Bug reports

berelinde

First I want to say great work on the mod! I think Gavin will finally help me complete BG1 (yes, it's true, I've never finished the game-but I found BGII first!)

The only other mod I have installed for BGT is BG1 NPC project.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I messed up...

I see Ajantis at the farm, and decide to dump Viconia (I just had Xzar and Monteran cost me 5 reputation points! darn evil characters!.... okay, and I was hoping for a little rivalry between Ajantis and Gavin I admit it!) :(

As soon as I swap Viconia for Ajantis (SPOILER!)

Ajantis says,"Gavin I see you and <CHARNAME> share a deeper relationship than just traveling companions"

Gavin replies "call it love, we do"

They continue, and Gavin replies that <CHARNAME> knows about his daughter

etc.

Gavin and I had only one discussion on philosophy, and he mentioned something like I was beautiful in the morning.

Granted, I did speed up the relationship from 1 hour to 45 minutes, but we have NOT discussed being in love, or his having a daughter!

Gak! I spoiled it for myself! He has a daugheter?! We're in love?!

So, I'm not sure if this is something I did (I'm the only one to post to this bug thread after all, so it could be me!) Everything else seems to work great, and I'm pretty sure the Ajantis romance and Gavin were both at 1 (I can check shadowkeeper again)

This is a great mod (made all the better because I wasn't expecting it!) and I'm going back to play it right now)

Thanks for all your hard work ???

No, that's definitely a Gavin bug. Ajantis was actually supposed to say something else, and that's just what came up.

If you haven't gotten to the part where he makes a big announcement, you definitely haven't gotten to the point where Ajantis is going to say anything at all.

The good news is that the problem (and the solution) is obvious. Dummy (that would be me) "fixed" something, but made a careless mistake and changed a 1 to a 0 instead of a 2. The bad news is that you're going to miss that particular bit of dialogue when the time does come for it.

Because BG1 NPC Project has some difficulties with Imoen's banter file breaking if mods are uninstalled/reinstalled afterward, I will make up a patch for this instead of recommending a reinstallation. I'm not going to be able to get this sorted out for another 18 hours or so, but I'll put up a patch when I get home from work tomorrow.

If you know how to use the CLUA console, please type in:

CLUAConsole("B!GavinAjantis5","GLOBAL",3)

If you're wondering what Ajantis was *supposed* to say, he was probably making a comment that your reputation on joining was not up to his standards.

What was your reputation, anyway? If it was under 11, he will be unavailable as a romance interest.

Just to be safe, you may want to initiate PID with Ajantis a couple of times to make sure he's got his normal PID menu.

Thanks for your help!

I typed the command you suggested in the console, and Ajantis did remark on my reputation. It then proceeded as normal (getting the NPC to confide in <charname>

My rep was at 11 (I went back to an earlier save and dumped Xzar and Montaron before they could go on their killing spree)

I'm sad that I will no longer be surprised about certain aspects of the relationship, but is there really any doubt that all men who travel with me will fall madly in love with me...er.. I mean <charname> ???

I apologize that that bug gave you such a rude surprise, but your conscientious and kindly-worded reporting may have spared other users from going trough the same thing.

At this point, I must concede that Gavin will need another revision, but there have been a few typos, and a couple suggestions for some additional material, as well, so it will be more than just a bug-fix.

Thanks for the status update!

Guest Tiggsie

Happily romancing Gavin, but ran into a bug. The temple messenger came up to us in Nashkel and said that Gavin's presence was requested in the temple. The dialogue mentioned this was the third time it happened, although I'm pretty sure I never had him show up a "first time". The messenger did seek us out once before, but then the dialogue mentioned it being the "second time". However, the real problem is that when I arrive at the temple and speak to Kheldath, I only get the regular dialogue - nothing about a new quest for Gavin. 'elp?

Darned quest spawns...

I'm thinking that I'd better switch to creating the creature at an offset rather than offscreen, because it's possible that if both parties are moving, they will miss you! Or perhaps I need to use a more obvious animation, like a nobleman dressed in glowing yellow or something.

If you are comfortable using the CLUA console, would you mind getting the values of several variables for me?

They can be obtained by opening the CLUA console and typing in the following 6 inquiries and making note of the values returned?

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!Messenger1","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!GavinBassilusQuest","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!Messenger2","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!GavinMutaminQuest","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!Messenger3","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("B!GavinBodyThiefQuest","GLOBAL")

If it's easier, you could also find out these variables using ShadowKeeper.

The first quest was Bassilus. If you killed him, that would complete the first quest. If you killed him before the messenger arrived, that would have explained why you never saw him.

The second quest was Mutamin. Same deal.

The third quest is unique to the mod.

Guest Tiggsie
The first quest was Bassilus. If you killed him, that would complete the first quest. If you killed him before the messenger arrived, that would have explained why you never saw him.

Yep, I did kill Bassilus before the messenger arrived and I figured that was the first quest - that's why I didn't post a bug report on that.

The variables are as follows:

B!GavinBassilusQuest - 5

B!GavinMutaminQuest - 5

B!GavinBodyThiefQuest - 3

B!Messenger1/2/3 don't exist - there are however (according to ShadowKeeper) variables B!GavinMessenger2 and B!GavinMessenger3, both set to 2.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm quite liking Gavin so far and want to see as much of him as possible (every pun intended :p).

The good news is that it isn't really a bug, since everybody is behaving as they should, but it is a failure to take all possible courses of action into account.

You did get your messengers. You have the correct messenger variables. And your quests are showing that they are done, because you have gotten all three. What you didn't do was show up for the reward after killing Mutamin but before getting the next messenger. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I see now that I'm going to have to make provisions for the party fulfilling the quests, but either completing them without being told to do so or not returning to collect their rewards.

In other words, I had planned on the party seeing the messenger, talking to Ormlyr, doing the quest, and then returning to Ormlyr, repeating as necessary. I figured that there was a good chance the party would kill Bassilus and Mutamin prior to receiving instruction to do so, so I'm advancing those particular quests and moving on to the next one in case they are killed before seeing the messenger. Your report is encouraging, because it is clear that, at least, works as intended.

I think I'll just avoid the problem by having Ormlyr give the next quest at the same time the party gets the reward, and only bother with the messenger if the party never does show up for the reward.

You can get your third quest by entering the following into the console and then talking to Ormlyr again. If this doesn't work, let me know, but it really should.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MutaminDead","GLOBAL",2)

By the way, I understand the need to kill Bassilius, but what's wrong with Mutamin? He is just experiencing with his slimes away from the human settlements - not kidnapping dryads or whatnot. My party sometimes kills him, sometimes just leaves him to his experiments.

Guest Tiggsie
You did get your messengers. You have the correct messenger variables. And your quests are showing that they are done, because you have gotten all three. What you didn't do was show up for the reward after killing Mutamin but before getting the next messenger. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm pretty sure I did get rewarded for the Mutamin quest, actually.

You can get your third quest by entering the following into the console and then talking to Ormlyr again. If this doesn't work, let me know, but it really should.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MutaminDead","GLOBAL",2)

Unfortunately this didn't make a difference, since in my saved game (after the third messenger showed up but before speaking to Ormlyr) the variable MutaminDead is already set to 2.

Hmmm. As long as you haven't killed the villain, then this should fire.

/* Body Thief Quest */

I_C_T ~KELDDA~ 0 BGavinKeldathBodyThief

== ~_KELDDA~ IF ~!Dead("B!VALER") InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) Global("B!GavinMessenger3","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("B!GavinBodyThiefQuest","GLOBAL",1) Global("MutaminDead","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN ~Gavin, the third time pays for all. I must ask you to perform a very important service for the temple. Before we see to the needs of your companions, I must tell you of a mysterious evil that preys upon the people of Beregost. Information is scarce. People are going missing, simply disappearing, and neither I nor any other of the town elders have any explanation for it. The missing people have little in common, as they come from all ranks of society, but they were all last seen at the Burning Wizard. If you are to continue to serve this temple, Gavin, I beg you to look into these disappearances. The Burning Wizard might be a good place to start looking. The reward for solving the mystery would be quite substantial.~

Did you already encounter a necromancer holed up with a priest and a rude manservant in a house in Beregost? Valeria's death is the only thing that would prevent this block from firing.

If this is true, Gavin's quests are done, I'm going to have to make provision for this possibility, and I'm afraid you're going to have to close Gavin's quest variable manually. You can just type in:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("B!GavinBodyThiefQuest","GLOBAL",5)

Oh, sorry, yep, mixed the basilisk guy with the slime guy.

EDIT: By the way, I think the temple could give Gavin a scroll or protection against petrification, or a scroll of stone to flesh, if the Dawnmaster doesn't already - it would make sense and be useful.

Did you already encounter a necromancer holed up with a priest and a rude manservant in a house in Beregost? Valeria's death is the only thing that would prevent this block from firing.

No, I didn't.

I started playing with alpha version0.8, then I uninstalled that and installed beta 1 instead. I don't know if that might have messed things up...? Seems like I'll just have to skip this quest. Ah well...

Archived