Falling in Love with IWD2

Domi

MMmmh, so you are saying that they each look different when I take a decent ranger? I seem to have to go there once again after all.

I think the idea was that you got different descriptions and hints once you made a wilderness lore query in each of them. It was actaully something I was going to look into, to see if I need to supplement it with more remarks from my Druid, Diriel (hey everyone needs his or her 15 minutes of fame!). It made perfect sense to me that a woodsman will read more into what others see as the same wood.

I agree completely. I simply misstook this section for: right, right, left, upper left, upper, left, dead guy, etc. If it does add live to anything I am all for it. Sometimes I think it might also be nice to enlist the help of NPCs for certain areas which makes perfect sense to get a local hunter to guide you through the forest if your party is not composed in a way that favours such a place, but then what am I doing in the wilderness anyway with my bard, two mages and two clerics. ::(

Guest Guest_Gimble_*

I'm also a big fan of IWD2, even with its shortcomings. I found the scripting engine nicer to work with, a more varied and interesting rule set with the 3E additions, and a wider variety of characters and spells because of the rule set.

Unfortunately, it also had a rather buggy engine, strange scripting limitations (many of which were and are undocumented), and a largely uncompelling story line. The story wasn't half-bad, but the frequency and severity of combat drowns out pretty much everything story-related to me.

Still, the game is very enjoyable to me. Little touches like enemies that actually USE their potions bring both an enjoyable and aggrevating edge at times. The AI could be better, but as it is I enjoy what's there.

Plus, a Bard with SF:Enchantment and a high charisma is a lot of fun to run around, charming/confusing everyone in sight. :blush:

Been meaning to weight in for a while, but been distracted. I think you are way above my head on scripting, but storyline thinggie is my soft spot. Basically, it is probably the most seductive idea ever to doctor IWD2 plot; more seductive than the ToB doctoring. Unfortunately it comes with a hefty price tag, because it ain't simply adding new stuff in, it's weaving it in, in a logical-like fashion. But mmgh... seductive.

Guest Jormungard

The IWD 1 and 2 plots were written with help from R.A. Salvatore, a highly regarded fantasy writer. He's famous for having "created" most of the North and for his beloved drow ranger, Drizzt Do'Urden.

Im not sure how much influence Salvatore had concerning the IWD plots, but it could explain why the plots are so well written. My guess is however, that his contribution was very small, and that the BIS guys did most of the job.

This mod is a great idea by the way:)

Guest Jormungard
This mod is a great idea by the way:)

Glad you think so. Sometimes I doubt it - usually when I look at another three dozen interjections I need to code in :p

I hope you never lose your inspiration!

I always assigned this feeling to the game being simply too challenging. To be honest, I enjoy it much more on the easiest setting :hm:

Hey, I cheated up a ton o those stat potions and gave myself 40 in each stat, gave my character 10 of each spell (20 of the best ones :) ) and got all the best equipment.

When HoF Sherican dies after 30 seconds with one character, it gets really easy.

And I wholeheartedly agree on the whole Andora incident. How much better it would be for good characters to say "I could go in and kill Sherical for you" after she kills what's-her-name (it's been awhile since I've played...)

To be honest with you, I frequently play every game on Normal or easier. If I want challenge, I'll take mods like SCS over mods that just up the damage. I want intelligent challenge, not just harder monsters. I know that IWD2 doesn't have SCS, but it doesn't need it. It's challenging enough.

I hope that the ability to start the game with the characters on higher level than PC will help to reduce the difficulty for people like me, who neither like spending hours on character creation and elevation and battle replays, nor like cheating all that much :) But I have to say that there are plenty of smart buggers in the IWD2 crowd of enemies....

Archived