Item Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Thanks!! I'm truly sorry it's taking more time than I thought because of Spell Revisions (which is going to be released at any moment :) ), but I'm going to resume my work on Item Revisions this very week.

Furthmore I find myself stuck with some items (e.g most hammers) because I've already used most effects and it's becoming increasingly difficult to make an item different from an existing one. One solution to speed up a first release would be to ignore this at first, and then slowly refine them in following releases, would it be ok?

Guest Guest

Demivrgvs, just to confirm, Carsomyr will add 25 MR instead of setting MR to 25? I don't like the way that the stock Carsomyr sets MR to 50.

Also, once Spell Revisions is out, would you consider writing a sort of newbie guide for spellcaster battles (i.e. both mages and clerics) when using your mod with SCS/SCSII? I'm relatively new to the game, and would appreciate some pointers on how best to deal with these kinds of battles.

Ah, and as for 'Chromatic Orb: random effects', I'm aware that in the stock game you should be wary of petrifying enemies with good loot at levels 10 and 11. Will your Chromatic Orb do away with the petrification effect? If not, would you consider offering a version of the spell that does?

Due to the nature of the mod, a spell combination which works with SCS without the mod should be ok. Just make sure it wasn't via an exploit.

Seriously, Chromatic Orb is my favourite spell, but most people write it off as useless, and go for Teleport Field, there is no universal spell combination.

Icen

Demivrgvs ... sounds great! I have been looking forward to both mods. It will definitely inject some freshness into the game. If your stuck on the hammers, maybe you could apeal to the community for some suggestions. I can't wait to play your mods. keep up the good work.

Demivrgvs, just to confirm, Carsomyr will add 25 MR instead of setting MR to 25? I don't like the way that the stock Carsomyr sets MR to 50.
Yes, it adds 25% MR instead of setting it to 50%.

Replies regarding Spell Revisions mod has been posted in the relevant thread.

I imagine so, and, since my copy of the current documentation was destroyed while I was ridding myself of a virus, could you PM me with it and I will try and come up with something else.
Sure,if Im able to retrieve it somehow! :)
If your stuck on the hammers, maybe you could apeal to the community for some suggestions.
I'm always open to any suggestion. :(

I think I'll opt for a quicker release with some far-from-definitive items, is it ok for most of you?

Reflection Shield +1

Equipped Abilities:

Physical Mirror: reflects missile weapons back to their user

Armor Class: +2 bonus (none vs. missile)

Arcane Spell Failure: 5%

Notes: I've changed it from a small shield to a buckler.

Kiel's Buckler +2

Equipped Abilities:

Dexterity: +1 bonus

Armor Class: +3 bonus (none vs. missile)

Notes: previously non-magical, which was odd. I've raised its enchantment by 1.

Shield of Harmony +2

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to charm, confusion & hold effects

Armor Class: +3 bonus

Notes: unchanged.

Shield of the Lost +2

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Resistance: +5% bonus

Armor Class: +4 bonus

Arcane Spell Failure: 15%

Notes: unchanged (except for the +1 bonus to AC due to medium shield's global changes).

Dragon Scale Shield +2

Equipped Abilities:

Hold the Line: wielder is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that pushes him away

Immunity to sleep & unconsciousness

Saving Throw: +2 bonus vs. breath

Armor Class: +4 bonus

Notes: it previously set fire, cold and electrical resistance to 25%. Hold the Line protects from wing buffets, telekinesis, and similar effects.

Saving Grace +3

Equipped Abilities:

Protection from Undead: +2 bonus to AC and saving throws vs. undead creatures

Armor Class: +5 bonus

Notes: previously a plain medium shield +3.

Shield of Balduran +3

Equipped Abilities:

Reflects beholder rays and gaze attacks

Armor Class Bonus: 5

Miscast Arcane Magic: +15%

Notes: it's even more powerful than before (and it slightly bothers me) but I think it's much more cooler now as a proper mirror shield (obviously with a more appropriate bam and description). Anyway the latest version of SCS does handle this shield quite well (I love how it's done) and it shouldn't be exploitable anymore.

Sentinel +4

Equipped Abilities:

Acid Resistance: +50%

Armor Class: +6 bonus

Notes: added resistance to acid damage. This is a fine example of "far-from-definitive" item, I'd like to find something more "unique" in the future.

Shield of the Order +4

Equipped Abilities:

Saving Throws: +1 bonus

Armor Class: +6 bonus

Notes: unchanged.

Shield of the Falling Stars +1

Equipped Abilities:

Maximum Hit Points: +10 bonus

Shield Others: allies within 5 feet gain +2 bonus to armor class

THAC0: -2 penalty

Armor Class: +5 bonus

Arcane Spell Failure: 50%

Notes: removed the +4 bonus to AC vs. missile in favor of the new abilities inspired by its description.

Fortress Shield +3

Equipped Abilities:

Physical Resistance: +10% bonus

Armor Class: +7 bonus

Notes: added resistance to physical damage.

Darksteel Shield +4

Equipped Abilities:

Elemental Resistance: +20% bonus

Armor Class: +8 bonus

Notes: previously +10% resistance to fire, cold, acid and poison. I've increased the overall level of resistance and changed poison one into acid.

Wow, hammers surely was a very strange class of weapon: unique hammers were nothing more than plain hammers +1,+2,+3 till the end of SoA, and then you can suddenly have two +5 powerful hammers which deals double damage! :laugh: I've tried to rectify this, at least improving the low-mid level choice, and while doing so I've decided to change their base damage from 1D4+1 to 1D8 increasing speed factor from 4 to 7 (they are warhammers not light hammers).

Hammer of Corrosion +1

Combat Abilities:

Corrosion: 20% chance to inflict additional 2D4 points of acid damage and reduce target's AC by 2

THAC0: +1 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 1, +1D6 acid damage

Notes: replaces warhammer +1,+3 vs. Giantkin found in the Keep. Changes are quite obvious, I hope you like them.

Rift Hammer +2

Combat Abilities:

Impact: +10% chance to score critical hits

Fear: 50% chance target must save vs. spell or flee in terror for 2 rounds

THAC0: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Notes: replaces Borok's Fist, a plain warhammer +2 with +1 electrical damage sold by Ribald. Fear effect chance on hit and duration may need checks. I may place it in the Rift Area where Ashideena is found, moving Ashideena in Ribald's store. What do you think?

Ashideena +2

Special Abilities (once per day):

Defensive Harmony

Equipped Abilities:

Heroic Inspiration: when the wielder drops below 50% hit points, he gains +1 bonus to hit, damage, and saving throws

THAC0: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Notes: previously a plain warhammer +2 with +1 electrical damage. I'm quite proud of it, especially because it shows "new" effects are still achievable with some effort.

Dwarven Thrower +3

Combat Abilities:

Returning: returns to the wielder's hand instantly after an attack is made

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 2D4 + 3, +8 vs. giants & ogres

Notes: unchanged. Does it need any sort of revision?

Hammer of Thunderbolts +3

Combat Abilities:

Thundering: 20% chance to inflict 2D4 additional damage and deafen the target for 3 rounds

Damage: 1D8 + 3, +1D6 electrical damage

Notes: previously a plain +3 warhammer, which was very strange considering the efforts required to get it.

Crom Faeyr +5

Equipped Abilities:

Strength: +5 bonus

Combat Abilities:

Returning: returns to the wielder's hand instantly after an attack is made

Thunderclap: when hurled, upon striking the target the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, stunning opponents within 5 feet for 1 round (save vs. breath negates)

THAC0: +5 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 5, +1D6 electrical damage

Damage type (melee): crushing

Damage type (thrown): missile

Notes: can't be used as off-hand weapon anymore

Runehammer +3

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Resistance: +15%

Negative Plane Protection

Damage: 2D4 + 3

Notes: I've removed extra damage/save or die effects vs. undead, they made this weapon just like an improved Mace of Disruption. I've added magic resistance instead, merging somehow NWN's Runehammer with ToB's one. Considering charname's party usually isn't made of vampires, zombies and skeletons, I think Yaga Shura will find this hammer much more useful now. Enchantment bonus has been decreased by one.

Runehammer +4

Special Abilities (once per day):

Mass Cure (20th caster level)

Righteous Magic (20th caster level)

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to Fear

Magic Resistance: +15%

Negative Plane Protection

THAC0: +4 bonus

Damage: 2D4 + 4

Notes: the Rune of Clangeddin adds the same bonuses of vanilla's one, but I've replaced Fire Giant Strength with a more appropriate Righteous Magic (which gives +6 to STR, +20 hit points and makes wielder inflict max damage on every hit). Enchantment bonus has been decreased by one.

Sounds logical enough with Ashideena, it stems from BG1 anyway so putting it in Ribalds store is OK
Well, I always forget to check if an item is already present in BG I too. Considering Rift Hammer's background and powers I think it can be even more appropriate to give it to Bassilus (an evil priest of Cyric) instead of Ashideena (which has a goody background). Thanks for pointing it out.

If you're curious about Rift Hammer's background it's taken from NWN:

"During the Time of Troubles the walls between dimensions seemed particularly thin, and many creatures normally confined to other planes walked the face of Toril. Unfamiliar items appeared as well, including several of these weapons found after portals or rifts were sighted. The true origins of the Rift Hammers have never been explained, and superstitious folk refuse even to hold them for fear they retain the taint of the lower planes."

Guest Guest

Demivrgvs, do you have a list of all the global changes to non-unique weapons, and is there any way that these changes can be used in a Tutu game?

Also, do your Crom Faeyr strength requirements mean that e.g. Viconia won't be able to use it? On that note (since I like Viccy using the Crom Faeyr), will it be easy for us to undo any of your weapon changes if we don't like them?

Oh, and the Fixpack GTU contains text like 'Always considered to be of +X enchantment when determining what it can hit' where appropriate. Will your mod be including similar text? I find this 'Always considered to be...' info very useful, so would appreciate it also being in your mod.

Demivrgvs, do you have a list of all the global changes to non-unique weapons, and is there any way that these changes can be used in a Tutu game?
Well...documentation regarding global changes is scattered in the thread, I probably can list them all in the first page. I'll do it as soon as possible.

It has been tested with BGT and I'm trying to keep into account items that can also be found in BG. I've not tested the mod with TUTU but I'm quite sure there won't be problems.

Also, do your Crom Faeyr strength requirements mean that e.g. Viconia won't be able to use it? On that note (since I like Viccy using the Crom Faeyr), will it be easy for us to undo any of your weapon changes if we don't like them?
Strength requirements are there exactly to prevent weak characters from wielding heavy weapons. Furthmore Viccy won't find Crom Fayer much useful anymore because it would raise her strength from 10 (was it 8?) to 15, effectively doing...nothing. Anyway I hope your Viccy will find many other useful weapons with Item Revisions installed, not to mention I'm probably going to allow clerics to use edged weapons too (at least as an optional component).

Many global changes will be optional, and it's very easy to prevent a singular item from being installed, but undo a singular effect (e.g. like strength requirement for that particular weapon) is beyond anyone possibilities.

Oh, and the Fixpack GTU contains text like 'Always considered to be of +X enchantment when determining what it can hit' where appropriate. Will your mod be including similar text? I find this 'Always considered to be...' info very useful, so would appreciate it also being in your mod.
Weapons will always be considered to be of the enchantment bonus displayed in the main identified name (which is always the highest one). For example Mace of disruption +3 is always considered to be of +3 enchantment, though it has only +1 to hit and damage against non-undead creatures. I've removed those lines for aesthetic purposes, but I'll restore them if players still prefer the text displayed by Fixpack.
Guest Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I do find that text useful, like I said, so maybe you could make it optional or something (if it's not too much extra work for you).

As far as Viccy is concerned, I liked giving her the Crom Faeyr and Girdle of Fortitude so that she's great at melee. But not being able to do this isn't the end of the world. While I think of it, are there any items in BG1 that increase her constitution to the point where she can melee?

And a list of global changes would be a great help, since I'm trying to work out what weapons to give each NPC (using Level 1 NPCs to allow all weapon types for every class).

Guest Guest

Oh, I see you've already made some changes to the first post. Tell me, will that % movement rate penalty be optional? Please say it will.

Archived