Paired NPCs

WizWom

I think it might be cool if paired NPCs noticed when their partner was out of a party, and left the party to go find them.

something like:

IF
 !Dead("kahlid")
 !InParty("Khalid")
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
InitDialog()
END

IF ~!Dead("Khalid")
!InParty("Khalid")~
THEN BEGIN JahFindKhalid
~Khalid!  Where has Khalid gone!  I must find him immediately!~ DO ~LeaveParty()
EscapeArea()~
EXIT

To be honest I prefer this loophole to its alternative - ie the slaughter of the unwanted NPC. Call me sentimental. :p

Plus, it's too simplistic of a solution, too much out of player's hands, the code will potentially interfere with the kick-outs, you will be able to find the second NPC, but not the one who's left with EscapeArea(), you introduce a piece of code that always trigger a dialogue, and is not checked by a global. I dunno, I just don't see a trade off of any unforeseen problems vs slapping a player's fingers as worthwhile.

SCS now actually allows a split (and has tested compatible with the next version of BG1NPC's components that allow an NPC to wait at an inn, or to wait around for <CHARNAME> to get that extra experience/other NPC), so it looks like the community is actively moving in the opposite direction. The idea is sound, though; just not one that we can add here. Perhaps as a Tweak?

Certainly the philosophy of the SCS component was that unseparable pairs are a pain and that most people separate them by slaughtering one of them or abandoning them in a building somewhere. I wanted something more humane and more suited to realistic role-playing!

Sample dialogues:

JAHEIRA: You have returned. Perhaps you have discovered some of the wisdom that Gorion tried to impart upon you? Shall we rejoin for the good of all?

CHARNAME: I have need of you, Jaheira, but I would ask you to travel without Khalid, at least for now. The group should not be too large, and we have others who are needed still more.

KHALID: Travel w-without me? Jaheira, are you sure this is w-w-wise?

JAHEIRA: No, Khalid, it is *not* wise. But <CHARNAME> leads this group, and Gorion would wish us to help him. We will meet again soon.

MONTARON: I thought ye would eventually return this way. Need our services once again?

CHARNAME: YOUR services? Aye, that I do. But we have no place amongst us for that mad wizard.

XZAR: Mad? Mad, you say? I am no more mad than the bodies in the crypt. See them cavort beneath the earth. They are dancing.

MONTARON: You would maybe have a point. Let it be so, then - for now at least. Keep yerself well, wizard - we'll meet again soon enough, I've no doubt.

I'm not at all expert on BG1 NPCs but hopefully they're not too out-of-character...

Plus, it's too simplistic of a solution, too much out of player's hands, the code will potentially interfere with the kick-outs, you will be able to find the second NPC, but not the one who's left with EscapeArea(), you introduce a piece of code that always trigger a dialogue, and is not checked by a global.

I hardly thought it was ready to implement as it stood... I tossed that out as a concept to work from.

And, frankly, it should be paired with a "I must get him raised." dialog, where Jaheira will not stay without Khalid; Minsc will not stay without Dynaheir, Xzar - well, Xzar and montaron might not actually care if the other one dies. Eldoth/Skie are a pair, too, right? And they are in love, so would demand the other get raised, or leave to do it if their corpse is dropped.

The only exception would be perma-death, and even then, well, they might decide to go mourning. That's a bit of a touchier situation.

But callously dropping a partner's corpse would definately be a reason to leave the party.

While ressurection is a valid gaming option, the afterlife in Faerun is very tangible and real thing, unlike here, on planet Earth. The amount of options a character on Faerun gets in the afterlife is quite amazing, from going to his or her god's fold to Elven Arvanaith, to reincarnation, to the Wall of Faithless etc. Druidic believes for example are prohibitive of ressurection, as Druids are non-chalant about death, considering it a natural part of life (that's why they don't get the spells clerics do). Jaheira, for example, speaks against ressurection in BG2 both times the questions comes up - with Khalid and Sarevok.

So, just like splitting up the pairs each case can be argued both ways, to be honest. As in all arguable cases, I think BioWARE's solution to leave it at the player's discretion is probably the best. There are players who would not split pairs no matter what; there are those who'd kill one or both without a blink of an eye. There are people like you who want the pairs to be even more inseparable and more pronounced. Policing the player where BioWARE did not neither in BG1 nor in BG2 would be a bit to heavy-handed though.

All other arguments aside, though, the thing is that Cmorgan is wrapping up the final version of the mod. I don't mean to sound unaccomodating, but there are no plans to include any new content at that point. The mod was in development for good 4 years, and it's now done. But BG1NPC is not the only mod out there, and dealing with a particular aspect of the game (ie paired NPCs relationships) sounds like a good solid mod idea for a separate add-on. :p

Archived