If you had to chose between BG2 romantic evils....

Domi

So, what would you chose?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, that's what I meant, thinking having a real example would actually help, but I see it only confuses because everyone starts thinking about their personal preferences as opposite to the general principle.

Only it's more of Multiple Linear or Just One Complex?

Oh, well. Time well wasted.

I think the issue here is 'what is complex' (which you recently just defined, so, um, all good)!

I mean, personally? If they gave me choices between Anomen and Valygar, I would have been just as annoyed- two goody-goody brooders on a vengence kick (yes, I know there's more to them then that- and I like both Anomen and Valygar- but that would have been my first thought). I would rather Haer'Delis, and, hell, Jan. Everyone has different tastes. (I would have liked the romance options to have been Aerie or Nalia, Viconia, Valygar and either Haer or Edwin or Yoshimo, despite finding Jaheria by far the best written romance.) My closest BGII-playing friend is still bitterly disappointed that she couldn't romance Cernd.

So, as I'm going off topic- if the choice was Valygar and Anomen, I'd rather the complex Anomen with the CN path for my more non-lawful/good characters (Valy and Haer, it would take more thought, but I'd decide the same). And I would hate to have a romance option who just stands around while I do things totally against his morals- so yes, leaving in a huff or attacking when I slaughter babies is important. And I do like quests- Jan's quest is the only thing that makes me like him, and it's what made Anomen bearable to me then if he had been that LN you-know-what the full game. ...So, for me, I'd take the more complex option over two not-so-complex options. I doubt anyone but myself could ever make a romancable NPC who’s absolutely perfect for my tastes, so I’d rather they just spend a lot of time developing one NPC, whether I like him or hate him, then looking to satisfy everyone.

...Wow, took me a while to say something simple. /sigh

I'm not fussed so much about the depth, although honestly I would like to have my cake and eat it too, I want choice. I voted for having all three. (Gee that sounds sus...ah... not all at once, I mean ;) )

I'm still ticked off that there were 3 romance options for the male pc and only 1 for the female pc. I see it as being ingrained in the game development culture. I also don't see it changing anytime soon. (I've been jumping up and down on the Mass Effect forums just to be able to see a confirmed screen of a female pc.)

Imo, Gaider seems to get somewhat tetchy about the subject of romances and I think that perhaps there is a bit of rationalization going on. One day I'd like to see a developer talk about how they sacrificed the quality of the graphics in order to bring a deeper story to a game.

Personally, given the amount of negative publicity Bioware got about "only ANOMEN?!" and "gods, Jaheira, it's SOOOO buggy", and my own opinion, I think that complex romances are mostly a waste of time. Especially since to me, a notion that my PC, however charismatic she might be, might change and reform her lover completely is, frankly, not realistic. Coran will stay Coran, Anomen will retain his faults, Xan will continue whining, Gavin will not start hating kids all of a sudden etc.

So, again, for me it is about linear progression all the way(whether single or multiple romances, I don't really care) and perhaps an opportunity for a player to take some player-initiated steps, so she doesn't feel she is entirely left out of the picture.

I find it kind of spooky, myself.

Kulki are supposed to be spooky, so I am quite happy about it, thank you. ;)

Archived