Typos and inconsistencies in v12a11

Ascendency-Down

OK, this one I am not sure:

~What do you mean, what did I do? A!~

comes from "would you do", so the first fix is

~What do you mean, what would I do? A!~

and goes on to

IF ~~ SHRO15.1

SAY ~Whatever jerk downs you - I'd make him choke on his own guts, that's what I'd do.~

This one I need to take to the author.

From Ginger, not-yet-able-to-register;

Cmorgan to Ginger:

ABSOLUTELY fabulous, and just right! Let me know how registering proceeds. Until then, I am posting up the (non-personal message) parts of the typos and repairing them. I will get back to you on the " vs ' thing; I believe that we use 'quote' for quotes, *action or emotional content here* for stuff like *quietly* or *Imoen hits Montaron with the pan*. As far as stressing words, all I have seen is ALLCAPS for shouting.

EDIT: pulled together project guidelines and posted 'em!

-------------- Original message ----------------------

> Anyway, this is what I spotted on the weekend... they may have been

> reported already:

>

> * The conversation with Kolssed, on the East-of-Candlekeep map. Imoen

> tells him, 'We just got out of CandleKeep and startin' on a grand... '

> needs an 'are' before 'startin'

>

fixed

> * Kolssed then advises me to travel with 'like-minded' companions; now

> Imoen pipes up, 'Ya hear him? Like minded companions'! Is the house

> style to use the dash between like and minded? They just need to be

> consistent.

>

switched to dash ('like-minded') to match Bioware dialogue entry

> * Same conversation, same line from Imoen: 'Like minded companions!

> That'd me!' Needs a 'be' before 'me'

>

fixed

> * Same conversation, same line from Imoen: 'Imoen the Magnificent is

> gonna yat make an adventurer out of ya!' I guess that's 'yet make'...

>

already fixed

> * PC-initiated dialogue with Khalid: when you get him to talk about his

> past, he starts out with, 'Well I was...' just needs a comma after the

> 'well'.

fixed.

> * If you thought that last one was being nit-picky, this is worse... is

> the house style to use single or double quotes? Monty initiated a

> before-bed conversation about cooking dinner, defining dinner as

> 'whatever-we-caught-lately stew'. Heh. Then, after Charname chose the

> 'ah, afraid one of us will slip ...' option, he responded with: "One of

> us" ud get the same... so both types of quotes are in there. Again

> that's just a very fiddly little consistency thing.

>

I am going to take a look... I think we are supposed to use ' instead of ", but I can't find the reference post. Until then, I am going to say my gut says ' rather than " because WeiDU code uses " as a string delimiter, and I want to be able to scan for differences without parts of strings suddently highlighted as if they were variables :).

> This may well indeed be being far too nitpicky, but years of working in

> magazines has fried my brain to the point where I actually notice this

> stuff! Is there a house style FAQ up on the playtesting forum? I'm

> assuming it's mostly standard American, program instead of programme,

> traveler instead of traveller, that sort of thing, but I like to be sure...

The senior members will weigh in (I hope), but I do not find it distracting to see US/UK spellings interchanged. I do find inconsistent uses catch my eye and distract, though, so if the conversation starts with "armour" and the same character two lines later says "armor", then it jars me. If two differenrt NPCs use them in the same conversation, it is easy to write off as "accent".

And there is no such thing as "too nit-picky"; if it falls to the level of detail where the community says "nope, don't bother" then it won't be included -- but if it catches your eye, then you can bet there is someone out there who said the same thing in the back of their mind!

I found some more typos running around in the archives.

In a banter with Xzar about his broken vial, 'I use them to collect... specimen...' that, and in the response, should be plural.

And please clairify the 'Just don't make me a specimen, ok?'. I'm not sure if you mean make one as a gift, or make you into a specimen.

And in Montarons banter with Skie, 'take t' hangin wi' a pair o' alley-bashers and cuthroats', there's no apostraphe after hangin, and cutthroat is spelled with two t's.

During Minsc's banter with Kivan, 'ummm...o h, what's the word... ', obvious.

In X#ADJANTIS.D

During Ajantis' banter with Alora, 'Bad, presumably, though a man should feed on his faith alone', the apostraphe should be after 'though', not 'presumably'. Both could work, though the one I outlined is better for what he's saying.

During Ajantis' banter with Edwin, 'If any diety ever heard out just the tenth portion of the pathetic fools', should be 'a tenth potion', not 'the tenth portion'.

During Ajantis' banter with Eldoth, 'I do not understand your scorns, bard. What is it I've said to incite irony?', works better as 'I do not understand your scourn, bard. What have I done to incite it'.

During Ajantis' banter with Kagain about the joke, 'How can you tell when a dwarf is standing to close to your woman'. Should be 'too close', not 'to close'. And I don't get the joke either :).

During a banter between Ajantis and Viconia, you spelled menzoberranzan with two z's at the beginning.

EDIT: In Ajantis' banter with Alora the comma is in the wrong place, not apostraphe.

And from now on I'll post these in the other place.

And, I'm not sure if you've fixed this one, but during the fight with Shar-Teel in v12 a11, the fight ends just after it starts, and I give her the 20 gold.

Shar-Teel interjection during the dialogue with Mutamin (the gnome wizard with the pet basilisks):

"Do you expect me to start screaming at the top of my lungs, because of your stupid lizards? I killed two yesterday; See this belt? Bring them on; I can use more! And I'll let you keep the eyes, heh."

"See" after the semicolon should start with a lower case letter.

The following Shar-Teel flirt ends with a "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS"-warning and strange text in the "continue"/"end dialogue"-button:

Shar-Teel: *Shar-Teel, the mighty she-warrior that shares your blankets by night, walks over to you.*

Shar-Teel: *Shar-Teel undoes her straps and takes off her helmet. She rolls her head from one shoulder ... helm back in place.

And I guess there should be another asterisk at the end of the second sentence.

I found some more typos running around in the archives.

In a banter with Xzar about his broken vial, 'I use them to collect... specimen...' that, and in the response, should be plural.

And please clairify the 'Just don't make me a specimen, ok?'. I'm not sure if you mean make one as a gift, or make you into a specimen.

Began to fix, then had second thoughts, hit the trusty OED, and sure enough... "specimens" is the plural. I guess in colloquial speech, we say "collect a specimen from each of them" or just use "sample". Fixed in that whole speech, with the end reference "into a specimen" used, because it matches the next line of dialogue.

And in Montarons banter with Skie, 'take t' hangin wi' a pair o' alley-bashers and cuthroats', there's no apostraphe after hangin, and cutthroat is spelled with two t's.

fixed

During Minsc's banter with Kivan, 'ummm...o h, what's the word... ', obvious.

fixed

During Ajantis' banter with Alora, 'Bad, presumably, though a man should feed on his faith alone', the apostraphe should be after 'though', not 'presumably'. Both could work, though the one I outlined is better for what he's saying. EDIT: In Ajantis' banter with Alora the comma is in the wrong place, not apostraphe.

This one I am going to leave alone unless Jastey responds "yes, change it"... since both work, it may be a speech pattern/cadence thing which is author choice.

During Ajantis' banter with Edwin, 'If any diety ever heard out just the tenth portion of the pathetic fools', should be 'a tenth potion', not 'the tenth portion'.

changed to "just a tenth portion"

During Ajantis' banter with Eldoth, 'I do not understand your scorns, bard. What is it I've said to incite irony?', works better as 'I do not understand your scourn, bard. What have I done to incite it'.

I agree, Grand Dracolich, but again this one may be an intentional use of archaeic phrases. Can one use "scorns" that way? To scorn, yes; a scorn -- well, author intent wins, unless someone objects violently. "A scorn on your house" ... "A pox on both your houses" ... I leave it to the writers :) if "scorns" is not changed, then the line should stay as is. If changed, we match G_D's phrasing. Please provide advice...

During Ajantis' banter with Kagain about the joke, 'How can you tell when a dwarf is standing to close to your woman'. Should be 'too close', not 'to close'. And I don't get the joke either :).

fixed, and... the reference is particularly raunchy, and matches parallel RL jokes about short women with flat heads. Not family entertainment, definitely not Ajantis (or my) style of humor, but definitely up Kagain's alley. No editing required; the Project encompasses so many different types of humor and scenes that we just assume the majority of folks playing the mods have heard much raunchier.

During a banter between Ajantis and Viconia, you spelled menzoberranzan with two z's at the beginning.

And from now on I'll post these in the other place.

fixed

And, I'm not sure if you've fixed this one, but during the fight with Shar-Teel in v12 a11, the fight ends just after it starts, and I give her the 20 gold.

moving to workroom... I will investigate :)

Shar-Teel interjection during the dialogue with Mutamin (the gnome wizard with the pet basilisks):

"Do you expect me to start screaming at the top of my lungs, because of your stupid lizards? I killed two yesterday; See this belt? Bring them on; I can use more! And I'll let you keep the eyes, heh."

"See" after the semicolon should start with a lower case letter.

fixed

The following Shar-Teel flirt ends with a "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS"-warning and strange text in the "continue"/"end dialogue"-button:

Shar-Teel: *Shar-Teel, the mighty she-warrior that shares your blankets by night, walks over to you.*

Shar-Teel: *Shar-Teel undoes her straps and takes off her helmet. She rolls her head from one shoulder ... helm back in place.

This one I have to get a second opinion on. This is a set of random replies, so some typo must have crept into the code:

IF ~RandomNum(30,1)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL31
IF ~RandomNum(30,2)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL32
IF ~RandomNum(30,3)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL33
IF ~RandomNum(30,4)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL34
IF ~RandomNum(30,5)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL35
IF ~RandomNum(30,6)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL36
IF ~RandomNum(30,7)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL37
IF ~RandomNum(30,8)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL38
IF ~RandomNum(30,9)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL39
IF ~RandomNum(30,10)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL40
IF ~RandomNum(30,11)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL41
IF ~RandomNum(30,12)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL42
IF ~RandomNum(30,13)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL43
IF ~RandomNum(30,14)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL44
IF ~RandomNum(30,15)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL45
IF ~RandomNum(30,16)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL46
IF ~RandomNum(30,17)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL47
IF ~RandomNum(30,18)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL48
IF ~RandomNum(30,19)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL49
IF ~RandomNum(30,20)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL50
IF ~RandomNum(30,21)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL51
IF ~RandomNum(30,22)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL52
IF ~RandomNum(30,23)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL53
IF ~RandomNum(30,24)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL54
IF ~RandomNum(30,25)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL55
IF ~RandomNum(30,26)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL56
IF ~RandomNum(30,27)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL57
IF ~RandomNum(30,28)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL58
IF ~RandomNum(30,29)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL59
IF ~RandomNum(30,30)~ THEN GOTO SHINFL60
END

all of these are appended to J file, and match the syntax IF ~~ SHINFL57

Moving this to the workroom for more experienced eyes to help...

And I guess there should be another asterisk at the end of the second sentence.

fixed

- A missing comma during the dialogue with Brielbara after fetching Yago's book, when Coran is in the party: "What about you Coran? ..."

- A missing asterisk during the dialogue with Abela the nymph, when Coran is in the party: *Abela throws a weighting glance at Coran, but then jerks her eyes away and sighs.

- While I could tell the guards in the Silvershield estate about Eddard Silvershield's pin, I had no dialogue option to tell Brilla (Lady Silvershield) about it so that I couldn't finish the quest. I had no problems to do so in v11. I had the pin in my inventory the whole time, of course.

- By the way, the description of Eddard Silvershield's Fibula speaks of a "broach", but it should be "brooch".

- Was the Coran/Brielbara-relationship altered? With v11 installed Brielbara demands that Coran takes the child with him, whereupon Coran asks the PC if he should do so (Coran-romance never was active). In v12a11 this doesn't happen at all (again Coran-romance inactive). Intended change or bug?

EDIT: The Coran-dialogue if he should go back to Brielbara popped up, when I started the player-initiated dialogue.

Guest Ginger the Unregistrable

Just a couple more little things from she-who-cannot-register-no-matter-what-she-tries:

* When Garrick offered to join my party, Imoen says: 'I mean, CHARNAME, he can join us, right? ... someone gotta write the ballades about my beauty and bravery, ya know?' should be 'ballads'

* PC-initiated talk with Xzar, asking him 'tell me about yourself': just a syntaxy kind of thing. *Xzar does unstopper the cork...* shouldn't that be just *Xzar unstoppers the cork* , or is it meant to convey emphasis on the 'does' which isn't then expressed through punctuation?

* Binky the Buffoon (Carnival map) seems to have developed a rather girly voice, but I'm not sure if that's just something I've never noticed before.

I think I might be stuck as a guest, because I've tried to register on two different computers using three different email accounts now, and no confirmation email ever comes back to me ... :(

- A missing comma during the dialogue with Brielbara after fetching Yago's book, when Coran is in the party: "What about you Coran? ..."

fixed before, or part of the regular dialogue -- can find no matching string in the v12 alpha 12 almost ready for release to you folks.

- A missing asterisk during the dialogue with Abela the nymph, when Coran is in the party: *Abela throws a weighting glance at Coran, but then jerks her eyes away and sighs.

fixed 2 occurrences of this typo

- While I could tell the guards in the Silvershield estate about Eddard Silvershield's pin, I had no dialogue option to tell Brilla (Lady Silvershield) about it so that I couldn't finish the quest. I had no problems to do so in v11. I had the pin in my inventory the whole time, of course.

hmmm... I am double checking. If the alpha you are using is less than 11, then the guard is reaction-dependent rather than detect-item dependent, and it can be tough to get everything to go right. I think the addition I have made that makes sure the guard passes you if you have the item is in v12 alpha 12, about to come out... ; if you are interested in troubleshooting, look to see if your file

X#KAQST.D in Phase2

has the last few lines in the file

EXTEND_BOTTOM ~_HOUSG3~ 0
IF ~PartyHasItem("X#SILSH")~ THEN REPLY ~We bring news for Lord and Lady Silvershield. We believe that we have found news of their son. Any chance this pin is one of yours?~ GOTO X#SilverGuardPass
END

APPEND ~_HOUSG3~
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN X#SilverGuardPass
SAY ~I see that you have the household Sigil. Please go to meet Lady Silvershield directly. You can find her upstairs.~ 
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
END

If they are there, I messed up somehow -- please advise.

- By the way, the description of Eddard Silvershield's Fibula speaks of a "broach", but it should be "brooch".

leaving as is unless more folks weigh in in favor of a systematic change; Mirriam Webster has brooch=broach=fibula. It might be a regional thing; please advise.

- Was the Coran/Brielbara-relationship altered? With v11 installed Brielbara demands that Coran takes the child with him, whereupon Coran asks the PC if he should do so (Coran-romance never was active). In v12a11 this doesn't happen at all (again Coran-romance inactive). Intended change or bug?

I didn't change anything there, but this one is a call to Domi for help... :( - with the tighter timers on closing globals, we might be seeing some interactions not work as planned, and we need to troublesoot this a.s.a.p.

EDIT: just saw your edit. Calling for backup.

Just a couple more little things from she-who-cannot-register-no-matter-what-she-tries:

* When Garrick offered to join my party, Imoen says: 'I mean, CHARNAME, he can join us, right? ... someone gotta write the ballades about my beauty and bravery, ya know?' should be 'ballads'

fixed 3 references in all files from "ballade(s)" to "ballad(s)". I'm a musician, with a love for midaevil ballades, chanson, and canon, but the correct reference for the style tranlates as ballad (plural ballads) as in "Ballads, Songs, and Snatches". So there! ;) I know, I know, there is even a debate over the use of "midaevil" -- how about "European Troubador and Trouvere Songs from the Middle Ages" :p )

* PC-initiated talk with Xzar, asking him 'tell me about yourself': just a syntaxy kind of thing. *Xzar does unstopper the cork...* shouldn't that be just *Xzar unstoppers the cork* , or is it meant to convey emphasis on the 'does' which isn't then expressed through punctuation?

fixed to *Xzar unstoppers the cork*

* Binky the Buffoon (Carnival map) seems to have developed a rather girly voice, but I'm not sure if that's just something I've never noticed before.

checked this on my install; yep, it is a girly-ish voice, but the correct one.

I think I might be stuck as a guest, because I've tried to register on two different computers using three different email accounts now, and no confirmation email ever comes back to me ... :(

Domi is paging Cam to check on this... you are not alone. The SpamBots have been clobbering Cam, so he has been updating security; he will be on the case and get it resolved quickly, I am sure :D.

@cmorgan:

- Regarding the Silvershield-quest: I'm using v12a11, and the code you copied in is present. When the party is talking to the guards, the pin can be mentioned to access the upper floor without a fight. Works as it should. But I have no dialogue option to tell Lady Silvershield about her son or the pin. Does it matter that I never had Kagain in the party, since the pin is related to his personal quest?

- Regarding the brooch/broach-thing: I checked in two English/German-dictionaries, but there are much more reliable reference books. Guess you native speakers have to find out.

OK, that is good news: now I know what to fix. The interjection with Lady Silvershield must not be working for some reason -- I will find out why and fix it. It should fire solely on the pin's existence, you definitely do not need Kagain to ever have been in the party. It is likely that there is a typo/remname thing happening here that I caused while updating the directory structure and renaming .itm files.

EDIT: nope -- the code is there;

EXTEND_BOTTOM _BRILLA 0
+ ~PartyHasItem("X#SILSH")~ + ~Madam, I bring grave news. In my travels I came across a raided caravan... and a body of a young man, dressed in Silvershield colors. The bandits who killed him had this clasp.~ + BrillaEddardDeath
END

I will look for reasons this would not show up, and get back to you (and hopefully fix it).

Ascendency_Down, the native speakers are actually more likely to make mistakes because of colloquial use -- please don't stop on the suggestions!

Archived