Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Concerning quarterstaves: I read somewhere that a person trained in quarterstaff can defeat anyone else, including unarmed opponents. You could think about giving them a better AC, perhaps based on the number of stars in its proficiency.

I guess the one thing I don't like about the new Crom Faeyr is the strength requirement. Why does it need 16 strength to use, when other war hammers need only 9 strength?
Well...vanilla's Hammer of Thunderbolts has the same strength requirement, which somehow vanish when you upgrade it. PnP version is a large hammer (by large I mean oversized) which inflicts double damage and requires 18/01 strength. I may remove or lower the strength requirements, though most of its usefulness is wasted if the wielder doesn't reach very high strength values with the +5 bonus.

Furthmore looking at its AD&D description instead of the 3.5 one I've found that hurling the heavy hammer was outwearing (can't be hurled more than once per round, after 5 times within 2 turns character must rest) rather than normal...therefore I'm thinking perhaps I can please J Beau's request of making it slightly more powerful. What about adding the following special ability?

Thunderclap (five times per day): when hurled, upon striking the target the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, causing all creatures within x feet to be stunned for x round (save vs. breath at -x negates)

As you can see, any suggestion/impression lead to something. I hope that something is welcome. :(

So you're planning on giving the Crom Faeyr the ability to be thrown as well as used in melee? That would make it more useful.

I have to agree with the previous posters that I don't find the new Crom Faeyr to be all that great. Also, I'm looking at that list of NPCs in post 165 and I'm wondering how many of those are likely to have the War Hammer proficiency, unless of course you use pre-game knowledge and plan for the Crom Faeyr.

I personally think that only allowing strong characters to use it takes away a great deal from the weapon (especially if you'll allow it to be used as a ranged weapon, where someone like Viconia could use it rather than a sling). It's obviously best used by someone strong, but that's no reason to restrict it to certain NPCs.

Have you decided what to do with the Purifier?

So you're planning on giving the Crom Faeyr the ability to be thrown as well as used in melee? That would make it more useful.
But making it ranged stops putting it in the offhand.
I've just finished adding and testing the ability, there's left to decide if it should be a ranged ability or a magical one.

Ranged Solution:

- Pro: displays proper hurling animation; deals correct damage depending on character's strength value

- Con: can miss the target (I consider it a pro for realism :D ); hammer can't be held in the off-hand anymore; when charges are drained you have to re-equip the melee version (right click on the hammer's icon, it's not necessary to open the inventory)

Magical Solution:

- Pro: hammer can still be used in the off-hand; always hit; wielder can hurl it even if the hammer isn't correctly equipped but just present in a weapon slot (I hate this :( )

- Con: doesn't display the correct animation (you can see the hammer flying against the target but the wielder doesn't swing is arm); damage isn't related to the wielder

I personally prefer the ranged solution (I don't like the idea of using a large heavy hammer as off-hand), but I'd like to know the general consensus: ranged vs. off-hand!

Optionally if we opt for the ranged version, thunderclap can be made non-charges dependant but less powerful (stuns only 1 round, save without penalties, affects only one target or a very small area like 5 feet radius); while a charges dependant version would likely be more powerful (longer stun, better save penalties, 10/15 feet radius area of effect).

Many people complained about its strength requirements, thus I'm probably going to remove it.

Ok, the cases and solutions already posted pretty much make it clear that a ranged solution would be better.

A bug in the IE is that if you have charges but the item still remains, it wraps round to about 65000 charges. Either have a variable set in Baldur.bcs to get it "recharged" by Cromwell, spawning a new one in your inventory, but other than that, I can see no obvious solution.

Icen

Some things (in point form because I'm in a bit of a rush):

Axes are on page 6 but the index says page 7.

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is there any chance of you introducing 2-handed axes into the game? Maybe one or two powerful ones in ToB (this way I could have Sarevok use one)?

I believe I read something about new Cromwell and Cespenar item combinations, so perhaps you could let us know what those are in the readme. Also, are any of the old item combinations changing?

I don't think I'll be using the armour movement rate penalties, unless you can find some way to make them only apply during combat (dunno if this is even possible). I tried armour movement rate penalties as part of the Refinements mod, and didn't like the fact that my party traveled across the map at different speeds.

I think it's understandable that it's proving tricky to re-balance the Crom Faeyr, and I'm glad we're having a discussion about what to do. I have to agree that the ranged solution is the obvious choice. I'm not too sure about the 'mainly melee with some ranged' idea, as I prefer weapons that can be used continuously either as a melee weapon or as a ranged weapon e.g. like AX1H05 - Throwing Axe +2.

Have you given any thought to Dak'kon's Zerth Blade? I really like this weapon, and hope there's some way that it can be upgraded later on in the game (to no more than a +3 weapon). And is there any way to make it's bonus spells remain even if you equip a different weapon, but keep the Zerth Blade in a quick weapon slot? I'm imagining a situation where the player momentarily switches to a ranged weapon, and then switches back (only to forget their bonus spells!).

Ooh, and for the Staff of the Ram, would you consider moving it's location so we don't have to kill that nice dragon to get it?

Axes are on page 6 but the index says page 7.
Corrected thanks.
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is there any chance of you introducing 2-handed axes into the game? Maybe one or two powerful ones in ToB (this way I could have Sarevok use one)?
I've thought about it, but I discarded the idea because I find halberd animation quite weird if used for two-handed axes.
I believe I read something about new Cromwell and Cespenar item combinations, so perhaps you could let us know what those are in the readme. Also, are any of the old item combinations changing?
New upgradeable items aren't my priority, but I may work on them after a first release. Cromwell and Cespenar recipes aren't changed (though the resultant items may have changed a lot), and I've tried to tie the upgrades to the components used. There's not technical incompatibility with Weimer's Item Ugrade either, but there can be conceptual incompatibilities.
I don't think I'll be using the armour movement rate penalties, unless you can find some way to make them only apply during combat (dunno if this is even possible). I tried armour movement rate penalties as part of the Refinements mod, and didn't like the fact that my party traveled across the map at different speeds.
I might manage to make penalties take effect only when enemies are in sight, though I don't like the idea at all...I'll think about it. Personally I don't find movement penalties a problem unless you have to roam through the entire map, instead I find that they make BG2 walking speed more human. It's a flavour tweak that aims toward realism and has a limited effect on combat situations, thanks to Mike1072 you may just avoid the component (I would have made it mandatory :( ).
With the rebalanced shields, S+S shouldn't be TOO far behind Dual Wielding...
I hope so, and some shields may still be improved in the future. Unfortunately I can't directly tweak the weapon style proficiency system, therefore I've to find other ways. Keen weapons for example are an incentive to 2handed and single weapon style, which effectively double the range of critical hits, thus a keen weapon has a 20% chance to score a critical. I can't do much, but I try to do my best.
Have you given any thought to Dak'kon's Zerth Blade? I really like this weapon, and hope there's some way that it can be upgraded later on in the game (to no more than a +3 weapon). And is there any way to make it's bonus spells remain even if you equip a different weapon, but keep the Zerth Blade in a quick weapon slot? I'm imagining a situation where the player momentarily switches to a ranged weapon, and then switches back (only to forget their bonus spells!).
There's no way to avoid losing the additional slots if you un-equip the sword, and I wouldn't allow it either. Zerth Blade is one of the few items introduced by bonus merchants which is already fine. As I've said before, I think bonus merchants shouldn't exist...they sell absurdly powerful artifacts along with useless ones, all items use pre-existing bams and usually have a poor description/background, and last but not least they don't integrate at all with the existing world. I'll surely delete them and scatter their items in existing shops and areas/creatures.

It seems the ranged option for Crom Faeyr prevailed, good. Said and done.

You may have already provided the answer to this, but I don't fully understand the situation regarding item upgrades. I perhaps confused you into thinking that I was talking about Weimer's mod, but I wasn't. So can you please tell me if you'll be allowing any upgrades other than the ones in the stock game?

Edit: Re-read what you put and managed to understand it.

Are you leaning towards the charges or non-charges (i.e. unlimited throws!) for the Crom Faeyr?

Regarding Crom Faeyr's hurling ability I've opted for unlimited throws, thunderclap ability is as follow:

Thunderclap: when hurled, upon striking the target the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, stunning opponents within 5 feet for 1 round (save vs. breath negates)

I've also changed Staff of Thunder and Lightning' thunderclap ability to work like this one, though on melee hit and with a lower chance of triggering.

Now I've to decide if the original Hammer of Thunderbolts should be throwable itself...and if the thundering ability should be preserved (both for the original hammer and for melee Crom Faeyr).

Ooh, and for the Staff of the Ram, would you consider moving it's location so we don't have to kill that nice dragon to get it?
I'm more inclined to change an item's location if its original one is "out-of-place". Like Belm's one, which is silly (who would leave such a powerful blade un-guarded?!).
Have you decided what to do with the Purifier?
Not yet, it probably have to be very similar to Carsomyr, though slightly less powerful, and with a differnt spells selection to avoid having just a lesser Carsomyr (e.g. mass cure may become mass heal, dispel may become draw upon holy might). Furthmore it needs a combat ability, because I don't want to relegate this weapon to the off-hand like most players do. Ah...I was thinking of making it a long sword (holy avengers usually are long swords, while 2handed and bastard sword versions are very rare).

Archived