A Few Comments

Tameon the Dragoon

I just beat BGTuTu for the first time with the BG1 NPC Project installed, and I have to say, it was alot of fun. I never realized how incredible the plot for BG1 was; I always figured the whole "lets ruin the iron suppy, that will really annoy them!" thing was kind of... nonthreatening. But wow, was I wrong! However, there were a few things that kind of bugged me a bit.

As I was going along my journey, I noticed two banters repeated themselves; one being the banter between Khalid and Kivan about the song and riverie, and the other being the banter between Viconia and Xan about why he is so depressed. It was somewhat jarring, especially in the case of the latter banter; I had just found Sarevok's mentor lying on the ground and was all pumped to go chase down my half-brother, and then all of a sudden Viconia and Xan repeat the same conversation they had around two chapters back. Something else that really bothered me- though it may have been due to my party- was that absolutely no one said anything about Gorion's Letter and the discovery of CHARNAME's heritage. No NPC interjections (I would have thought Imoen would say something, at the very least), no fanfare... nothing. I was rather depressed! Later on, Viconia mentioned something along the lines of how one of Sarevok's lackeys "allied with the wrong Bhaalspawn", but other than that my crew never mentioned it at all. And on a lesser note, there seemed to be times when the fact that Jaheira and Khalid were Harpers was a secret, and other times when it wasn't; in a banter between Imoen and Khalid they spoke of what the Harpers were like or something, and in another banter between Jaheira and Khalid they seemed to dance around the subject of Harpers as though it were something CHARNAME shouldn't hear.

Nonetheless, it was alot of fun. The NPC Project really turned this into a whole new game! I especially enjoyed having Xan around; his comment about the "Gibberlings Three" still makes me chuckle.

cool stuff - thanks for posting about the glitches. These folks did great work!

I will check the banters, as I believe that they are supposed to fire once and only once;

if you were in several of the romances there definitely should have been some bhaalspawn talks. Could you post your full party present when you find Gorion's letter so I can search to see if there are some interjections that are not fitting? Domi changed the letter into a .cre so that it could so all sorts of interesting stuff, and I want to make sure it is doing it!

The Harper thing is definitely different for different NPC authors; as the project unfolded, it looks like different people thought that the banters were "asides" the PC wouldn't hear, and other times actively assumed others could hear - either that, or there was no solid agreement about Harpers=SuprSekretSociety. That one I am not sure we can do much about.

My party during the Gorion's Letter thing in Candlekeep was myself, Minsc, Yeslick, Imoen, Viconia and Xan. No romances- I wanted to romance Branwen, but forgot about the Strength requirement-, and that might be why I didn't get any interjections.

I was hesitant to ask about this, as I'm not sure it was caused by the BG1 NPC Project, but I may as well go ahead and ask; is there any bug that will cause Viconia to leave the group suddenly? Whether we were just chillin', in active combat or rummaging through the inventory screen, she would suddenly decide that she should leave the group. Something about it being a "welcome release", which I'm assuming is what she says if you choose to kick her out of the group. For a time my Reputation was 18, but I even went as far as to use Shadow Keeper to bring it down to 16 and it didn't help. I was using EasyTuTu, though, and that may be what the problem was.

Well, I think some were supposed to play, but I keep putting off my big playthrough to get *just ONE more bugfix....* :) I will take a look.

Viconia walking away is the reputation thing. Unless you play with a "Happy Patch" which sets the HAPPY.2da values, you can't do much about this, I am afraid, except randomly do bad things to keep your reputation low.

The most (in-)famous of these is if you are playing BGT (and sometimes EasyTutu) with no Happy patch, and Jaheira as Neutral (unmodified; I always change her to NG so have not run into this particular "feature" except on other people's confirmation saves). What happens is you get reputation gains/drops over the course of Jaheira's Quest. Each time Reputation changes in game, the engine does its magic crossreferencing rep and happy.2da. If you are a LG/NG/CG party with a high rep, Jaheira is barely tolerating staying in the party, and as you do exactly what she wants to do in the quest, your reputation goes up, until you are just about to finish the quest....

when she finally does the rep/happy check and comes up with BreakingPoint(), ditching the party and leaving the quest behind unsolvable!

This is unanticipated conflict between two goals of the project: a. keep canon BG1 behavior, including party members acting true to their alignment, and b. giving reputation rewards rather than lots of extra gold/item/experience rewards so as to not cheese the player! We haven't figured a good way out of this particular bind.

The short answer for fixing this is pretty straightforward. Chev had a game saved where he tried to salvage Jaheira with SK, and failed. He restarted the save, immediately killed an innocent bystander, and Jaheira became a happy camper. Go figure :)!

BTW: none of the NPCs in that particular party have interjections for Gorion's letter.

Using SK on anything BG1 NPC project-related is probably going to be futile. Usually, there are several different variables controlling events, so you're bound to miss a few.

But you should be able to change your rep. Go fig.

BTW: none of the NPCs in that particular party have interjections for Gorion's letter.

Using SK on anything BG1 NPC project-related is probably going to be futile. Usually, there are several different variables controlling events, so you're bound to miss a few.

But you should be able to change your rep. Go fig.

I changed my rep to 16 and that didn't help. I assumed that was low enough.

It is rather dissapointing Imoen has no reaction to the letter, though I'm glad I was able to get an answer.

The change in rep has to happen through in-game action; I don't know, but I guess it is the actual cross referencing that sets up whether Viconia fires off her "I'm Outta Here, bonehead" dialogue. Once it is enabled, it can interfere with further interjections from Viconia, too, so I am researching how to safely deal with this behavior.

And Jinnai, sounds like we have our first request for added content for an Imoen mod for Tutu :)

Archived