Gavin's progress

berelinde

I have an alternate already by Kael'oree, and it's very nice. But I want more! I want to be able to offer several choices. If I can find a fourth, I will use a fourth, because that seems like a good number to me. Man, I had better get a grip, because I'm starting to really sound demented, even to myself.
Your wish is my command. Here is my contribution to the alternate portraits (and my tribute to Don Knotts) - Barney Fife as Gavin!

bfife01l.jpg bfife01s.gif

Heh heh. Ok, ok, you probably aren't amused, but maybe your boyfriend will be. :rant: Never mind, I'll find a use for it elsewhere (there are any number of 'incompetent henchmen' that might suffice).

What do you think of this one? It's a retouch of Hans Memling's "Portrait of a Man" (c. 1470 - we don't know who the man was):

mcler01l.jpg mcler01s.gif

The artist has quite a few portraits of humble, clerical types, but this is one of the better ones IMO.

If you hadn't included the second portrait, I'd have offered to lynch you!

But the second makes up for it. Too bad he's in black. Yes, I know it's a clerical color, but clerics of Lathander are prone to wearing yellow or pink (I'm not making this up).

Anyway, please if I download those portraits, they're just going to be grainy and nasty. Would you mind emailing them to the usual place? Just the second set. You can keep Don Knotts. :rant:

Thanks!

Too bad he's in black. Yes, I know it's a clerical color, but clerics of Lathander are prone to wearing yellow or pink (I'm not making this up).
Pink? Seriously? It wouldn't be tough to change the colour of his garb, just let me know which shade you want (the hard part will be making sure any wrinkles and shadows look realistic). Is he supposed to be wearing armour too?
Anyway, please if I download those portraits, they're just going to be grainy and nasty.
I linked the original BMPs in with the inline images (just click on them instead of right-clicking to download :rant:).

Turns out that's the least of my problems. I'm getting consistently corrupted CREs on installation, and no explanation for it. Perplexing.

I might try reinstalling and seeing what that does. The CREs in the mod folder are fine, but they're a mess in the override. And there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in the tp2. Go fig.

Edit: seriously, clerics of Lathander wear sunrise colors, like pink and yellow. I wouldn't make this up. What the heck. Lathander had a lot of female company. If he didn't think pink was too effeminate for him, who are we to argue?

I'm getting consistently corrupted CREs on installation, and no explanation for it... The CREs in the mod folder are fine, but they're a mess in the override.
Didn't you have that problem before? And figured out the solution (though I forget what that was)? At first, I thought you copied a saved game from a modded install to a non-modded one, but I think it turned out that wasn't the case.
Edit: seriously, clerics of Lathander wear sunrise colors, like pink and yellow. I wouldn't make this up. What the heck. Lathander had a lot of female company. If he didn't think pink was too effeminate for him, who are we to argue?
Ok, so maybe something like #FF9966 on the HTML colour chart? This is a hybrid sunrise pinkish-yellow type of deal that might work. And what about the armour? Looks like he's wearing leather in your other portrait. Pink leather might've been too much for the dyers back then to manage, but maybe a dusky yellow or tan. You could of course, leave armour out of the portrait, based on the assumption the PC can outfit him with anything from nothing up to plate (isn't the ankheg plate pink by the way, at least when you wear it?).

As an afterthought, I guess I could actually look at your CRE and see which major/minor colours you gave him but that would involve, well, looking at the CRE. :rant:

I'm kind of happy with the palette he has, thanks. Got good glowing red and yellow.

Least of my problems, though.

Haven't heard about anybody else's install being crazy, and there have been over 200 downloads, which is terrifying, if there is a problem.

Still, you'd think somebody would have reported a problem.

I think I'll try a reinstallation of the mod, even though I know this is going to mess up Imoen's banter file (as discussed in another thread, reinstallation of mods - any mod- seems to do that).

I'm kind of happy with the palette he has, thanks.
I was asking what his palette *was*. Had to go and look it up... :rant:

gavatar.gif

Anyhow, here is take-two that matches his avatar more closely. I also lightened his hair a bit and gave him more of it to make him look more in his late 20s.

mcler02l.jpg mcler02s.gif

I tried to make the garb look as if it could be anything from plain clothing to leather to ankheg plate (well, maybe).

Come to think of it, my own character Tervadh wears a dark pink and yellow, though he also has a silly-looking white jester collar (he's a fighter-thief... he'd be a jester if they got more thief skills).

bard2.jpg

Haven't heard about anybody else's install being crazy, and there have been over 50 downloads.
Did you try reinstalling it on a clean/unmodded Tutu? I would test install it, but I'm not in a position to hose my Tutu install if it *is* a problem with Gavin (though it doesn't sound like it).

That portrait is wonderful! I absolutely love it! I'm going to download it now and see what I can do about trying a reinstallation.

If you're looking at the inventory screen, did you actually install it, or did you just assign those colors to another character?

Because if you did install it, and are looking at *Gavin's* inventory page, I know at least your installation worked.

If you're looking at the inventory screen, did you actually install it, or did you just assign those colors to another character?
No, I exported the CRE to a CHR in DLTCEP and imported him in Tutu. It didn't actually work if I wanted to make a playable PC out of him, but it worked good enough for me to see his palette. :rant:

If you don't have any luck with the reinstall, let me know. I can dust off the old laptop and try installing it there (though the thing is practically falling apart).

Damn. I already know there's nothing wrong with the CRE in the mod folder. It's something horrible that happened in my install (and it seems like only my install). Something isn't playing nice.

I'm about halfway through a reinstallation, and I'll post a report.

No joy. Everything is still scrambling, but now everything is in different spots than previously.

Something is definitely going on, because if it's a problem with the CRE or the tp2, everything should be messed up in the same way.

Has anybody else seen this ever?

I'm going to do a bare installation tonight when I get home from work.

Guest wolfsong

Berelinde,

I've been playing BG1 and 2 for some time, they have been my favorite RPGs. Hadn't played BG1 for some time, and was thrilled by the NPC Project, which greatly renewed my interest in BG1. Saw your mod and was so intrigued, I downloaded it immediately. Began playing with version .07 and had been truly enjoying the experience with the mod. The NPC Project and Gavin have made playing BG1 a newly enjoyable experience again. Uninstalled Gavin .07 to install the updated version .08 and was unable to level him up, as it crashes the game for me. Did an install from a clean version of tutu and had the same problem. Perhaps it's operator error, but was wondering if you had any other occurrences like this. Followed the install order suggested on the G3 site. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing the results of your imagination with us through this mod, wonderful job.

Regards,

Wolfsong

Archived