Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

A long sword?! But aren't there already enough of those, and not very many bastard swords?
The problem with bastard swords mainly regards their location, the first good one is either The Bleeder or the Blade of Searing, both located in the Underdark. When you reach Foebane it won't matter anymore, as it is an exceptional one. I've changed Daystar into a bastard sword (though with SCS installed you'll likely get it in chapter 6) and I'm going to add Albruin (recently updated again) and another one in the early chapters of SoA.

Anyway I'm not sure about making The Purifier a long sword, as most other things it depends on players feedback...if you prefer it as a bastard sword I'll leave it as it is.

That was me, forgetting to log in.

I can only speak from a personal point of view, but I do favour it remaining a bastard sword. Also, I do believe that jastey is giving her BG2 Ajantis the bastard sword proficiency, so I suppose the Purifier is a natural choice for him.

While I think if it, since there's only one Eye of Tyr in the game, in your opinion is it better to use this with Carsomyr or the Purifier, in the event that your party will be using both weapons?

I can only speak from a personal point of view, but I do favour it remaining a bastard sword. Also, I do believe that jastey is giving her BG2 Ajantis the bastard sword proficiency, so I suppose the Purifier is a natural choice for him.
I had an exam yesterday which drained my creativity, and I probably should think twice before posting an idea of mine. :( On second thought I've just noticed there already are The Equalizer, Angurvadal and The Answerer in the very-high enchantment level long sword's department...it's just that vanilla's ones didn't stand a chance against weapons like Foebane. Ajantis is probably one more good reason to leave The Purifier as a bastard sword.

My first thoughts regarding the Purifier are the following, but don't take them for definitive:

Purifier +4 ---> moved to page 9

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Resistance: +10% bonus

Combat Abilities:

Dispel: removes all magical effects upon the target (save vs. spell neg.)

Holy: deals additional damage against creatures of evil alignment

THAC0: +4 bonus

Damage: 1D10 + 4, +6 vs. evil creatures

Purifier +5 ---> moved to page 9

Special Abilities:

Draw Upon Holy Might (twice per day)

Greater Restoration (once per day)

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Resistance: +15% bonus

Combat Abilities:

Dispel: removes all magical effects upon the target (save vs. spell neg.)

Holy: deals additional damage against creatures of evil alignment

THAC0: +5 bonus

Damage: 1D10 + 5, +6 vs. evil creatures

I've halved the magic resistance values of both swords, changed the damage bonus from "vs. chaotic evil" to "vs. evil", replaced Dispel Magic with Draw Upon Holy Might and Mass Cure with Greater Restoration (which seems appropriate to a purifier). Finally I've thought about adding dispel effect on hit, but I'm unsure because it's a really powerful effect (though a allowing a save should make it much less powerful than vanilla's Carsomyr version).

While I think if it, since there's only one Eye of Tyr in the game, in your opinion is it better to use this with Carsomyr or the Purifier, in the event that your party will be using both weapons?
I really don't know, and it also depends on how the definitive Purifier will look like.

In the meanwhile I've slightly changed Foebane +4 incarnation. I've swapped holy effect with vampiric one; it makes the +4 version slightly more powerful and mostly it makes much more sense storywise:

"The Archmage Demron crafted this magical bastard sword for the Elven hero Fflar, Captain of Myth Drannor. The most powerful of six such enchanted blades Demron fashioned, Foebane can drain the very essence of life from its opponents with every blow, and bestow that life energy on the wielder. There are those who believe soul stealing capability has cursed the blade, for though fashioned as a weapon of right and justice, Foebane's dark history is one of murder and death.

Demron's own blood christened the blade, as a would be thief used the newly fashioned sword to bring about the Archmage's untimely death, though the thief did not survive the encounter, either. In the aftermath of Demron's murder, Foebane was recovered and presented to the hero Fflar to use in the defense of Myth Drannor, greatest of the Elven cities.

Yet even the power of Foebane was not enough to withstand the dark hordes which overran Myth Drannor. When the elven city fell, Captain Fflar met a grisly, gruesome end and the sword itself was lost beneath the rubble of the once great metropolis.

Legend holds that Foebane's considerable powers are further augmented when the sword is reunited with the enchanted holy Scabbard of Fflar, its original owner."

Thus the improved version will gain +1 enchantment bonus, +1 to saving throws, and holy effect.

I'm currently working on Angurvadal's lore (actually it's name should be Angurvadel), but the problem is that the sword has nothing to do with D&D, it refers to a nordic myth. Should I narrate the original Frithjof's Saga (and adds a final note like "How this sword made its way to Faerun is a mystery") or adapt it to Faerun (changing Iceland with Frozenfar, vikings with barbarians, and so on)?

It has been quite a surprise realizing that long swords were a very poor developed item group despite being the most common weapon. I've decided to post long swords even if some or them are not finished yet because pratically all of them need some feedback before being finalized.

Player's feedback needed (here or via PM).

Blade of Roses +1

Equipped Abilities:

Charisma: +2 bonus

Immunity to silence effects

Combat Abilities:

Singing Sword: allies within 20 feet gain +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls, and +1 bonus to saves vs. spell

THAC0: +1 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 1

Notes: I need suggestions about the singing sword ability in particular.

Varscona +2

THAC0: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 2, +1D6 cold damage

Notes: I've "restored" its missing name and I've given it a deserved unique bam. Cold damage has been increased from +1 to +1D6.

Ras +2

Special Abilities (once per turn):

Dancing Sword: the sword can attack on its own for 4 rounds

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Notes: vanilla's dancing sword can only dance once per day for 4 rounds, while PnP dancing ability works quite similar to my solution. Would it be better to allow only X times per day with a longer duration?

Namarra +2

Equipped Abilities:

Wall of Silence: emanates silence within 15 feet every round (save vs. spell neg.)

Combat Abilities:

Keen: +10% chance to score critical hits

Notes: keen is its PnP ability from both Magic of Faerun and Magic Item Compendium. Wall of Silence is an attempt to improve its quite useless vanilla's ability (PnP Namarra can cast silence 15' radius at will). I also think that a permanent "aura of silence" is better than a X times/day ability cause special abilities can be used without having the sword equipped and I'd prefer players to actually wield the sword to have its benefits.

Adjatha The Drinker +2

Equipped Abilities:

Hit Points: +10 bonus

Saving Throws: +2 bonus vs. spell

Combat Abilities:

Spell Drinker: arcane casters hit by The Drinker must save vs. spell or lose one memorized spell, raising wielder's maximum hit points by 2 for 1 hour

Notes: I've changed immunity to charm (a quite common ability) with a more generic defense against spells. The added 10 hit points and spell drinker ability aim to make it more similar to its PnP version. Some monsters that make use of arcane spells (like Djinniand and Efreeti) are considered mages (it is especially true if you install SCS).

Flame Tongue +3

Special Abilities (once per day):

Flame Tongue: the sword blasts forth a fiery ray at any target within 20 feet. The ray deals 4d6 points of fire damage to anyone on its path (save vs. breath half)

Combat Abilities:

Magical Fire: +2 bonus to THAC0 and damage against regenerating creatures, cold creatures & undead

Damage: 1D8 + 1, +1D6 fire damage

Notes: vanilla's flame tongue didn't do a single point of fire damage!! :( Flame Tongue ability should add something both useful and entertaining. This blade and/or Sword of Flame can be made so that they deal pure fire damage...

Dragonslayer +3

Special Abilities (once per day):

Heroism: allies within 30' gain +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, and are unaffected by fear for 1 turn

Equipped Abilities:

Regeneration: 3hp/turn

Combat Abilities:

Dragon Bane: additional +2 bonus to THAC0 and +8 to damage against dragons

Slicing: inflicts additional 2D6 points of slashing damage (save vs. death neg.)

Damage: 1D8 + 1

Notes: I've reduced its base anchantment level by one, though it's now considered of +3 enchantment when determining what it can hit. Regeneration rate is slightly better now, I've added the slicing effect (suggested by its strange curved and broad blade) and I've changed dispel illusions with heroism.

Blackrazor +3

Equipped Ability :

Regeneration: 1 hp/round

Immunity to charm and fear effects

Combat Abilities:

Souldrinking: 15% chance to drain one level from the target, raising wielder's maximum hit points by 5, increasing his strength by 1, and hasting him for 1 turn

Blood Rage: 5% chance on every successful hit the wielder goes berserk, gaining +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, +2 bonus to saving throws, but losing control of himself for 1 turn

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 3

Notes: souldrinking ability has been quite nerfed (-3 drained levels, -2 strength bonus, -15 hit points gained) but its benefits last twice as long (and note that hit points are now both healed and raised). I've added blood rage ability just for fun (and it's quite roleplaying considering the weapon's background)...what do you think about it?

The Equalizer +4

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to charm & confusion effects

Combat Abilities:

Equalizer: inflicts additional damage depending on target's alignment

+0 vs. true neutral

+2 vs. lawful/chaotic neutral

+4 vs. good/evil neutral

+6 vs. other alignments

Damage: 1D8 + 4

Notes: self explanatory, it should have been so powerful from the beginning.

The Answerer +4

Equipped Abilities:

Answerer: whenever struck by an opponent the wielder gains an additional attack the following round

Combat Abilities:

Pierce Magic: each hit reduces target's magic resistance by 5% for 4 rounds

Sunder Armor: each hit reduces target's armor class by 1 for 4 rounds

Damage: 1D8 + 4

Speed Factor: 10

Notes: inspired by PnP's Answerer I've added an effect that really sounds as "The Answerer" (IMO of course). Due to the hardcoded cap of 5 attacks per rounds the weapon shouldn't become ridiculously overpowered (I've thought about reducing the starting attack per round rate while equipped). When dual wielding the maximum number of attack per round with the main hand is 4, meaning this sword is now better suited to Single Weapon or Sword and Shield style (which somewhat seem more defensive and appropriate for the sword's name/background). Vanilla's effect have been preserved at players' request, but toned down to balance the additional attacks.

Angurvadal +4

Equipped Abilities:

Strength: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 4, +1D6 fire damage

Notes: I've replaced once/day bonus to strength witha permanent one, and fire damage has been increased from +1 to +1D6.

Angurvadal +5

Equipped Abilities:

Strength: +3 bonus

Combat Abilities:

Shroud of Flame: target bursts into flames taking 2 points of fire damage each round for 2 rounds

Damage: 1D8 + 5, +1D6 fire damage

Notes: the improved version grants more strength and has quite effective ongoing fire damage (1 point every 3 seconds).

Is there still an issue with cold damage destroying loot? I see Varscona has it. I did come across a cool-looking mod at SHS called pro5 tweaks that deals with cold damage, but its coding is apparently quite poor:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=12507

I'd prefer to see Angurvadal/Angurvadel's lore adapted to Faerun, if poss.

I see that some weapons have Holy listed as a feature, but to me the word by itself looks odd. This is just me being silly, but I can't help feel that it should be Holy Something or other, not just Holy. Ah, but the only things I can think of that start with Holy are:

Holy Water

Holy Moley

Holy Crap

Please disregard.

Is there still an issue with cold damage destroying loot? I see Varscona has it.
I've done a lot of "tests" killing more than one hundred monsters and not only once the loot was destroyed. Then I've searched through the forums and I've found that Nythrun states that frozen death is avoidable:"Cold damage you can change by making sure that nothing does more than ten points of cold damage at a time (i.e. the last extended header of Cone of Cold won't be 10d4 + 10d4, it'll be (2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4) + (2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4 + 2d4) and spam your feedback window." This would confirm my tests, not to mention I generally trust Nythrun blindly.

I'm quite relieved by this discover, and it seems I've some work to do with Spell Revisions too. :crazyeyes:

I see that some weapons have Holy listed as a feature, but to me the word by itself looks odd. This is just me being silly, but I can't help feel that it should be Holy Something or other, not just Holy.
I've taken it directly from PnP, it means the item IS holy and thus deals additional damage to not-so-holy creatures.
Guest Guest

I have a question about the Dragonslayer +3. From previous discussions I thought you wanted to make this more powerful against dragons than it once was. But it used to be a +2 weapon that did double damage against dragons. Thats 1d8+2 X2 or a max possible damage of 20. Now its damage is 1d8+1+8 or a max of 17. I know there is the 2d6 of slicing damage but they get a save for that and I'm sure dragons will make that save most of the time. Maybe you could make it so that dragons don't get a save and the slicing always works against them.

I have a question about the Dragonslayer +3. From previous discussions I thought you wanted to make this more powerful against dragons than it once was. But it used to be a +2 weapon that did double damage against dragons. Thats 1d8+2 X2 or a max possible damage of 20. Now its damage is 1d8+1+8 or a max of 17. I know there is the 2d6 of slicing damage but they get a save for that and I'm sure dragons will make that save most of the time. Maybe you could make it so that dragons don't get a save and the slicing always works against them.
I think comparing average damage rather than maximum possible one would be better (it now deals 13.5 points of damage instead of vanilla's 14), the additional 2D6 damage take place likely 15% of the time and the sword now has +1 to attack rolls too. Anyway I think you're probably right saying I've not improved it that much...though damage isn't the only thing that qualifies a weapon's value.

Speaking of Dragonslayer I was thinking of changing Heroism with Aura of Courage (allies within 10 or 15 feet are immune to fear), what do you think? Referring to weapons in general I'm going to favor equipped/combat abilities over special ones from now on, as I've realized that I don't like at all the opportunity to use them without having the weapon equipped. I've recently changed Flame of the North and Namarra following this principle.

What about the other long swords? Opinions are highly welcome.

In your Dual Wielding light/heavy weapons tweak, where do other weapons fall?
Good question, at the moment we've considered clubs, dagggers, short swords, nija-tos and wakizashis as "light", while only bastard swords, katanas and flails are "heavy". I've mostly used the "base damage" value instead of weapon's weight to determine the classes to which they belong, else most crushing weapons should have been heavy too (weight > 5 lb).

And speaking of light weapons here's the current status of daggers.

Dagger of <CHARNAME> +1

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +1 bonus

Intelligence: +1 bonus

Damage: 1D4 + 1

Usable by:

Mage (single, dual, & multi-class)

Notes: I've tried to make it a little more interesting than a plain +1 dagger with your name on it.

Neb's Nasty Cutter +1

Combat Abilities:

Keen: +10% chance to score critical hits

Poison: target must save vs. poison or be slowed and suffer 3 hp/round for 3 rounds

Damage: 2D4 + 1

Usable by:

Evil-aligned character

Notes: the poison is no longer limited by charges and I've restored an apparently broken slow effect. The blade's design inspired the keen effect and the increased base damage. Enchantment level is reduced by one to even the odds.

Longtooth +2

Combat Abilities:

Armor Piercing: additional +3 bonus to attack rolls

Damage: 1D6 + 2

Notes: I've added the armor piercing effect, but I've yet to decide if and where restoring the item in BG2.

Dagger of Venom +2

Combat Abilities:

Poison Damage: 1 hp/sec for 15 seconds unless a successful save vs. poison is made

Damage: 1D4 + 2

Notes: the high damaging poison needed a save, but I've yet to decide if restoring the item in BG2, the thief on the second floor of Gaelan's home should fit.

Pixie Prick +2

Combat Abilities:

Pixie Dust: 20% chance of making the user invisible for 4 rounds

Sleep: 50% chance target must save vs. spell or fall asleep for 2 rounds

Notes: I've halved sleep effect's chance of triggering but I've added the pixie dust effect. I may add the ability to cast the homonym spell once per day.

Stiletto of Demarchess +2

Combat Abilities:

Bleeding Damage: 2hp/round for 2 rounds

Paralyze: 50% chance target must save vs. paralyze or be held for 2 rounds

Notes: I've increased the chance to hold the target (strangely it was only 20% though Pixie Prick's similar effect had 100% chance! :crazyeyes: ) , and I've added a limited bleeding effect.

Boomerang Dagger +2

Combat Abilities:

Crippling: 20% chance to reduce target's movement rate by half

Returning: returns to the wielder's hand instantly after an attack is made

Damage: 2D4 + 2

Notes: the crippling effect should be very useful on a ranged weapon, though it may be necessary to add something more to this weapon considering how late you can acquire it. As per Tweak Pack's component throwing daggers like this and Fire Tooth cannot be used in melee anymore.

Fire Tooth +3

Combat Abilities:

Returning: returns to the wielder's hand instantly after an attack is made

Damage: 1D4 + 3, +1D6 fire damage

Notes: mostly unchanged, slightly better fire damage but lower base damage. Should I allow strength bonus to damage for throwing daggers?

Spider Fang +3

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to web effects

Combat Abilities:

Web: 50% chance target must save vs. breath or be held for 2 rounds

Damage: 1D4 + 3, +1D6 acid damage

Notes: previously a plain +4 dagger, namely Boneblade. Web effect is intentionally similar to Stiletto's paralyze and Pixie Prick's sleep, but the saves against these effects are respectively breath, death and spell, allowing different opportunities.

Dagger of the Star +4

Combat Abilities:

Stardust: 25% chance of blinding every opponent within 5 feet for 4 rounds (save vs. breath at -4 neg.)

Starmetal: deals additional 4 points of damage to extraplanar creatures

Damage: 1D4 + 4

Notes: I've found some satisfaction with 3D effects for this dagger. Both abilities are new and replace vanilla's 5% chance to make the wielder invisible. As extraplanar creatures I've considered rakshasas, demons and fallen devas/planetars/solars...am I missing some of them?

Dagger of the Star +5

Combat Abilities:

Stardust: 25% chance of blinding every opponent within 5 feet for 4 rounds (save vs. breath at -4 neg.)

Starmetal: inflicts 5 additional points of damage against extraplanar creatures

Starbolt: 15% chance to deal additional 2D6 fire and 2D6 electrical damage

Damage: 1D4 + 5

Notes: vanilla Starbolt's damage and chance of triggering has been increased. What about making the upgraded version throwable? It would be once per round only, to allow using it as melee weapon too without having the "illegal" extra attack per round.

Regarding the Dwarven Thrower +3, I see you've altered hammers base damage from 1D4+1 to 1D8, but the Dwarven Thrower +3, which does double the damage that a hammer would normally do, remains at 2D4 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres. Is this intentional?

Guest LoveWarCoffee
Skullcrusher +3

Combat Abilities:

Bone Breaking: each hit reduces target's maximum hit points by 2 for 1 turn

Human Bane: effective enhancement bonus against humanoids is +3, deals additional damage against humanoids

THAC0: +1 bonus, +2 vs. humanoids

Damage: 1D6 + 2, +8 vs. humanoids

Notes: more focused to really represent a human bane weapon as per description. I've added the wounding ability in order to balance the reduced effectiveness against non-humanoids (borrowed from Item Upgrade).

Mace of Disruption +3

Combat Abilities:

Disruption: undead creatures must save vs. death or be destroyed

Undead Bane: effective enhancement bonus against undead is +3, deals additional damage against undead

THAC0: +1 bonus, +2 vs. undead

Damage: 1D6 + 2, +8 vs.undead

Notes: the "double damage vs. undead" is replaced by the "bane" effect, which deals more or less the same damage but grants a very useful enchantment level. I've removed the -4 penalty to the save against disruption because it was too powerful being applied on every hit.

Mace of Disruption +4

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to level drain effects

Combat Abilities:

Disruption: undead creatures must save vs. death or be destroyed

Undead Bane: effective enhancement bonus against undead is +4, deals additional damage against undead

THAC0: +2 bonus, +2 vs. undead

Damage: 1D6 + 3, +8 vs.undead

Notes: it now has a +4 enchantment level, which means it can hit the most powerful undead creatures, demiliches. I'd like to add another "+1 equivalent enchantment", any suggestion?

Is this the same as the Item Upgrade Mace of Disruption? Also, IU also has an upgrade for Skullcrusher. I think the Mace of Disruption (+4) could use "always considered of +5 enchantment when determining what it can hit".

I'd really love to see a +5 Scepter of the Eternal Sun ("Scepter of Amaunator") make an entrance as a Cromwell/Cespenar item: maybe if one's got the scepter of radiance from Watcher's Keep and the Symbol of Amaunator from Umar; perhaps melt Daystar into the mix as well. Casts False Dawn, Sunray, Hold Undead 1x/day

I personally like the Amaunator/Bhaal parallels (dead gods, both thought to be on the verge of resurrection, etc.); whether this justifies there being a set of Amaunator equipment is questionable, but I think it does. IU already adds a +2 Holy Buckler of Amaunator, and I could easily see there being upgrades for numerous other items (and forgive me if this thread isn't for these kinds of suggestions):

Pride of the Legion + Light Gem + Shadow Dragon Wardstone + 3 Undead Protection Scrolls = "Amaunator's Word", AC -3, 5% Magic Resistance, grants protection from evil and death ward, cast Aid 2x/day, True Seeing and Dispel Magic 3x/day

Helm of Brilliance + Helm of Defense + Mask of King Strohm + 2x King's Tears + Tome of Amaunator = "Visage of Amaunator", 2 Bonus AC, 5% Magic Resistance, 20% fire resistance, cast Holy Word, Sunflare, and Flamestrike 1x/day

Blessed Bracers + Gloves of Healing + Raise Dead + Sunstone Gem = "Amaunator's Touch", +15 max HP, cast heal, resurrect, regeneration 1x/day, draw upon holy might 2x/day, heals 10hp and cures poison once per day.

I can think up more if this is an idea you might follow through with.

Another question for you. How will your mod react with the Tweak Packs Alter Weapon Proficiency System? Will it be compatible?

The first option, Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies, attempts to rebalance the groupings of weapons proficiencies. There are three main changes:

Wakizashis move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Katana proficiency

Ninja-tos move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Short Sword proficiency

Morningstars move from Flail/Morningstar to Mace proficiency

Archived