Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Regarding the Dwarven Thrower +3, I see you've altered hammers base damage from 1D4+1 to 1D8, but the Dwarven Thrower +3, which does double the damage that a hammer would normally do, remains at 2D4 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres. Is this intentional?
Yes it is, 2D8 would be too much imo.
Is this the same as the Item Upgrade Mace of Disruption? Also, IU also has an upgrade for Skullcrusher. I think the Mace of Disruption (+4) could use "always considered of +5 enchantment when determining what it can hit".
I don't think IU has a MoD upgrade, and it doesn't need to be +5 because +4 weapons can hit every single creature in the game. Generally I prefer to assign a combat/equipped ability rather than just raising a weapon's enchantment. IU's Skullcrusher inspired IR's one, though I'm going to improve it a little bit (like giving it the "impact" effect).
I can think up more if this is an idea you might follow through with.
Any suggestion is welcome, but there's so much work that can be done with existing items before taking into consideration an item-upgradesque component.
Another question for you. How will your mod react with the Tweak Packs Alter Weapon Proficiency System? Will it be compatible?
It will be incorporated in IR with a small difference, morningstars remain with flails (though their animation is the mace's one now) because else the flail proficiency would be quite silly having only the FoA in the repertoire.
Wait, are you saying that I won't be able to use BG2 Tweaks 'Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies' anymore?
No, I'm saying that IR will use it slightly changed:

- Wakizashis move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Katana proficiency :p

- Ninja-tos move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Short Sword proficiency :p

- Morningstars move from Flail/Morningstar to Mace proficiency :(

If you absolutely want to move morningstars to mace proficiency you can install the 'Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies' after IR...there shouldn't be incompatibilities. I've done it only because else you end up with a mace proficiency which offers tons of weapons, while flail proficiency would have just one or two.

Wait, are you saying that I won't be able to use BG2 Tweaks 'Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies' anymore?
No, I'm saying that IR will use it slightly changed:

- Wakizashis move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Katana proficiency :p

- Ninja-tos move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Short Sword proficiency :p

- Morningstars move from Flail/Morningstar to Mace proficiency :(

If you absolutely want to move morningstars to mace proficiency you can install the 'Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies' after IR...there shouldn't be incompatibilities. I've done it only because else you end up with a mace proficiency which offers tons of weapons, while flail proficiency would have just one or two.

That was me earlier, with no time to log in.

I shall have to give some consideration as to which system I prefer, since I'll be using it for both Tutu and BG2. The main thing is that I will still be able to use the BG2 Tweaks version (Tweaks is supposed to be installed after your mod, right?) if I want to.

Ideally, you'd add some more flails to the game (with a +4 late on?). You do mention something to this effect on page 7. Is there not a flail or two you could use from another mod?

For the Dwarven Thrower, how about making it 2D5 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres? Considering the changes you've made to regular hammers, 2D4 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres seems a little weak.

Guest Guest
I don't think IU has a MoD upgrade, and it doesn't need to be +5 because +4 weapons can hit every single creature in the game.

Aye you're right about the +4; my memory was that Improved Mantle protected through +4, but on further examination it doesn't. MoD under IU upgrades with Illithium, thus destroying Sarles' quest (and leaves the Illithium Alloy as a useless commodity).

I don't think IU has a MoD upgrade, and it doesn't need to be +5 because +4 weapons can hit every single creature in the game.

Aye you're right about the +4; my memory was that Improved Mantle protected through +4, but on further examination it doesn't.

What about the Lesser Demon Lord in Ust Natha?

Ideally, you'd add some more flails to the game (with a +4 late on?). You do mention something to this effect on page 7. Is there not a flail or two you could use from another mod?
I'm probably going to do it but in following releases.
For the Dwarven Thrower, how about making it 2D5 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres? Considering the changes you've made to regular hammers, 2D4 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres seems a little weak.
I know I should do something about this hammer though I wouldn't consider a +3 throwable hammer weak...it's just not "special". If I can't come up with something "better" I may just raise its base damage as you're suggesting.
What about the Lesser Demon Lord in Ust Natha?
Wow, good catch! It should be immune to normal, +1, and +2 weapons (immune3.itm) but there's an added effect which makes him immune to +4 too. This lesser demon has immunities not even granted to Demogorgon!?! :p I think it's a nonsense...not to mention he's vulnerable to +3 weapons!! :p

Well together with armors we may discuss a little change to "allow thieving and stealth abilities while wearing heavy armor". I will introduce it similarly to Tweak Pack component but mine doesn't affect lock pick and find/disarm trap to be more user-friendly, and I'd like to know if you prefer it to affect pick pocket or not. Studded leather armors are going to have 10 or 20% penalty to above mentioned skills.

Leather Armors...

Protector of the Second +2

Equipped Abilities:

Free Action: the wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that limits his mobility in any way

Armor Class: 6

Arcane Spell Failure: 10%

Thieving Skills Penalty: none

Notes: I've added Free Action just to make it special. If you have a better suggestion let me know.

Karajah's Armor +3

Equipped Abilites (at will):

Spell Storing: allows a spellcaster to store a self targeted contingency spell of up to 4th level in the armor

Armor Class: 5

Arcane Spell Failure: none

Notes: now it should be THE spellcaster's light armor of choice for non thieves character (e.g. clerics, rangers and druids included!). I think it's very fun, I'll limit it (to 3rd lvl spells or once/day) if it proves itself too powerful.

Skin of the Ghoul +3

Equipped Abilities:

Charisma: -3 penalty

Saving Throws: +3 bonus vs. paralyzation

Stench: living creatures within 10 feet must save vs. death each round or be nauseated, suffering -4 penalty to attack rolls and 25% casting failure rate

Armor Class: 5

Notes: I've added the Stench ability and the charisma penalty to make it more "unique". Note that stench doesn't affect constructs and undead creatures, stench effects take place every round and last one round.

Mielikki's Gift +4 (previously Night's Gift +5)

Equipped Abilities:

Dexterity: +1 bonus

Saving Throws: +2 bonus vs. breath

Armor Class: 4

Notes: previously it only had a bonus to hide in shadows just like shadow armor, though its enchantment level was even +5!! :)

Human Flesh +5

Equipped Abilities:

Saving Throws: +2 bonus

Magic Resistance: +20% bonus

Armor Class: 3

Notes: I'm still undecided about it. I've only slightly nerfed it, but it's still the most enchanted light armor.

Grandmaster's Armor +5

Equipped Abilities:

Haste: wearer's movement rate is doubled, he gains +1 attack/round, and +1 bonus to attack rolls, armor class & saves vs. breath (Haste and Improved Haste spells don't affect characters wearing this armor)

Armor Class: 3 (additional +1 from being hasted)

Notes: I've extended its original concept (double movement rate only).

Studded Leathers...

Armor of Missile Attraction +3

*CURSED*

Equipped Abilities:

Missile Attraction: -10 penalty to armor class vs. missile, creatures within 20' gain +4 bonus to armor class vs. missile

Arcane Spell Failure: 15%

Thieving Skills Penalty: 10%

Notes: enchantment level is raised by one to make it more appealing, the new +4 bonus to ac vs. missile granted to everyone near the wearer should be somewhat useful and more characteristic.

Shadow Armor +3

Equipped Abilities:

Hide in Shadows: +25% bonus

Arcane Spell Failure: none

Notes: its original wearer is a mage/thief who previously couldn't use spells because of his armor. :D

Orc Leather +3

Equipped Abilities:

Charisma: -1 penalty

Physical Damage Resistance: +10% bonus

Notes: physical resistance has been extended from missile damage to all weapon type.

Armor of Deep Night +4

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to backstab and blindness

Infravision: wearer can see in the dark

Notes: previously a plain +4 studded leather armor.

Armor of the Viper +4

Special Abilities (once per day):

Poisonous Cloud

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to poison effects

Notes: previoulsy had -2 penalty to saves vs. death/poison (= useless). Poisonous Cloud is the only thing posted here I've still to complete, it will be a sort of Cloudkill, but without the killing effect (poison damage only).

Armor of Thorns +5

Equipped Abilities:

Spiked Vine: whoever strikes the wearer must save vs. breath or be entangled by spiked vines for two rounds, taking 1d4 points of piercing damage every 3 seconds

Armor Class: 2

Notes: trying to do something different from the usual "damage when hit" I may have gone too far, suggestions would be very appreciated.

And Hide Armors.

Aeger's Hide +3

Equipped Abilities:

Elemental Resistance: +15% bonus

Arcane Spell Failure: 20%

Movement Rate Penalty: 10%

Thieving Skills Penalty: 20%

Notes: elemental resistance now covers all type of elemental damage. What about adding the chance to cast Animal Rage (when hit, when hp < 25%, or once/day)? It should be more appropriate than vanilla's immunity to confusion.

Shadow Dragonhide Armor +5

Equipped Abilities:

Negative Plane Protection

Armor Class: 1

Notes: it previously had acid resistance, but it's a SHADOW dragon, not a BLACK one. I've "made" it a hide armor to enhance its armor class (and being dragon armors lighter than normal armors it's still considered a studded leather for movement and thieving skills penalties).

I like where this mod is going, lots of great ideas. ;)
Thanks! :D
How about a -2 or -3 to charisma for Human Flesh?
I've alredy done this with Ghoul's Armor and even vanilla's Orc Leather has it, it would fit but it recurs too much. :)

What will the Arcane Spell Failure be for all unenchanted shields?
Both enchanted and unenchanted shields use the same penalties, which are 5% for bucklers and small shields, 15% for medium shields and 50% for tower shieds. I've updated shield's post to reflect it, and added Kiel's buckler too.

Speaking of shields I've recently worked on them to integrate 1PP's buckler, small shield and medium shield's animations which are superb. I've also spend some time to make them appear with correct bams, carried icons, and colors (1PP's shields allow an improved customization, and they now display their correct colors instead of being affected by character's major/minor color selection).

Guest Guest

So is it even worth using a shield if there's a chance of Arcane Spell Failure? Is Aerie going to have to go without a shield? Surely if it's an important spell she's casting, you can't afford to take the chance.

Would you consider a version of the mod that doesn't have the Arcane Spell Failure? I don't personally use the BG2 Tweak Pack component because I don't like the chance of failure.

I really like the look of your mod, but having the Arcane Spell Failure aspect of it included really does lessen the appeal for me.

Some thoughts:

Staff of the Magi - Looks good now, except I think the Remove Magic should be 3/day instead of 1/day (basically the Remove Magic cognate of Carsomyr's Dispel Magic ability which you've left as 3/day). What about a castable invisibility to keep with the flavor of the origional without the crazy exploit? On the other hand it's retained the Spelltrap so I guess it's still the best staff in the game.

Lilacor: Any way to make the enhancement bonus tied to the wielder's level?

-Starcrunch

If arcane and thieving penalties are to be part of the mod, maybe they could be done in a similar style to the Refinements mod, where each level of enchantment reduces (or completely removes) the penalties. I don't have the figures to hand, but the way it works is something like +1 reduces the penalties by 5%, +2 by 10% and so on.

Would you consider a version of the mod that doesn't have the Arcane Spell Failure? I don't personally use the BG2 Tweak Pack component because I don't like the chance of failure.
Don't worry, Arcane Spell Faiulure will be an optional component. Furthmore I'm thinking about removing arcane spell failure chance from bucklers to make them more appealing and to balance the fact they have -x AC vs. missile compared to small ones. Though that would make IR's Reflection Shield the dream of every mage. :)
Staff of the Magi - Looks good now, except I think the Remove Magic should be 3/day instead of 1/day (basically the Remove Magic cognate of Carsomyr's Dispel Magic ability which you've left as 3/day). What about a castable invisibility to keep with the flavor of the origional without the crazy exploit? On the other hand it's retained the Spelltrap so I guess it's still the best staff in the game.
Indeed it still is the most powerful staff, though I'd like to improve Woodland one too sooner or later. Remove Magic can be raised to 3/day, though you should consider its caster level is 30, which means it will always dispel much like an inquisitor's dispel (SCS's demiliches and few other creatures have more than 25 character levels).

Regarding invisibility it's beyond my control to add more abilities to the staff, I'd like to do it but I can't and I had to discard Telekinesis too, which I quite liked. :D Items cannot have more than 3 headers, and the staff uses one for melee purposes, one for Remove Magic, and the last one for Spelltrap ability.

If arcane and thieving penalties are to be part of the mod, maybe they could be done in a similar style to the Refinements mod, where each level of enchantment reduces (or completely removes) the penalties.
Yes, I've though about it, and it would help making enchantment level worth more. I vote against it only because those penalties are for example the only reason that keep leather armors appealing when compared to studded ones (I've made Grandmaster's Armor non-studded exactly for this reason). Similarly dexterity penalties are the only reason that may convince a character to use chain or plate mails instead of full plates (and I'm going to raise some medium and heavy armor's enchantment level, which is generally much lower than light armor's one in vanilla, keeping dex penalty in mind).

Archived