Post ToB

theacefes

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up before but is it possible to add a cutscene/dialogue/banters *after* the end of the final battle in ToB? I'm just asking because I notice that there really is no official goodbyes between the party or anything of the sort before it goes straight to the end movies and the epilogues. Would it be a good idea for a post ToB area to be made that can be installed and you would be transferred to it after the final battle is over? If so, something like that could be installed as a mod and many NPCs and NPC mods could say their final goodbyes/declarations of love/whatever in it before they all part ways or do what they had planned out to do.

Yes? No? Stupid?

And the answer is: YES!!!

AR6200.BCS controls the final ending sequence, and displaying the endbios and actually ending the game and rolling the credits.

So, you want to put it in, you could either put it in the final block, or as an EXTEND_TOP and TRY to get in before any bios added by extension NPCs. Coordinating it cross-mod is going to be a bear, I think.

If Charname chooses to become a god, he could still partake in goodbyes, in the form of an Avatar, just like Cyric and Amaunator do earlier in the game.

As to NPCs... I'd only worry about the stock NPCs (and any you've written) initially. That would let you get things fleshed out and working. Then if the mod becomes popular you could worry about adding support for other NPCs.

Ha-ha, can't believe I've been lurking here for so long & finally come out of the woodwork for something NOT related to how screwed-up I made my last install-- but I just love this idea! That's the thing about these end-games, though-- just when you have the best reason for a nice celebration with your favorite game-world pals, you're flung back into the cold harsh world of reality.

Actually Black Isle / Interplay happen to be the makers of the only game I know that does not do this-- that great post-apocalyptic RPG, Fallout 2. You can choose to stay in the game world, & although there are no more quests, you can still hunt for random encounters & such, or clean up that last nest of nasties, & certain townspeople will even have comments on your saving the world. Then, when you've had enough, you can quit at a time of your own choosing-- so much more civilized than just being automatically booted out of the game.

I'm not sure if this is implementable or even desireable for ToB; this thread just made me think of that...

More on topic, though: my ideal goodbye situation would take place at the Copper Coronet, where many of the NPC's who had once been in your party are waiting to be collected again. How satisfying it would be to be able to let them know you've been victorious, & that their efforts on behalf of your cause have not been in vain! A few congratulatory lines from former companions would sure go down nice at this point, & I know would give ME a warm fuzzy feeling for the game as a whole-- heck, you could still reform the party even then, if only just for the big celebration...

But also, I think that in order to have true, official, closure to the game, you'd have to have at least one more meeting with the guy who's had an eye on your progress since the beginning-- I refer, of course, to Elminster. Nothing long-winded or too stuffy, heaven forfend-- just something to get his official seal of approval & a last mention of Gorion; for that acknowledgement of how much of a saga it's all been.

Gee, I'm getting all nostalgic already-- maybe Candlekeep IS the place, after all.

I always imagined at least Charname & Imoen going back there anyway, & with their fantastic wealth, dedicating a new wing in the library to the memory of Gorion...

Of course, those committed to a romance might have other ideas, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of The Big Goodbye With Everyone, but then following just Immy & Charname to Candlekeep for the very end. What d'ya think? I could see it being a very tasteful & classy way of closing the curtain on the whole epic.

Ha-ha, can't believe I've been lurking here for so long & finally come out of the woodwork for something NOT related to how screwed-up I made my last install-- but I just love this idea! That's the thing about these end-games, though-- just when you have the best reason for a nice celebration with your favorite game-world pals, you're flung back into the cold harsh world of reality.

Actually Black Isle / Interplay happen to be the makers of the only game I know that does not do this-- that great post-apocalyptic RPG, Fallout 2. You can choose to stay in the game world, & although there are no more quests, you can still hunt for random encounters & such, or clean up that last nest of nasties, & certain townspeople will even have comments on your saving the world. Then, when you've had enough, you can quit at a time of your own choosing-- so much more civilized than just being automatically booted out of the game.

I'm not sure if this is implementable or even desireable for ToB; this thread just made me think of that...

More on topic, though: my ideal goodbye situation would take place at the Copper Coronet, where many of the NPC's who had once been in your party are waiting to be collected again. How satisfying it would be to be able to let them know you've been victorious, & that their efforts on behalf of your cause have not been in vain! A few congratulatory lines from former companions would sure go down nice at this point, & I know would give ME a warm fuzzy feeling for the game as a whole-- heck, you could still reform the party even then, if only just for the big celebration...

But also, I think that in order to have true, official, closure to the game, you'd have to have at least one more meeting with the guy who's had an eye on your progress since the beginning-- I refer, of course, to Elminster. Nothing long-winded or too stuffy, heaven forfend-- just something to get his official seal of approval & a last mention of Gorion; for that acknowledgement of how much of a saga it's all been.

Gee, I'm getting all nostalgic already-- maybe Candlekeep IS the place, after all.

I always imagined at least Charname & Imoen going back there anyway, & with their fantastic wealth, dedicating a new wing in the library to the memory of Gorion...

Of course, those committed to a romance might have other ideas, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of The Big Goodbye With Everyone, but then following just Immy & Charname to Candlekeep for the very end. What d'ya think? I could see it being a very tasteful & classy way of closing the curtain on the whole epic.

I really like that idea too.. and it can even work the love interest in too. They could come along and add their two cents.

After all... Charname just gave up godhood for em, and after all they've been through.. I don't see Jaheira/Viconia/Aerie/Anomen NOT going with them in this kind of trip. :mad:

Archived