Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Speaking for myself, I find some of your revisions interesting and tempting to try and others not so.
Which one do you think have not been treated as they should, and which one are ok? As I said to others who PMs me, if things like this are pointed out in the thread they can be discussed, and i can try to content your requests. Obviously I can't always do such a thing becasuse I've my convictions too, but most of the times I can do something.

I'm at a loss to give the input you ask. There are so many items you intend to change, but it seems to me that I use just a fraction of them during any one game and enjoy using them as is for that game. The concern I do have in advance is compatibility in particular with the Item Upgrade mod because I really like it, use it and tailor some of my acquisitions accordingly.

Given that you look at your mod as a re-balancing of items in the game, I'd rather encourage you to implement the changes you believe should be made in accord with your vision. For whatever reason, I was thinking that you were intending to re-balance a limited set of items in the game, and my comments were made under that misconception.

Sorry,

John

For what it's worth, I've been compiling ideas for my own Item Rebalancing mod (distant future, don't worry about it), and foresaw that it would be highly improbable that a reasonable proportion of players would agree with all of my changes. So I've been breaking down the adjustments into 3 separate components:

1) Item Enhancements (those that raise the overall power / usefulness of the item)

2) Item Nerfs (those that do the opposite)

3) Item Tweaks (cosmetic and other changes so minor that they can't really be said to alter the item's power at all).

I might break the Item Tweaks into 2 components, one for changes that really make no actual combat differences at all, and those that do alter the item's effectiveness.

This method still won't make people 100% happy, of course, but it's a lot better than "forcing" a blanket, all-or-nothing approach.

There are so many items you intend to change, but it seems to me that I use just a fraction of them during any one game and enjoy using them as is for that game.
Most items wont be changed drammatically, but the aim is exactly to avoid having many items most players will never use (Malakar, Rashad's Talon, ...).
So I've been breaking down the adjustments into 3 separate components:

1) Item Enhancements (those that raise the overall power / usefulness of the item)

2) Item Nerfs (those that do the opposite)

3) Item Tweaks (cosmetic and other changes so minor that they can't really be said to alter the item's power at all).

Good suggestion. I can probably do something like that.

For Lilarcor, how about -2 to intelligence. Maybe that's how he powers his speach. This wouldn't affect Minsc too much, except against mind flayers, but it might give other users pause.

For upgraded Carsomyr maybe you could up the damage against evil creatures a couple of points and/or add some damage against neutral creatures (the whole"if your not for us, your against us" thing).

For the item upgrade component, what I was hoping for is to upgrade cool +1 or +2 weapons to be usable at the end of the game. For example Spiders Bane, you could upgrade with scrolls of web, potions of freedom and cash to Arachnids Bane +4 that could cast web and/or freedom.

There are a bunch of +1 or +2 weapons that have great concepts but you just can't bring yourself to use late in the game because there are other weapons or armor with a higher enchantment level. Variety is good.

I noticed in one of your previous posts you mentioned set bonuses(dragon set). Can you explain how you can do this, as it's exactly what I want.
Sorry I forgot to reply last time...I'm not the best one to ask about coding and you'll need scripts. I think it can be done either via dplayerx.bcs or baldur.bcs by using something like "IF HAS ITEM (...) THEN (assign the approrpiate bonuses) END".

There are some very good guides out there, like Sim's Complete Scripting Guide.

For Lilarcor, how about -2 to intelligence. Maybe that's how he powers his speach.
Actually a good suggestion, even if I fear it's another thing most players wont like. :) Maybe I can even the odds adding immunity to INT drain to Lilarcor? :) It would became known as The Flayer's Slayer! :)
For the item upgrade component, what I was hoping for is to upgrade cool +1 or +2 weapons to be usable at the end of the game. For example Spiders Bane, you could upgrade with scrolls of web, potions of freedom and cash to Arachnids Bane +4 that could cast web and/or freedom.
That's exactly how I'd like to do an Item Upgrade Component. I'm just against having billions of +4/+5 items.
I cannot currently document the list because I am away from my computer, though, I get back to it on Monday, so I shall post the list and you can see what we have currently done and some concepts that may be done.
Ehm...no offense but "we have currently done" should only include me and Mike1072 who's really helping me a lot with feedback and coding stuff. It's not that I don't appreciate your interest, I really do, but your statement was taking away his credit.

I'm not talking billions, but maybe 8-10 +4 weapons and 2-4 +5 weapons with special consideration to those types of weapons that have been neglected in the game like spears, halberds, short swords and daggers. It won't give the characters more powerful weapons, it will just give them a bigger variety to choose from. I want to be able to re-play the game and use different characters with different weapons but not feel like I'm sacrificing something by specializing in spears for example.

I'm not talking billions, but maybe 8-10 +4 weapons and 2-4 +5 weapons with special consideration to those types of weapons that have been neglected in the game like spears, halberds, short swords and daggers. It won't give the characters more powerful weapons, it will just give them a bigger variety to choose from. I want to be able to re-play the game and use different characters with different weapons but not feel like I'm sacrificing something by specializing in spears for example.
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. :)
For Lilarcor, how about -2 to intelligence. Maybe that's how he powers his speach.
Actually a good suggestion, even if I fear it's another thing most players wont like. :) Maybe I can even the odds adding immunity to INT drain to Lilarcor? :) It would became known as The Flayer's Slayer! :)

Bear in mind that this may be seriously unbalancing in anti-Mind-Flayer battles. The only other weapon with this power (iirc) is deep in ToB, whereas Lilarcor can be picked up early in chapter 2.

Bear in mind that this may be seriously unbalancing in anti-Mind-Flayer battles. The only other weapon with this power (iirc) is deep in ToB, whereas Lilarcor can be picked up early in chapter 2.
Sorry, I should have pointed out that I was joking. :) I agree it would be unbalanced against Mind Flayers don't worry, I'm not even sure Psion's Blade grants such immunity (while improved Lilarcor with Item Upgrade surely does). Rather I thought about giving it a sort of Mind Blank ability (which is in short a Chaotic Commands spell) while equipped to balance the -1 enchantment bonus and the -X to INT. My concern is that it's too easy to obtain it, and I think it overshadows others two-handed swords like Flame of the North and Harbinger which are acquired much later. What do you think?

Would you consider giving the Staff of the Magi the ability to cast Invisibility, maybe 3x per day?
Unfortunately the engine doesn't allow to give more than 3 headers to the same item, therefore giving the Staff the ability to cast invisibility would mean removing one of the other abilities (Remove Magic, Spell Trap and Telekinesis at the moment) which I think are more useful, appropriate and "unique" (no other item has them). Why would you prefer invisibility when you can have Invisibility 3xday with the Ring of Invisibility and Improved Invisibility 1xday with the Ring of Air Control?
<mega-cut by G-Mon> Why would you prefer invisibility when you can have Invisibility 3xday with the Ring of Invisibility and Improved Invisibility 1xday with the Ring of Air Control?
So we can get more spell slots by using both the Ring of Acuity and Ring of Wizardry? :) Actually that's even better: 2x Invisibility + 1x Improved Invisibility + 1x Shadow Door + 1x level 3, 6, and 7 spell of your choice.

Archived