restart. Can I borrow the keys to the car tonight?" :) sounds like the start of a great sitcom

But to be fair, assuming that the protagonist started out in Candlekeep and went through nearly all of BG1 before learning of his/her parentage, he/she would not know he/she was a Bhaalspawn. After that discovery, he/she would have to do some serious thinking about continuing the worship of Cyric.

In any case, I've always had a hard time getting my head around the idea of an evil protagonist. Unless Gorion was blind/stupid/incredibly tolerant, he certainly would have noticed signs of budding evil in his ward. Given the fact that Gorion certainly knew of his ward's parentage, it's unlikely he would have just let nature take its course.

IRL, however, hellion children of clergy is common enough to be a cliche.

Well, no evil kit for clerics would seem to suit so well the background of mainchar of course as the game is openly intended to be play by a good aligned protagonist but Cyric would make a valid addition to Divine Remix in my opinion. Not to mention that I'd be certainly find great use in the mod Enhanced Creatures where I am to give a kit to many NPCs.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, many NPCs in there are followers of Cyric (Bassilus, Mulahey and many more) so I can't in good conscience kit them with as Firewalker, Nightcloak, Authlim or Stormlord which refer completely different dieties...

I strongly advocate Cyric as 9th kit...After all there is one vacant place left... :)

But to be fair, assuming that the protagonist started out in Candlekeep and went through nearly all of BG1 before learning of his/her parentage, he/she would not know he/she was a Bhaalspawn. After that discovery, he/she would have to do some serious thinking about continuing the worship of Cyric.

I'm thinking more about Cyric's reactions than the PC's.

In other words, "Why in Pandemonium am I continuing to grant divine powers to someone I openly announce I want dead?"

I'm thinking more about Cyric's reactions than the PC's.

In other words, "Why in Pandemonium am I continuing to grant divine powers to someone I openly announce I want dead?"

And who are we to question a Evil God's intentions ? :)

Hmmm.

"Hi, Dad; I am on my way to being either

a. a source of fuel for your re-emergence,

b. a direct demi-god competitor/opposition to you,

c. your worst nightmare,

d. a foul, mindless creature that you use as a tool for destruction

or

e. all of the above.

And by the way, while I have your attention, I thought I would mention that I worship a competitor "friend" of yours, Cyric -- just in case you wanted the Time of Troubles to restart. Can I borrow the keys to the car tonight?" :( sounds like the start of a great sitcom

Being the son of Bhaal doesn't at all mean that an evil priest needs to follow his father's path. Do not forget that Bhaal has not really left his spawn in an ideal condition of living since they are going to kill each other. I find reasonable of the PC to worship another God.

Why, would it be not awkward to be a Priest of Lathander instead ? According to the way you reason, this also should be a good start for a sitcom.

Better open our minds up a little more and accept the fact that CHARNAME could be worshipping any kind of diety at the beginning of the game.

I can only say that I'd consider strange to start with an evil character as Bioware has obviously meant for CHARNAME to take a good path.

But then there should be no Talos either. And no option for making an Evil character.

So I say that worshipping Cyric is as consistent as worshipping any other God...

Kish's point was that Cyric states he wants you dead in ToB, so why would he grant you powers then?

I see your point here...Can you guys perhaps report exactly when and how Cyric says that ? I can't remember, having played ToB several years ago...

Way back in my foggy D&D days, somewhere between 25 and 30 years ago (yikes!), I seem to recall that deities only personally granted very high level spells. The rest were granted by avatars or something like that. I always imagined a bunch of clerky types sitting at battered desks in some massive office amid stacks of spell requisition forms, stamping forms approved and chucking them into filing bins. The ones that made it to your bin were the spells you got that day.

Following this perverse and irrelevant line of thought one step further, I can imagine some poor clerk getting called into the boss's office for not reading the whole form before stampint it approved:

"So, Dennis, you think you don't need to read the whole form? That part where it says 'Supplicant Name' isn't so important? Didn't you think 'Matteo the Bhaalspawn' might merit a little scrutiny? We've been giving spells to this punk for months. You can't just approve the requests without reading them! We could have *anyone* asking for spells. Get back to your desk, and don't make me talk to you again."

Sorry.

------------

But, on a more relevant tangent, I'm willing to suspend disbelief anywhere evil characters are concerned. The game *is* strongly stacked in favor of goodness/neutrality. It takes a lot of work to acheive true notoriety, since so many of the quests can only be completed by doing things that will raise your reputation.

Archived