Drow Challenges in Ust Natha

Kulyok

In Ust Natha Tavern, after Lasoanar(sp?) challenge - the guy who beats four drow and has a +3 flaming bastard sword, then gives the sword up if beaten, his woman challenges the PC. However, after PC accepts the challenge and talks to the duel coordinator, the coordinator says:

"Do not disturb me. Watch the battle."

That is, it is impossible to proceed with the challenges.

(I've a suspicion that is because after Lasoanar(sp?) is defeated, he does not disappear right away, so the coordinator keeps "thinking" that the challenge is not over. But whatever.)

I must mention that it never happened to me before in unmodded game.

Installed: Patch, BG2FixpackBeta3, BanterPack, FlirtPack, Kivan, Xan, BG2Tweaks.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. In my case it turned out to be ' Force All Dialogue to Pause' from BG2 Tweaks causing it - it was stopping a certain variable from being (re)set. Are you using that component?

I had this problem as well the last time I played, and yes I had that component of the Tweaks mod installed.

That's because in complete pause mode variables and a few other things will only be set in the final action of a dialog, and only if new actions at the end of the dialog don't push them out of the action queue. So some dialogs would have to be recoded in order to work properly with pause mode (moving all pertinant actions to the last state of a particular dialog thread).

This is why I won't use/implement a pause-all-dialogs tweak in my game, but instead I do it on a case by case basis.

I recall having had that same problem, and I still have that component installed (from the previous version, though).

But the game I just played did not have that trouble. I do recall going through to find out which variable it was that hadn't been reset, and then usuing the console to correct that.

I do recall going through to find out which variable it was that hadn't been reset, and then usuing the console to correct that.

Yeah, fixed it the same way myself. Since it was such an easy fix I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Will be interesting to see if the current version of Tweaks also causes this. (I'm at least a month away from Ust Natha in my current game though)

Smoketest: Are you aware of any other dialogues where 'complete pause mode' will cause problems like this?

The variable that isn't being reset is called something like 'DuelOn'' - IIRC it should be reset to 0 by the dialogue but isn't due to the tweak. I'm sorry but the exact details elude my memory. :) I do remember that what I did back then was look at the conditions for the next duel to initiate (in the duel master's dialogue file), and then compare that with the current variables of the saved game to find out where the glitch was. There's no BG II on the machine I'm at, so I can't verify at the moment.

Stumbled upon this problem in my game recently.

Solved it by changing one block in UDLESA.BCS:

IF
 !CombatCounter(0)
 Global("DuelOn","AR2202",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("DuelOn","AR2202",1)
Continue()
END

to

IF
 !CombatCounter(0)
 Global("PlayerDuelingLesaonar","GLOBAL",0)
 Global("DuelOn","AR2202",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("DuelOn","AR2202",1)
Continue()
END

Archived