Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Oh, I see you've already made some changes to the first post. Tell me, will that % movement rate penalty be optional? Please say it will.

Pretty much all of the global changes have been rewritten as separate patches and will be optional components when the mod goes live. They should automatically work on all items, whether installed on plain BG2, BGT, or Tutu.

Guest Guest

Thanks, Mike.

Aren't there supposed to be strength changes to certain weapons e.g. composite long bows down to 16? Would it be possible to see all the strength-related changes?

As far as Viccy is concerned, I liked giving her the Crom Faeyr and Girdle of Fortitude so that she's great at melee. But not being able to do this isn't the end of the world. While I think of it, are there any items in BG1 that increase her constitution to the point where she can melee?
No, In BG2 there's the Girdle of Fortitude which raises constitution to 18 temporarily (the effect could last an eternity but it's dispellable). With Item Revisions it gives +2 permanent/while equipped bonus to constitution, and cast Regeneration once per day.
Aren't there supposed to be strength changes to certain weapons e.g. composite long bows down to 16? Would it be possible to see all the strength-related changes?
I'm still expanding the first post...I probably can't cover everything but most of the changes will be mentioned there.
Guest Guest

Thanks again, Demivrgvs!

Ooh, are you planning on changing the location of any items? If so, will you includes a spoilers section in the readme that gives the new locations?

Guest Guest

As I'm not that familiar with the game, I'm curious about the shields bonuses. I would've thought that -2 penalty to attack rolls is worse than the benefit provided by an extra +2 to AC, but this is just me guessing. To me, the medium shield looks to be the best, since it doesn't have any drawbacks.

Is an extra +2 to AC with -2 to attack rolls worth it?

Ooh, are you planning on changing the location of any items? If so, will you includes a spoilers section in the readme that gives the new locations?
At the moment I've only swapped Ashideena with Rift Hammer (though they can be considered new items actually), anyway I'll include a spoiler section in the readme for this sort of changes. I'm also planning to "restore" unused items, and to remove bonus merchants scattering their items between existing merchants and creatures (e.g. like SCS II does moving Vhailor's Helm and Vecna into ToB).
Is an extra +2 to AC with -2 to attack rolls worth it?
I think it depends, if you need an uber tank with very good AC you may accept the loss of 2 points of thac0. If your character doesn't have a good thac0 or needs the best achievable thac0 to hit a particular hard-to-hit monster you may prefer medium shields. Small shields and bucklers are obviously weaker but have lower strength requirements and can be wielded by more classes.

I''ve updated some weapons as following:

- K'logarath: Slicing effect "restored"

- Axe of the Unyelding: minor fixes

- Duskblade: +1d6 cold damage replaced by Creeping Cold (2 cold damage per round for 4 rounds)

- Storm Star +3/+4: added to maces list

- Psion's Blade: added to two-handed swords list

- Carsomyr +4/+5: slightly revised again (P.S it has been a real pain making the holy aura work)

And I'm going to post scimitars (with 2 new entries!! :laugh: ) as soon as I've decided what should I do with Spectral Brand.

Furthmore...

I want to add something special to the Blade of Roses (to balance the fact I'm going to reduce its enchantment level from +3 to +2, or +1 if I add many abilities). I'd like to know if you like some of the following possibilities, which one you prefer, and if you have any other ideas:

- Kiss of Sune: bards wielding it use a different "charming" song (sort of mass charm)

- Vocalize (if we really want to make it a bards/bladesinger sword)

- Singing Sword: the swords itself sings when used in battle (the effects can be something like Chant maybe)

Regarding Spectral Brand instead:

- Chill Touch: cold damage and -1 to strength on hit, save vs. death negates

- Dark Swarm: summon shadows, one every x rounds for x rounds (it matches the original description)

Here's the complete list of scimitars. Note that the first one was actually a sword sold both by Ribald and Bernard, but it clearly was a poor choice and being scimitar an underrepresented item group I've decided to give players the opportunity to have an easily available scimitar.

Sword of Flame +1

Combat Abilities:

Flaming Burst: 20% chance of dealing additional 2D6 fire damage

THAC0: +1 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 1, +1D6 fire damage

Notes: one of the "new" entries, previously a long sword which I'm sure most of you never used. Aside the obvious change of proficiency I've increased the fire damage from 1 to 1D6 plus the chance of additional 2D6.

Rashad's Talon +2

Combat Abilities:

Cleave: with each succesful hit there's a 20% chance of gaining one extra attack in the next round

Sunder: each hit reduces target's armor class by 1 for five rounds

THAC0: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Notes: previoulsy a plain scimitar +2. I've tried many solutions, and this one fits the sword's name too.

Belm +2

Combat Abilities:

Speed: +1 attack per round

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Usable by:

Monk

Ranger

Notes: I've restricted its usability but I'll undo it if many players can't play without this weapon in the off-hand.

Water's Edge +3

Combat Abilities:

Keen: +10% chance to score critical hits

Blinding: 20% chance to blind the target for 3 rounds

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 3

Notes: the other "new" entry. Previously a plain scimitar +3. I'm not 100% satisfied with it, if anyone has a better suggestion let me know.

Spectral Brand +3

Special Abilities (once per day):

Spectral Blade: this dancing sword fights on behalf of the one who wields Spectral Brand for 1 turn. The illusionary sword acts as a +3 weapon, has THAC0 3 and attacks once each round inflicting 1d8+3 magic damage. It has 36 hit points, AC 5, 100% resistance to all damage except for pure magic damage, is immune to mind affecting spells

Combat Abilities:

Ghost Blade: the ghostly blade deals magic damage and bypasses most armors, granting additional +4 on attack rolls

Chill Touch: each hit reduces target's strength by 1 (save vs. death neg.)

Damage: 1D8 + 3

Damage type: magic damage

Notes: the summoned blade previously missed all immunities to mind affecting spells, and I've slightly improved it. I've "removed" the +1D6 cold damage, instead the blade gained the chill touch effect and it now deals magic damage because of the new ghostly properties (though additional bonuses due to exceptional strength, proficiency, and so on, counts as slashing damage).

Spectral Brand +4

Dark Swarm: releases enslaved souls in the form of shadows, summoning one creature every round for 1 turn

Spectral Blade: this dancing sword fights on behalf of the one who wields Spectral Brand for 1 turn. The sword acts as a +4 weapon, has THAC0 2 and attacks once each round inflicting 1d8+4 magic damage. It has 36 hit points, AC 5, 100% resistance to all damage except for pure magic damage, is immune to mind affecting spells

Equipped Abilities:

Negative Plane Protection

Combat Abilities:

Ghost Blade: the ghostly blade deals magic damage and bypasses most armors, granting additional +4 on attack rolls

Chill Touch: each hit reduces target's strength by 1 (save vs. death neg.)

THAC0: +4 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 4

Damage type: magic damage

Notes: I've replaced Piercing Attack (which is somehow incorporated into the Ghost Blade ability) with Dark Swarm. The Spectral Blade too improves with the upgrade.

Guest EarthquakeDamage
Doesn't cold damage destroy loot? I'm sure I read something about this in the Oversight forum a while ago.

If a target dies due to cold damage, disintegration, level drain, or while petrified, all their gear is destroyed (except quest items).

If a target dies due to cold damage, disintegration, level drain, or while petrified, all their gear is destroyed (except quest items).
Damn you're absolutely right. I forgot it because it never happened to me during tests: the sword also deals 1 "hidden" point of slashing damage + character's bonuses, which are applied before the cold damage, and only if cold damage deliver the fatal blow loot is destroyed. Anyway reducing cold damage probably makes it happen even less. I'll think about something else then though I quite liked the idea. :laugh:

Changing cold damage into magic damage, and applying the cold damage animation would work but doesn't sound right, and magic damage is more powerful because very few monsters are resistant to pure magic. Probably the original slashing damage +1D6 cold is the best solution, but if you have any suggestion let me know.

Wow, staves surely needs much attention. Some of them probably still need to be refined but I think the direction taken for most of them is fine. There are two questions that need to be answered for some of them, how to handle charges and usability restrictions. Generally, do you prefer a limited number of charges or once/day solution? Personally I would make them once/day for the following reasons:

- there aren't multiple staves (which is why I rather prefer a charge system for wands)

- to avoid possible exploits (e.g. summoning 5 elementals at once, dominating an entire party,...)

- it's more fun being able to use them freely (at least I think so)

Staff of Curing +1

Special Abilities (10 charges):

Healing Touch: cures 3d8+15 hit points, while removing disease and poison effects

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +2 bonus

THAC0: +1 bonus

Damage: 1D6 + 1

Usable by:

Cleric

Druid

Paladin

Ranger

Notes: pratically unchanged, I've only increased the hit points healed.

Staff of Command +2

Dominate (5 turn)

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to charm

Damage: 1D6 +2

Usable by:

Bard

Mage

Notes: I've only added the immunity to charm, and restricted it to arcane casters.

Martial Staff +2

Combat Abilities:

Speed: +1 attack per round

Impact: +10% chance to score critical hits

Damage: 1D6 + 2

Notes: previously a plain staff +3. It should be ideal for melee oriented characters.

Cleric's Staff +2

Equipped Abilities:

Wisdom: +1 bonus

Aid: wielder is under the effect of an Aid spell, which grants +5 hit points, and +1 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws

Notes: previously a plain staff +3. Aid effect isn't cumulative with the respective spell. Should it be restricted to clerics?

Staff of Air +2

Summon 8HD Air Elemental (1 hour)

Gust of Wind: knocks back opponents (save vs. staff at -2 neg.), and removes gases from the area

Equipped Abilities:

Movement Rate: +2 bonus

Immune to slow effects

Usable by:

Druid

Mage

Notes: I've removed the slay elemental effect, changed Stinking Cloud with Gust of Wind and added the equipped abilities.

Staff of Earth +2

Summon 8HD Earth Elemental (1 hour)

Earth Grasp: entangles opponents within 30 feet for 2 rounds (save vs. staff at -2 neg.)

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +1 bonus (-1 vs. crushing)

Immune to petrification effects

Usable by:

Druid

Mage

Notes: I've removed the slay elemental effect, changed Stone to Flesh with Earth Grasp (a sort of improved Entangle) and added the equipped abilities.

Staff of Fire +2

Summon 8HD Fire Elemental (1 hour)

Fireball: 10D6 (save vs. staff at -2 half)

Damage: 1D6 + 2, +1D6 fire damage

Usable by:

Druid

Mage

Notes: I've removed the slay elemental effect, changed Fire Shield (red) with Fireball and added the fire damage on hit. It's more offensive than the other elemental staves.

Staff of Thunder and Lightning +2

Lightning Stroke: 10D6 (save vs. staff half) and stun for 1 round (save vs. staff neg.)

Thunder & Lightning: each lightning bolt deals 6D6 points of electrical damage (save vs. staff half) and deafens for 3 rounds (no save)

Combat Abilities:

Lightning: 20% chance of dealing 2D6 additional electrical damage

Thunderclap: 20% chance, upon striking the target the staff emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, stunning opponents within 5 feet for 1 round (save vs. breath negates)

Usable by:

Druids

Notes: I've improved Lightning Bolt and Call Lighning, making them a little custom; I've also added the electrical damage and slightly improved the thunderclap ability.

Staff of Power +2

Globe of Invulnerability (15th caster level)

Hold Monster (15th caster level)

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +2 bonus

Saving Throws: +2 bonus

Usable by:

Mage

Notes: I've only replaced Lightning Bolt with Hold Monster (as per PnP). If you have a better spell selection in mind...let me know.

Staff of Striking +3

Damage: 1D6 + 9 (25 charges)

Notes: added the thac0 bonus. I'm thinking about making it rechargeable.

Staff of Rynn +3

Equipped Abilities:

Last Breath: when the wielder drops below 10% hit points, an explosive burst of flame detonates inflicting 15D6 points of fire damage to everyone within 30 feet (save vs breath at -4 half)

Damage: 1D6 + 3

Notes: previously a plain staff +4 sold by Ribald (come on, a +4 weapon so easily obtainable?!). The ability is directly inspired from its description, and I think another ability will be welcome sooner or later.

Staff of the Woodlands +4

Summon Shambling Mound

Enhanced Charm Animal

Equipped Abilities:

Barkskin: wielder's skin becames as tough as bark, increasing its Armor Class by 4

Damage: 1D6 +4

Usable by:

Druid

Notes: the barkskin effect is slightly changed (note that it's not cumulative with the spell). Char Animal will have an area of effect, and Shambling Mound will be much tougher (especially if we decide to make it once/day instead of the 6 vanilla's charges).

Staff of the Magi +5

Remove Magic: dispels all magical effects upon any enemies in a 30' radius (30th level of the caster)

Spell Trap: absorbs up to 30 levels of spell, making the caster recall previously cast spells (20th level of the caster)

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Resistance: +10% bonus

Protection from Evil: +2 bonus to AC and saving throws vs. evil creatures

Combat Abilities:

Dispel: removes all magical effects upon the target (save vs. spell at -2 neg.)

THAC0: +5 bonus

Damage: 1D6 +5

Usable by:

Mage

Notes: the first thing I've obviously did without a single regret has been removing the cheesy invisibility effect. I've then replaced Fireball+Lightning with a powerful Remove Magic, I've also removed the "redundant +2 to AC and saves" (+4 to AC and saves was really too much imo), and immunity to charm, but the staff now grants magic resistance (as per PnP). The dispel effect on hit now allows a save.

Serpent Shaft +3

Combat Abilities:

Snake Bite: 15% chance to inject a lethal poison which deals 30% of maximum hit points within 3 rounds

Damage: 1D6 + 3

Notes: I've increased its enchantment by 1 because +2 is really useless by the time you finish the fifth floor of the Watcher's Keep (this is the only vanilla's BG2 item with a too low enchantment level I know of, strange indeed considering ToB was full of +5/+6 items!! :( ).

Staff of the Ram +4

Combat Abilities:

Knockdown: target is knocked back and unconscious for 1 round (save vs. death neg.)

Damage: 1D6 + 10

Notes: Knockdown previously had a 10% chance without save, by the time you get it a save vs. death is more or less the same chance (slighlty better). I generally prefer to allow a save against powerful effects, don't you agree?

Staff of the Ram +5

Combat Abilities:

Knockdown: target is knocked back and unconscious for 1 round (save vs. death at -2 neg.)

THAC0: +5 bonus

Damage: 1D6 + 14 crushing

Notes: even the upgraded version is mostly unchanged, the 15% chance is replaced by the save at -2, while I've replaced 1D4 points of piercing damage (why should it be there?) with 2 points of crushing damage (to a total of +9, exactly like the Staff of Striking mentioned in the description). Furthmore I've not implemented it yet, but thieves probably shouldn't be allowed to backstab with this weapon.

I'm kind of underwelmed by the staff changes. The staff was weak compared to other weapons to begin with. I think you have enhanced that imbalanced with the exception of mages and druids. You have made some good changes for them. But if you are a fighter who for whatever reason wants to specialize in staffs, you are at a serious handicap in SOA.

On another note, I think Crom faeyr has been nerfed too much. Looking at it by itself it looks good. But consider that to get that item you have to sacrifice several powerful items. No other item requires such a sacrifice. It ought to be the most powerful item in SOA because of that. Otherwise why bother making it?

These are just my impressions and suggestions. I don't mean to be critical. Use them or discard them as you see fit. :(

I'm kind of underwelmed by the staff changes. The staff was weak compared to other weapons to begin with. I think you have enhanced that imbalanced with the exception of mages and druids. You have made some good changes for them. But if you are a fighter who for whatever reason wants to specialize in staffs, you are at a serious handicap in SOA.
I've noticed too that fighters have much less choice here (though Martial Staff and Staff of Striking should allow them to take care of any threat), in fact I've said that usability restrictions is one thing I should work on. Anyway I don't see how I've enhanced the imbalance...every single staff is actually more powerful than before (with the exception of the Staff of the Magi which was way overpowered). Apart from allowing fighters to use more staves (like Cleric's and Elemental staves) the only other thing I can think of is making Staff of Rynn somewhat melee oriented.
On another note, I think Crom faeyr has been nerfed too much. Looking at it by itself it looks good. But consider that to get that item you have to sacrifice several powerful items. No other item requires such a sacrifice. It ought to be the most powerful item in SOA because of that. Otherwise why bother making it?
Well...actually I was thinking the opposite! It's far from nerfed, it's more powerful than before for characters who can wield it (16 strength is required). In fact the only thing I've nerfed is how the strength bonus is applied, which is much needed imo, otherwise why bother with characters like Minsc if any weak NPC can reach uber-strength levels? Let's see it in detail: it's a +5 weapon (there won't be many anymore, especially one-handed), the strength bonus it gives means roughly +3/+4 to thac0 and +6/+8 to damage, I've added 1D6 elemental damage (which means further +3.5 points of damage), and it has a chance of dealing extra 2D4 damage and severly handicap casters. Last but not least, it's a one-handed weapon (which is important because two-handed weapons has to be more powerful), and the only weapons that come near its power level in SoA are Carsomyr and Staff of the Magi (at least I think so). Have I convinced you? :D
These are just my impressions and suggestions. I don't mean to be critical. Use them or discard them as you see fit.
Don't be afraid, be critical! :( When you don't like something just say it, any suggestion/impression can be helpful, and I always take them into account. :D
Guest Guest

I guess the one thing I don't like about the new Crom Faeyr is the strength requirement. Why does it need 16 strength to use, when other war hammers need only 9 strength? The following characters have the necessary strength:

Anomen

Haer'Dalis

Keldorn

Korgan

Minsc

Sarevok

Valygar

Yoshimo

Archived