Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

I think we'd all welcome a balanced version of an Item Upgrade-esque mod, Demivrgvs.
I'll do my best. However it has to be said that one of the main goal of Item Revision is to remove the need of an item upgrade mod! :)

I wish to reach a point were most items are useful without having plenty of too powerful ones because that would ruin the balance and, more importantly, it would ruin the immersion imo (bartenders selling full stacks of +3 weapons/armors in TOB really makes me sad). Rings of Elemental Control for example are already powerful now, and having one Ring of Elemental Mastery with all their powers would be really unbalanced.

Two examples of what i may do in the future for an item upgrade-esque mod are:

- NPCs items (the first thing i would do). For example Keldorn's and Valygar's swords with Item Revision are somewhat too powerful in the beginning but too weak for chapter 6 and TOB. The only thing they need to be still useful in TOB is increasing their enchantment level to +3 or +4 and one of their abilities can be reserved for the upgraded version.

- Set Items (a la Diablo). For example a Dragonslayer set (sword + shield + helm) which would give additional bonuses when all items are worn together. This sort of thing requires a script.

"The Underrepresented Items mod blatantly steals some items from Icewind Dale 2 in order to flesh out some item groups in BG2 that are, shall we say, a little light for early game tactics (e.g., darts, maces, halberds). Note that unlike the Item Upgrade Mod, we don't claim to be particularly balanced here (although these items were "balanced" in IWD2, they may well be egregious in BG2, the jury is still out)."

Unfortunately they are unbalanced. :);)

Just so you know i'm still doing something:

Cloak of the Shield

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +2 bonus, +4 vs. missiles

Protection from Spell: Magic Missile

(Note: cloak's effects doesn't stack with the 1st level spell Shield)

Consequently i had to redo Cloak of Displacement which was too similar...

Cloak of Displacement

Equipped Abilities:

Displacement: miss chance 50% ---> sort of permanent reflected image

Nymph Cloak

Special Abilities (once per day):

Blinding Beauty: blinds creatures in a 15' radius (save vs. spell neg.) ---> replaces charm person

Equipped Abilities:

Charisma: +2 bonus

As always comments/suggestions are welcome.

One thing I'd like to see in an ItemUpgrade Mod(if this mod upgrades items), is upgrading several low enchanted items (+2 , +3, or even +4) to +5 items so that they maybe viable in end SoA and ToB. One item which comes into my mind is the Blackrazor, which is my favorite item just because of the very nice and powerful abilities. Its just a shame you get it at the end of SoA and can use it for the final fight only, and in ToB +3 just doesn't cut it. And there are many other examples. How i see it there are a couple of +5 items in SoA which are enough to hit the demi-liches, dragons, etc. So i was thinking to make a shop in ToB which allows you to upgrade items to +5, beside those upgradeable in the vanilla game. Caspenar comes in mind. But its really a shame many items don't improve which have nice abilities. I'm not necessary thinking about improving the abilities but at least the enchantment, thac0 and bonus dmg. I would also like to see some Armors which return various damage(elemental, magic) when the wielder is hit(like Keldorns Redeemer). Perhaps some Damage Reducing Armor, or Armor with various bonuses vs certain weapon types of weapons. Basically Items with various Wizard and Priest Spells, and the possibilities are huge. Another thing would be nice is to combine 1,2 or 3 items to make them into an item which confers all or perhaps a big part of those individual items. I'm not sure how far or how big u want to make this mod, so I'll just stop here with my rants. I got many ideas for items, in case you need any inspiration, PM me :)

I suppose a script could be acceptable to update the enchantment on NPC Weapons in relation to places in the storyline...

In the Item Upgrade mod you get Celestial Fury + 5 with no other abilities (other than a colour change).

In ToB +3 usually does cut it. Mages are all scripted to cast either Absolute Immunity or PfMW. Either way, without Carsomyr + 6 and the Staff of the Ram + 6 (the weapons of highest enchantment in the game) for AI, you are stuck. Only DemiLiches require more than +2 and by the time you face them you have alternate weapons to use or spells.

A massive fee to upgrade SOME items (definately not Blackrazor, it is afr too overpowered as it is, and I want to write a mod for it :)) to +4 status, CF is not a bad choice, and is only one rung up the ladder

There are a few damage-resistent armour already along the line. Human Flesh + 5 and Orc Skull Armour come to mind.

/*Demi, include a few new spells in the SpellRev mod? I kinda like the idea of damage returning buffs, even if not used defensivly. I know there are FS:R and FS:B, but they are next to useless. No protection, just a load of damage. On hit, not from just standing there like Globe of Blades */

Icen

In ToB +3 usually does cut it. Mages are all scripted to cast either Absolute Immunity or PfMW. Either way, without Carsomyr + 6 and the Staff of the Ram + 6 (the weapons of highest enchantment in the game) for AI, you are stuck. Only DemiLiches require more than +2 and by the time you face them you have alternate weapons to use or spells.
Demiliches require +4 weapons (not an usual encounter anyway) while Iron/Adamantite Golems requires +3 weapons, therefore there's "little" need of +4, +5 weapons. Even in ToB +3 weapons can still be very powerful and both Celestial Fury and Blackrazor are fine examples (I think even Celestial Fury +3 is commonly considered overpowered, though I don't think so). I'll probably limit Carsomyr, Staff of the Ram, and Ravager to +5 enchantment to make Absolute Immunity a spell worth of a level 9 slot.
Perhaps some Damage Reducing Armor, or Armor with various bonuses vs certain weapon types of weapons.
Damage resistance is a double-edged sword because it can be exploited with Armor of Faith, Hardiness and Barbarian innate resistance; I've done some items with it but I should be careful.

AC vs. weapon types is a good idea, actually all armors already have it as described in the manual (even if it's not a well know thing i presume).

I got many ideas for items, in case you need any inspiration, PM me
Any suggestion is welcome.

Well i believe there are more examples of creatures needing +4 +5 to be hit, one comes in mind the Y'tossi from the fights before the Demogorgon in WK. Ofc most of them in ToB, thats why i suggested a upgrade shop in ToB to be available and not in SoA, which at least raises the enchantment if not the thac0 or dmg bonus. Although i strongly believe giving them +2 or 3 to dmg and thac0 is not a game breaking buff.

Yes the Blackrazor has nice "strong" abilities, but nothing hinders you from nerfing them, as long as you make it viable through out ToB. Perhaps it's just me, but I can't stand having hard earned items which are unable to hit certain creatures, while others are. Not in any case im talking about +6 enchantment, since i like your idea about absolute immunity, but I see it necessary to give a wider range of weapons the possibility to hit certain creatures if upgraded at the certain shop in ToB. Why should Carsomyr or other upgradeable items by Caspenar hit XXX creature and not the others? Why should i be forced to use items which im not proficient in just because those are highly enchanted? My BG2 game always had "~SETUP-Z#MISC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Halves Weapon To-Hit & Damage Bonuses (Patch)" which i believe is pretty neat to tone down the physical dmg done by meele weapons. Also you have to consider that almost all users which will play with this MOD will have other Difficulty improving mods installed, or Quest/Encounter MODS which most likely have a couple of Creatures/Monsters needed to be hit with highly enchanted weapons. For me it makes sense to upgrade them for the right "PRICE". Yes the price, I like astronomical prices, just because there's lots of gold to be made even is SoA with Multiple Strongholds, and various mods which add new Ceatures/Encounters. Don't get me wrong I'm all up for balance and nerfing, since that way it only makes the game harder, but you can't just leave aside the "interesting/usefulness abilities" of an item. Interesting = various wizard spells put on items (+x fire/acid etc. dmg is not interesting no mather how good the item is), and usefulness = useful through out the game, not just in certain situations. Although having 2-3 items in inventory for certain situations is nice, but i think getting close to ToB you want those abilities in one item, to use your favorite weapon. You have to consider there are players who like certain abilities from weapons, and they would like those +1 +2 +3 enchanted weapons to hit demi-liches and certain bosses, and to carry through out ToB or late SoA. And remember Gold is not an issue not even in SoA. Its funny how people raise the fee for Gaelan Bayle(SCSII) just not to have 999999 gold since they don't have anything to spend it on, even with Weimers Item Upgrade mod. Not even talking about ToB, since the +2 +3 items the enemies carry make you a MILLIONAIRE in Faerun.

Well i believe there are more examples of creatures needing +4 +5 to be hit, one comes in mind the Y'tossi from the fights before the Demogorgon in WK. Ofc most of them in ToB, thats why i suggested a upgrade shop in ToB to be available and not in SoA, which at least raises the enchantment if not the thac0 or dmg bonus. Although i strongly believe giving them +2 or 3 to dmg and thac0 is not a game breaking buff.

Yes the Blackrazor has nice "strong" abilities, but nothing hinders you from nerfing them, as long as you make it viable through out ToB. Perhaps it's just me, but I can't stand having hard earned items which are unable to hit certain creatures, while others are. Not in any case im talking about +6 enchantment, since i like your idea about absolute immunity, but I see it necessary to give a wider range of weapons the possibility to hit certain creatures if upgraded at the certain shop in ToB. Why should Carsomyr or other upgradeable items by Caspenar hit XXX creature and not the others? Why should i be forced to use items which im not proficient in just because those are highly enchanted? My BG2 game always had "~SETUP-Z#MISC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Halves Weapon To-Hit & Damage Bonuses (Patch)" which i believe is pretty neat to tone down the physical dmg done by meele weapons. Also you have to consider that almost all users which will play with this MOD will have other Difficulty improving mods installed, or Quest/Encounter MODS which most likely have a couple of Creatures/Monsters needed to be hit with highly enchanted weapons. For me it makes sense to upgrade them for the right "PRICE". Yes the price, I like astronomical prices, just because there's lots of gold to be made even is SoA with Multiple Strongholds, and various mods which add new Ceatures/Encounters. Don't get me wrong I'm all up for balance and nerfing, since that way it only makes the game harder, but you can't just leave aside the "interesting/usefulness abilities" of an item. Interesting = various wizard spells put on items (+x fire/acid etc. dmg is not interesting no mather how good the item is), and usefulness = useful through out the game, not just in certain situations. Although having 2-3 items in inventory for certain situations is nice, but i think getting close to ToB you want those abilities in one item, to use your favorite weapon. You have to consider there are players who like certain abilities from weapons, and they would like those +1 +2 +3 enchanted weapons to hit demi-liches and certain bosses, and to carry through out ToB or late SoA. And remember Gold is not an issue not even in SoA. Its funny how people raise the fee for Gaelan Bayle(SCSII) just not to have 999999 gold since they don't have anything to spend it on, even with Weimers Item Upgrade mod. Not even talking about ToB, since the +2 +3 items the enemies carry make you a MILLIONAIRE in Faerun.

Why do melleé weapons need to be nerfed?! They are weak enough as it is. Nothing compared to a good mage.

The entire point of this mod is to highlight the interesting abilities while nerfing the overpowered ones. Look at what Demi has done with the Staff of the Magi, and I look forward to more of his work balancing the game.

The idea of combining weapons is interesting, however. Perhaps an absolutely massive fee and a chance of failing, as that may make you think twice before paying for the upgrade.

Oi, Demi! I am now officially motivated, will contribute! PM me if you have a work overload, ok. I shall reply with an ITM file, or a TP2, whichever is preferable.

Possible combinations with a CRE Revisions? Then you can call it BGII Revisions! :)

I might be inclined to help with a Quest Revision... (different to QuestPack)

Icen

Speaking of enchantment levels required to hit certain creatures there's one type of weapons in particular that suffer this problem, ranged weapons (bow, xbows, slings). Most types of arrows and bolts are not-enchanted,some are ambiguos (Arrow of Dispelling had enchantment 0 but was flagged as magical), and there aren't +3 ammo till ToB. Trying to "refine" this aspect i've tweaked most of these items and i'd like to know your opinion.

Acid/Cold/Fire Arrows (Enchantment +1)

THAC0: +1

Damage: 1D6 + 1, +1D6 acid damage

Arrow of Biting (Non-enchanted)

Combat Abilities:

Poison: 30% of maximum Hit Points within 20 seconds after contact (save vs. poison neg.)

Damage: 1D6

Arrow of Detonation (Enchantment +1) ---> what about giving a +3 enchantment?

Combat Abilities:

Explosion: 6d6 fire damage in a 30' radius on impact (save vs. breath half)

Damage: 1D6 + 1

Arrow of Dispelling (Enchantment +1)

Combat Abilities:

Dispel Magic on striking

Damage: 1D6 + 1

Arrow of Piercing (Enchantment +3)

Combat Abilities:

Piercing: +1D6 piercing damage

THAC0: +3

Damage: 1D6 + 3

Bolt of Lightning (Enchantment +2) ---> as per PnP

Combat Abilities:

Shock: 4D4 electrical damage (save vs. breath for half)

THAC0: +2

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Bolt of Biting (Non-enchanted)

Combat Abilities:

Poison: 30% of maximum Hit Points within 20 seconds after contact (save vs. poison neg.)

Damage: 1D8

Sunstone Bullet (Enchantment +4) ---> in order to hit Demiliches

THAC0: +4 bonus

Damage: 1D4 + 5, +2D4 fire damage

NOTE:

- i've purposely made Arrow of Dispelling magical so that they can't by-pass PfMW

- bolt of polymorph and blessed bolts aren't used in-game (i may introduce/change them)

- i think i may also add some type of bolt/bullet in the future

Still working though slowly because writing/finding good backgrounds/descriptions for items is really time consuming. Anyway here it is the "complete" list of halberds as they are at the moment. From now on i'm going to post all items of the same type together if possible, hoping it will be easier to track them down for further changes.

Suryris's Blade +2

Combat Abilities:

Knockdown: target is knocked back and unconscious for 1 round (save vs. death neg.)

Damage: 1D10 + 2

THAC0: +2 bonus

Notes: it already was a unique item sold by Ribald but despite the description it shared the same name and effects of plain halberds +2. I've added the effect to make it more fun, it has to be tested for balance issues.

Duskblade +2

Combat Abilities:

Creeping Cold: inflicts 2 points of cold damage each round for 4 rounds

Damage: 1D10 + 2

Notes: cold damage increased from 2 on hit to 2 per round for 4 rounds.

Wyrmcleaver +3 (previously named Dragon's Bane)

Combat Abilities:

Cleave: with each succesful hit there's a 15% chance of gaining one extra attack in the next round

Dragon Bane: effective enhancement bonus against dragons is +3, deals additional damage against dragons

Keen: +10% chance to score critical hits

THAC0: +1 bonus, +2 vs. dragons

Damage: 1D10 + 1, +8 vs. dragons

Notes: one of the revision i like the most. Against dragons it works as before (only slightly more damaging)

but against non-dragon creatures it now has -2 to damage and attack rolls (the aim is making "Bane" weapons really shine only against the selected enemies). Anyway it can still be even more powerful than ever because of the increased chance to score critical hits (which is further doubled by the two handed weapon style) and the Cleave ability. Cleave is a tricky effect: normally it's a sort of lesser speed (which always give a full +1 attack per round), but coupled with Improved Haste or Whirlwind Attack is really good.

Dragon's Breath +3

Combat Abilities:

Dragon's Breath: additional 2D6 points of either acid, cold, electrical, fire or poison damage (save vs. breath half)

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 1D10 + 3

Notes: restored the missing damage related to enchantment bonuses, elemental damage changed from a total of 5 points to random 2D6 of each type. It should be slightly more powerful than before but it has been "nerfed" from +4 enchantment to +3.

Blackmist +4

Special Abilities (once per day):

Black Mist: blinds everyone within 10' radius

Combat Abilities:

Blind-Fight: wielder fights without penalties even if unable to see and cannot be backstabbed

Damage: 1D10 + 4

Notes: added the Blind-Fight ability to make it more interesting. I think it's really rare to acquire this weapon, let it be something very special at least.

The Wave +4

Equipped Abilities:

Protection from Spell: Horrid Wilting

Combat Abilities:

Dehydrate: 15% chance of draining victim of water, dealing 4D6 points of damage, and reducing strength, dexterity and constitution by 2 points

Wave: slays fire elementals, efreeti, and salamanders (no save)

Notes: slightly improved the wilting ability, added the immunity to Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.

Ravager +4

Special Abilities (twice per day):

Cloak of Fear

Combat Abilities:

Doom: target receives a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws for 1 turn (non-cumulative)

Notes: added the doom ability.

Ravager +5

Special Abilities (three times per day):

Cloak of Fear

Combat Abilities:

Doom: target receives a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws for 1 turn (non-cumulative)

Snake's Bite: 15% chance to inject a lethal poison which deals 30% of maximum hit points within 3 rounds

THAC0: +5 bonus

Damage: 1D10 + 5

Notes: it previously had a 10% chance to kill the target (no save) and the ability to inflict 3D6 points of poison damage on hit (save vs. poison negates). I've "combined" the effects somehow into the snake's bite ability, which will also be the new main Serpent Shaft's ability.

As you may have noticed i've already changed one of the items posted yesterday: precisely Dragon's Breath +4. I've "nerfed" its enchantment from +4 to +3 (as i've said i want people to scream "Oh My God!" when they find a +4 weapon, not just "oh, here it is another +4 weapon") and i've changed a little how it deals the elemental damage (i hope you like it). I'll add The Ravager asap (i've found a perfect description: the Ravager from NWN, i'll only adjust it a little).

Here's the complete list of magical axes.

Stonefire +2

Damage: 1D8 + 2, +1D6 fire damage ---> previously +2 fire damage

Notes: previously a +3 weapon (too easily available), fire damage increased from a fixed 2 to 1D6.

Frostreaver +2

Damage: 1D8 + 2, +1D6 cold damage ---> previously +1 acid damage, +1 cold damage

Notes: previously a +3 weapon (too easily obtainable), +1D6 cold damage instead of +1 cold +1 acid.

(Upgradeable Items: Stonefire + Frostreaver could be merged into a +3/+4 weapon by Cromwell)

Hangard's Axe +2

Combat Abilities:

Returning: returns to the wielder's hand instantly after an attack is made

Damage: 1D6 + 2, +1D6 electrical damage

Damage type (melee): slashing

Damage type (thrown): missile

Notes: previously a plain +2 throwing axe, the elemental damage make it far more interesting.

Azuredge +3

Combat Abilities:

Disruption: undead creatures must save vs. death or be destroyed

Undead Bane: effective enhancement bonus against undead is +3, deals additional damage against undead

THAC0: +1 bonus, +2 vs. undead

Damage: 1D6 + 1, +8 vs.undead

Notes: removed the "only good characters" usability restriction, the disruption effect had a -4 penalty on its save to avoid the effect but it was way too powerful imo.

(Upgradeable Items: it will be as per Item Upgrade to +4 with immunity to level drain. Furthmore i'll probably add some illithium in the Underdark's mines so that good parties don't have to "betray" their code of conduct to obtain it.)

Rifthome Axe +3

Combat Abilities:

Keen: +15% chance to score critical hits

Damage: 1D6 + 3

Notes: previously a plain +3 throwing axe, I've added the keen ability to make it "unique" but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.

K'logarath +4

Combat Abilities:

Slicing: inflicts additional 2D6 points of slashing damage (save vs. death neg.)

Knockdown: target is knocked back and unconscious for 1 round (save vs. death neg.)

Damage: 1D6 + 4

Notes: unchanged.

Axe of the Unyielding +3

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +1 bonus

Constitution: +1 bonus

Regeneration: 3hp/turn

Damage: 1D8 + 3

Notes: I've decreased regeneration rate from 1hp/round to 3hp/turn, and added the constitution bonus.

Axe of the Unyielding +4

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +2 bonus

Constitution: +1 bonus

Regeneration: 4hp/turn

Combat Abilities:

Vorpal: 5% chance of severing target's head (save vs. death at -6 neg.) ---> previously 10% and save at -4

Damage: 1D8 + 4

Notes: I've used its vanilla vorpal effect as model to standardize it, though I've halved the % chance. Anyway I think this item is still absurdly powerful imo. The recipient required to upgrade it is a Balor's Claw (suggesting the vorpal effect addition), and that's the only reason that is stopping me from replacing the vorpal effect with something else. What do you think?

Sorry i've noticed i haven't replied to some of your posts...

Well i believe there are more examples of creatures needing +4 +5 to be hit, one comes in mind the Y'tossi from the fights before the Demogorgon in WK.
First of all i must say that i don't like the fact that some creatures requires +4 weapons to be hit (i prefer the damage reduction system of 3.5) but fortunately they are very few (approximately four or five creatures). Actually, checking with NI i've found that Demogorgon needs a +3 weapon (at least in my installation but i don't think Ascension could have nerfed him!), Y'Tossi "only" a +2 and i'm quite sure none requires a +5 weapon. I'm not saying that it doesn't bother me i can't use my beloved +2 weapon against these creatures (i hate it :) ) but if its abilities are great and i can still use it in the remaining 99% of the encounters i can accept it.
Although having 2-3 items in inventory for certain situations is nice, but i think getting close to ToB you want those abilities in one item, to use your favorite weapon.
I quite like to have the need of more than one item to face different foes and i consider having all abilities in one item too convenient.
The entire point of this mod is to highlight the interesting abilities while nerfing the overpowered ones.
Exactly! :D
Oi, Demi! I am now officially motivated, will contribute! PM me if you have a work overload, ok. I shall reply with an ITM file, or a TP2, whichever is preferable.
Thanks! You can PM me anytime, and any help will be appreciated but i also encourage anyone to post any suggestion here so that it can be discussed.
Its funny how people raise the fee for Gaelan Bayle(SCSII) just not to have 999999 gold since they don't have anything to spend it on

Actually, I don't know where people get all this money from! Personally, raising 100,000 gp takes several sidequests worth of looting (and that's the real motivation for that component: to give a roleplaying motivation to go to Spellhold later in the game) and I don't get silly money till very late in the game.

Archived