Baldur's Gate 3 is alive!

Sorrow

I don't like the idea of a real Baldur's Gate 3 (i.e. post-ToB adventures of <CHARNAME>). ToB was too overpowered itself...

i dont really see what you could do to continue the series, you either assumed godhood or didnt. you could get a third game if you didnt assume godhood, but you would be to powerful. you are what lvl 40 or something like that.

so it would have to be years after the battle with Melissan. so it might be and i know this is rather lacking, the child of <charname>.

a sequel to TOB? i cant really see how the story would work. a prequel kinda makes more sense. a game set during the time of Balduran, or something like that.

i dont really see what you could do to continue the series, you either assumed godhood or didnt. you could get a third game if you didnt assume godhood, but you would be to powerful. you are what lvl 40 or something like that.

so it would have to be years after the battle with Melissan. so it might be and i know this is rather lacking, the child of <charname>.

I completely agree with what Elfen Lied points out here.

There can't be a sequel! ToB had a huge "THE END" attached to it. I mean, look at it this way: godhod or not, there's a sense of closure. You know what happens to your companions, and the thing's well... finished!

I honestly don't see how there can be a sequel without it being a complete disaster. It's like all those movie franchises, when they just don't know when to stop.

I, for one, don't want to see a BG3, unless you've all seen it before me, and are telling me it's absolutely awesome, and that I'm being silly and should try it out. ;)

Although, of course, I'm not saying that Josh Sawyer's work is worthless, far from it! I'm just saying that I'm very uncomfortable with the whole "sequel" thing.

Uh... if anyone actually checked the page, you would see that this is not a sequel to BG2.

It just uses the title 'Baldur's Gate', since at the time of development of The Black Hound, they were not allowed to develop titles that didn't have that. ;)

So it is not a sequel - it's a spirital baby. ;P

If you read the interview linked to above, you'll see the storyline of Baldur's Gate 3 was going to have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Bhaalspawn saga. They were forced to use the name "Baldur's Gate" due to licensing issues.

If you read the interview linked to above, you'll see the storyline of Baldur's Gate 3 was going to have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Bhaalspawn saga. They were forced to use the name "Baldur's Gate" due to licensing issues.

I'm guessing I didn't make myself clear. ;) I was speaking of this whole "drift issue" of the BG sequel to the saga, not of the NWN mod by Josh Sawyer.

So, put more simply, here's what I meant:

A) I'm not really enthusiastic about a BG sequel (or prequel for that matter).

B) I'll probably take a look at Josh Sawyer's "BG3: the Black Hound" mod when it's out (the art looks awesome), but I guess that I have to finish NWN first... :D;)

If you read the interview, you'll see it isn't just about the mod, it also concerns the actual BG3 game that was in development. The first Q&A in particular:

GB: It is largely believed that "Jefferson" and "FR6" were codenames used by Black Isle Studios to represent Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound. Now that BIS is no longer in existence, are you able to confirm that BG3 was officially in development and that "The Black Hound" was going to be its subtitle?

Josh: The Black Hound was its working title when we stopped, with the "BG3" added on at the front because Interplay could only make PC D&D games with the names Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale in the title. It actually had nothing to do with the Baldur's Gate series.

The mod itself will simply be called "The Black Hound", since using "Baldur's Gate" in the name is no longer a legal requirement.

So it is not a sequel - it's a spirital baby. ;P

And that's what is the most important thing in this thread ;) . I'd like to play a spiritual baby of Baldur's Gate series. Especially, that cRPG genre degenerates every year.

I completely agree with what Elfen Lied points out here.

There can't be a sequel! ToB had a huge "THE END" attached to it. I mean, look at it this way: godhod or not, there's a sense of closure. You know what happens to your companions, and the thing's well... finished!

I honestly don't see how there can be a sequel without it being a complete disaster. It's like all those movie franchises, when they just don't know when to stop.

thank you, but i was just stating my oppinion.

yeh some movie sequels shouldnt have been made, the rather ruined a good series, oftne they are just an excuse to make money.

i think they have taken the story of <charname> about as far it can go, he or she becomes a god, or not. so for a sequel to have a realistic reason for starting again at lvl 1 (or maybe a little higher, like say lvl7) it would have to be virtually an entirely different character, and that wouldnt really make it much of a continuation of the series, unless i t was like i said earlier and the character in BG3, is the child of <charname> but that storyline is rather lacking i feel.

thus a more likely alternative would be a prequel, something set prior to BGI, but that also seems rather lacking, but if it existed i would give it ago, see if it measures up to our expectations of what another game in the series sound be

but even more likely i feel is no BG3, and prehaps another Dark Alliance game or another type of spin off

but to get back of topic slightly, this mod sounds cool, i might have to try it at some point, to see what its like.

Archived