Typos and inconsistencies in v12a11

Ascendency-Down

1. The Shar-Teel interjection during the conversation with Knott, a bandit found in a tent in the Bandit Camp, reads as follows:

"Look, his knees turned to jelly. Squeeze this male slug harder, and he'd cough out anything you want to know (name of the PC)."

A comma is missing in front of the name of the PC.

2. I have another little issue with the Kivan-banter about the meaning of the "Shilmista". He says:

"Yes, it's the name of my native land, mellonamin. It means the 'Forest of Shadows'. Lately I have been pondering."

You get three dialogue options: You can shut him up, ask if there is a "hidden meaning" or wait silently for him to continue. If you choose to remain silent, he goes on:

"Not hidden, rather ... personal. For me it is indeed full of shadows."

The "not hidden" alludes directly to the second answer and doesn't fit when the PC remained silent beforehand in my opinion.

And I found these in _NPCWAIT.TRA

line @11 and @19 'On second thoughtss' remove the second s.

@54 and @56 'When in Baldur's Gate Minsc' should have a comma.

@111 'from the, from the...' should probably be 'from the... from the...'. And 'Yess! That's the *right* word.' remove the second s.

@113 'diseased chimpansees' chimpanzee is spelled with a z.

Just finished Jaheira's personal quest in Cloakwood. No problems during the actual quest, but paying a visit to Archdruid Amarande on the upper floor of the tree house turned out to be buggy. The whole dialogue between Jaheira and Amarande is the following:

Amarande: "Seniyad's followers are well known to me; you travel with the one known as Jaheira. Her naive views of society living in harmony with nature must be cleansed from the world, so that nature might regain the respect it deserves! As a Shadow Archdruid it falls to me to be the sickle that cleaves your parasitic taint from this forest! There will be no talking, no negotiation!"

Jaheira: "Or perhaps you were expecting a release of a trespasser? Fools... Nature is brutal, efficient, and unforgiving. You will get no help from me."

Jaheira: "Hand over Maretha now, Amaranthe... or are you not truly ArchDruid here?"

Amarande: "I am ArchDruid here, and I make the decisions. Andarthe merely extends my will with force. he is away, leading the rituals on the Island to cleanse this wood of the taint. Only he can release those I have ceded to him. Tell Senyad that his days are numbered, as are those of his feeble followers!"

There are four different problems:

- The spelling of Amarande's profession changes: At first, he's an "Archdruid", later on an "ArchDruid".

- The second sentence ("Or perhaps you were expecting a release of a trespasser? Fools... Nature is brutal, efficient, and unforgiving. You will get no help from me.") should be spoken by Amarande and not by Jaheira.

- Third, the spelling of Jaheira's druid mentor varies, too: At first "Seniyad", later "Senyad". If I am not mistaken, the latter is wrong.

- There is a continuity issue: I got this dialogue, when Maretha was already freed and Andarthe killed. While it is possible that Amarande isn't aware of this yet, Jaheira should definitely know. The whole dialogue assumes that the player visits the treehouse before rescuing Jaheira's druid friend in the next Cloakwood area.

1. The Shar-Teel interjection during the conversation with Knott, a bandit found in a tent in the Bandit Camp, reads as follows:

"Look, his knees turned to jelly. Squeeze this male slug harder, and he'd cough out anything you want to know (name of the PC)."

A comma is missing in front of the name of the PC.

fixed.

2. I have another little issue with the Kivan-banter about the meaning of the "Shilmista". He says:

"Yes, it's the name of my native land, mellonamin. It means the 'Forest of Shadows'. Lately I have been pondering."

You get three dialogue options: You can shut him up, ask if there is a "hidden meaning" or wait silently for him to continue. If you choose to remain silent, he goes on:

"Not hidden, rather ... personal. For me it is indeed full of shadows."

The "not hidden" alludes directly to the second answer and doesn't fit when the PC remained silent beforehand in my opinion.

repaired "are hailing from" to "hail from"; how about a rephrasing that meets both silence and the promt, like

SAY ~There is no hidden meaning, rather... a personal one. For me it is indeed full of shadows.~

This is included, pending discussion and approval, as it does not fundamentally alter the pathway.

And I found these in _NPCWAIT.TRA

line @11 and @19 'On second thoughtss' remove the second s.

@54 and @56 'When in Baldur's Gate Minsc' should have a comma.

@111 'from the, from the...' should probably be 'from the... from the...'. And 'Yess! That's the *right* word.' remove the second s.

@113 'diseased chimpansees' chimpanzee is spelled with a z.

repaired @11 and @19, @54 and @56, @113

changed

@111 = ~Good riddance. (I am not being cast out, I... I am merely biding my time, taking a well-deserved rest away from these... from these pesky... simians! Yes! That's the right word.)~

Question on use of * = I think the ( ) is Edwin specific, muttering under breath, and that *action or word* is third-person intent/qualifyer. What do we use instead of * for stress?

e.g.:

~*quietly* Hello there, people... ~
~*cmorgan moves over to the side of the screen and stares intently*~
~I am at a loss as to how to STRESS words (I am tired of these crazy people yelling all the time using capitals.)~

There are four different problems:

- The spelling of Amarande's profession changes: At first, he's an "Archdruid", later on an "ArchDruid".

Fixed with a global search for the title, and all (11) instances repaired to "Archdruid" - checked on the Druid level progression chart of the original Player's Handbook. If things have changed in v2, 2E, 3, or all of you modern players with your new rules, let me know and I will change it again. I am particularly "old skool rulz"; it is sometimes tough for me to get past the pamphlets into the actual hardbound originals :).

- The second sentence ("Or perhaps you were expecting a release of a trespasser? Fools... Nature is brutal, efficient, and unforgiving. You will get no help from me.") should be spoken by Amarande and not by Jaheira.

That was my bad... I set the chain to the wrong person. It now calls on ~_AMARAN~ as it is supposed to.

- Third, the spelling of Jaheira's druid mentor varies, too: At first "Seniyad", later "Senyad". If I am not mistaken, the latter is wrong.

Repaired (2) instances where the typo exists; now everything refers to "Seniyad"

- There is a continuity issue: I got this dialogue, when Maretha was already freed and Andarthe killed. While it is possible that Amarande isn't aware of this yet, Jaheira should definitely know. The whole dialogue assumes that the player visits the treehouse before rescuing Jaheira's druid friend in the next Cloakwood area.

OK, this is a coding problem. I thought I adjusted it to reflect all orders, but instead only set it to reflect two conditions:

No quest = Global("X#JaheiraSen","GLOBAL",0)

or

Jaheira Quest active or completed = GlobalGT("X#JaheiraSen","GLOBAL",0)

Rather than rebuilding the whole thing with specific references to ranges of globals, I am going to try to modify this one interaction to cover two paths, and you folks tell me if it is possible to have another path occur:

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN ~_AMARAN~ JQTreeHouse
~Or perhaps you were expecting a release of a trespasser? Fools... Nature is brutal, efficient, and unforgiving. You will get no help from me.~ DO 
== ~_JAHEIJ~ IF ~Global("X#MarethaResolved","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ~Hand over Maretha now, Amaranthe... or are you not truly Archdruid here?~
== ~_JAHEIJ~ IF ~Global("X#MarethaResolved","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~We have freed Maretha now, Amaranthe... she and Beador are beyond your power.~ 
== ~_FALDOJ~ IF ~InParty("faldorn") ~ THEN ~Hear me, Amaranthe! Talk to them, if only for a moment. I lead them to destroy the mines. Once Jaheira has seen the wounds the Great Mother had suffered there, she will be more amenable to our cause.~
== ~_AMARAN~ IF ~InParty("faldorn")~ THEN ~Foolish wolfling, clear your mind. Jaheira will not convert.~
== ~_FALDOJ~ IF ~InParty("faldorn")~ THEN ~That is my call, and my decision.~
== ~_AMARAN~ IF ~Global("X#MarethaResolved","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ~I am Archdruid here, and I make the decisions. Andarthe merely extends my will with force. He is away, leading the rituals on the Island to cleanse this wood of the taint. Only he can release those I have ceded to him. Senyad will learn that his days are numbered, as are those of his feeble followers!~
== ~_AMARAN~ IF ~Global("X#MarethaResolved","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~I am Archdruid here. I make the decisions. Andarthe merely extended my will with force. He may have failed to cleanse this wood of the taint, but I can still resolve that myself. Senyad will learn that his days are numbered, as are those of his feeble followers!~
END
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#AmarantheAndarthe","GLOBAL",2) Enemy()~ EXIT
IF ~InParty("faldorn")~ THEN EXTERN ~_AMARAN~ WarnFaldornJahQ

This should do it, I think:

• If the party shows up without the quest, the regular interaction should happen.
  • If they show up before meeting Maretha (with or without Faldorn) they should get the talk then; the only way out without fighting is if Faldorn is in the party. Returning again with Faldorn leads to the regular Bioware interactions again, or into the "busy - can't talk" situation.
  • If the party talks to Amaranthe after freeing Maretha, Jaheira and Amarathe reflect this before battle. Again, the only way out of combat is through Faldorn's intercession (if she has somehow managed to stay with the party through the quest, then the logic for both the Archdruid and Faldorn is clear: the party remaining alive to clear the mines is more important than local transgressions, no matter how great. After all, Montaron can always be hired for some "wet work"...)

EDIT: added

SetGlobal("X#MarethaResolved","GLOBAL",1)

to all exit points for Maretha final dialogue.

The Shoal the Nereid-quest is still broken if Coran is in the party. Depending on which NPC is talking to her she either has nothing to say at all or the conversation is ended abruptly after the the first answer is chosen. As soon as Coran isn't in the party anymore, the quest works like it should.

Moving this one to the workroom; I may need to call for backup. This is a persistent problem with Coran/Neirid's interaction, and master modders have tried to fix it several versions... I will put it on the list with Ajantis' Dream Sequence talks to take to the Big Guns for help. Worst comes to worst, I ask the development team if it is worth a complete rewrite, or if it should be scrapped.

EDIT: August 16, 2006: Decision was to scrap this interaction. In this instance, dealing with such a complicated interaction, it is just too difficult to get this to work consistently without stripping out the whole interaction and rebuilding both the Bioware (hard to do, causes potential conflicts with other mods, and is contrary to BG1NPC goals) and BG1NPC content. Especially as the payoff is two very short sentences which do not develop plot or character significantly.

Not sure if this is a bug: In Shar-Teel's Lovetalk 11 (LT11: "*Shar-Teel whistles* <CHARNAME>! Come here!") after choosing to ignore her first and then picking the longwinded answer that you are neither her dog or slave, two answer options appear, while the "end dialogue"-button is visible. Normally, "end dialogue" is never present, when you still have to pick an answer. After chosing one of the answers there is no reaction and the dialogue is ended. I can't really say for sure if Shar-Teel's answer is suppressed, but it seems likely.

Found a few more typos looking through the archive.

In _RBALDU.D

Third block of text 'Anyhow, one of the dead guys son is now the leader', son should be sons.

In X#ADDIAL.D

During a banter with Faldorn about the miners 'You are *that* stupid, ei?', ei should be eh.

During the 'A beast within you' banter (or whatever) with Faldorn: 'hmm...n ow that I think about it', quite obvious.

During a banter with Edwin about killing Dynahier: 'not going to be here for you to enjoy,if the witch lives'. Theres no space after the comma.

Not sure if this is a bug: In Shar-Teel's Lovetalk 11 (LT11: "*Shar-Teel whistles* <CHARNAME>! Come here!") after choosing ...snip... After chosing one of the answers there is no reaction and the dialogue is ended. I can't really say for sure if Shar-Teel's answer is suppressed, but it seems likely.

This one?

/* Interest Talk 11 */
IF WEIGHT #-2
~Global("X#SharInterestTalk","GLOBAL",22)~ THEN BEGIN SHRO10
SAY ~*Shar-Teel whistles* <CHARNAME>! Come here!~
++ ~*You ignore her.*~ + SHRO10.1
++ ~*You cringe.* I wish you'd stop doing it, Shar-Teel.~ + SHRO10.2
++ ~Yes, Shar-Teel?~ + SHRO10.3
++ ~*Without saying a word, you come up to Shar-Teel, wrap your arms around her shoulders and kiss her neck.*~ + SHRO10.4
END

If so, definitely suppressed; continues in your sequence (ignore, thentalk longest) with

IF ~~ SHRO10.8
SAY ~Do you do it on purpose?! Speak in these long, crooked sentences, and your voice is all... all... you know, like you are saying something very profound? And your eyes look into mine. I feel like you are a snake trying to crawl into my breeches... under my very skin!~
++ ~Shh... calm down. There are no snakes here. It's just how I always speak.~ EXIT
++ ~*quietly* I was trying to get to know you, she-bear. To understand you... people do it when they do not wish to belittle or exploit their... their beloved.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#SharKind","GLOBAL",1)~ + SHRO10.10
END

Only problem is, I don't see a problem with the code that would cause that to fail like that. I am moving it to the workroom for a second look.

Third block of text 'Anyhow, one of the dead guys son is now the leader', son should be sons.

repaired to

one of the dead guy's sons is now the leader,

During a banter with Faldorn about the miners 'You are *that* stupid, ei?', ei should be eh.

repaired to

SAY ~You are *that* stupid, eh? Or did the monks twist you into Nature’s Enemy? I thought you had the right instincts... ~

During the 'A beast within you' banter (or whatever) with Faldorn: 'hmm...n ow that I think about it', quite obvious.

fixed

During a banter with Edwin about killing Dynahier: 'not going to be here for you to enjoy,if the witch lives'. Theres no space after the comma.

fixed

Ascendancy Down, Grand Dracolich, you folks both completely rock; set 'em up, and I'll shoot 'em down!

Sorry for being so unclear in the Shar-Teel case. The text window displayed:

"Shar-Teel: "Do you do it on purpose?! Speak in these long, crooked sentences, and your voice is all... all... you know, like you are saying something very profound? And your eyes look into mine. I feel like you are a snake trying to crawl into my breeches... under my very skin!"

1: - Shh... calm down. There are no snakes here. It's just how I always speak.

2: - *quietly* I was trying to get to know you, she-bear. To understand you... people do it when they do not wish to belittle or exploit their... their beloved.

End dialogue"

Since the first answer is supposed to end the dialogue immediately without a response from Shar-Teel (If I interprete your code correctly, that is.), no text seems to get suppressed. I was just suspicious of the combination of answer choices and "end dialogue"-button which I haven't seen before in the game. Or at least I can't remember.

And found another typo in the Jaheira/Coran-banter regarding the virility enhancing effect of wyvern remains. Jaheira talks about "angkegs" instead of "ankhegs".

In Shar-Teel's lovetalk 15 you can ask her the following: "Shar-Teel, can I ask you just one question? Why did you risk your independence and trade the life of a sworn sword for a mere fifty gold?"

Just double-checked it: She asks for 20 and not for 50 gold pieces.

Since the first answer is supposed to end the dialogue immediately without a response from Shar-Teel (If I interprete your code correctly, that is.), no text seems to get suppressed. I was just suspicious of the combination of answer choices and "end dialogue"-button which I haven't seen before in the game. Or at least I can't remember.

Completely harmless, and a writer's choice here :)

And found another typo in the Jaheira/Coran-banter regarding the virility enhancing effect of wyvern remains. Jaheira talks about "angkegs" instead of "ankhegs".

Fixed, and all files scanned for the same typo and fixed.

In Shar-Teel's lovetalk 15 you can ask her the following: "Shar-Teel, can I ask you just one question? Why did you risk your independence and trade the life of a sworn sword for a mere fifty gold?"

Just double-checked it: She asks for 20 and not for 50 gold pieces.

Checking to see if this is a variable/reputation/reaction dependent thing... nope, only possible response. Changed to "twenty".

Archived