Request for feedback

DavidW

Lemernis: there is a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with your tactical abilities. You're taking out that annoying response time. You know, that time between the time the hostiles show up and time it takes to figure out what you're facing, how many, where your mage is, etc.

I'm noticing that the intelligent targeting seems to be working great. Unfortunately for Nimbul, he tried to put Xan, an elf, to sleep, despite the fact that 4 of the party were in melee range. So bonus points for targeting the mage, but penalty points for trying to sleep or charm an elf. Still, the targeting does seem to make more sense.

But Sleep has an effect radius of 'sight of caster' (seems to be the same radius as Fireball, Stinking Cloud, etc.) so he could have been casting upon the the entire party? And that would be smart, since Sleep is extremely powerful in BG1. Now if Nimbul Cast Power Word: Sleep specifically on Xan, then I can see that being an error in judgment on his part, heh!

But I guess you're saying Xan was far enough away from the meleers that it was clear Nimbul was tageting the spellcaster to the rear and ignoring the enemies right in his face, rather than casting at an intermediate point between them (which would make more sense with an area of effect spell).

I know that many of the racial spell immunities that the BG1 manual cites were never actually implemented, and it's never been clear to me which immunities if any actually made it into the game. Racial infravision and ability score bonuses and penalties are implemented. But to my knowledge many if not all of the spell immunities never were. But then again Tutu uses the BG2 engine, so maybe they're in there?

BG1

Human

May advance as any class and advance to any level (within the game's cap), may dual class

Bonus: None

Penalty: None

Elf

Infravision (60 feet)

Resistance (90%) to Charm & Sleep Magic Very skilled Bow & Long Sword (+1 to attack)

Bonus: Dexterity +1

Penalty: Constitution -1

Half-Elf

Infravision (60 feet)

Limited resistance (30%) to Charm and Sleep spells

Bonus: None

Penalty: None

Gnome

Infravision (60 feet)

Natural resistance to Magic (saving throws against Magic +1 for every 3.5 CON)

Bonus: Intelligence +1

Penalty: Wisdom -1

Halfling

Limited Infravision (at creation 15% chance of 60 feet else 25% chance of 30 feet)

Highly resistant to Poisons and Magic (saving throws against Magic & Poisons +1 for every 3.5 CON)

Skilled with Slings (+1 to attack)

Bonus: Dexterity +1

Penalty: Strength -1, Wisdom -1

Dwarf

Infravision (60 feet)

Natural resistance to Magic and Poison (saving throws against Magic & Poisons +1 for every 3.5 CON)

Bonus: Constitution +1

Penalty: Charisma -2, Dexterity -1

BG2

Human: "may advance as any class, and advance to any level"

Dwarves: "natural resistance to magic and poison... infravision... gain a bonus to their Constitution, but incur

a penalty to their Charisma."

Elves: "natural resistance to charm and sleep magics... infravision... very skilled in the use of the bow and long sword... bonus to their Dexterity, but incur a penalty to their Constitution."

Gnomes: "natural resistance to magic... infravision... bonus to their Intelligence scores, but incur a penalty to their Wisdom."

Halflings: "highly resistant to poisons and magic... naturally skilled with slings... limited ability to

see in the dark... bonus to their Dexterity and incur a penalty to their Strength."

Half-Elves: "limited resistance to Charm and Sleep spells... infravision."

Half-Orcs: "bonus to their strength and constitution, but a penalty to intelligence

and charisma."

Same info as BG1, so it looks like no changes were made in theory to the racial attributes in BG2. But in practice, what if any of the magic immunities actually got implemented?

Elves & half-elves don't have sleep / charm resistances and half-orcs don't have infravision unless you add them via mod. The BG2Fixpack does include a fix for this though, so if you install that on your BG2 install before TuTu conversion it ought to work.

SCS doesn't detect elven sleep/charm immunities, precisely because it's not in the original game. That's not some expression of purism - I just didn't realise some mod/fixpack adds it. I'll look into detecting it in future versions.

Archived