Witcher... here we go again.

Domi

Not really. Lloth is presented as omnipresent and knowing the smallest details, and would have taken a particular offence at a male trying to pass himself for a female; the poor sod would have been driderized in no time after horrible tortures. But you know, whatever. I am not touching the game with a 10 foot pole anyway, and have no interest in those books. I am just annoyed that someone took Aurora all set up for custom characters and brow-beated it into another fixed male lead thing. Bleh.

And the witchers chose the child, not the other way round (since no one would want their child to become a witcher in the first place), starting the training very early so there was no possibility of them "not noticing" the gender.

What you have proposed fits a general fantasy like Forgotten Realms maybe, but not this specific setting.

You are not familiar with Martin? What are you still doing here? Gods, that's the root of all evils right there. Go get yourself a nice copy of A Game of Thrones, and have a good read. It's just the best hard and dark fantasy series ever written, nothing special otherwise, heh.

I don't speak Polish, and to be honest, I kind of trust Kulyok's judgment; plus I heard someone calling him Salvatore-like too withthe Witcher being another Drizzt, so I am not sure I want to go there. And the quotes I have seen... yakes.

I have read only the first book in the witcher saga, since I disliked too many of the main characters; having read about ~100 pages into the Drizzt novel (boring) however - there is not much similarity between those books.

Sapkowski created a fantasy in which the root of evil is not some cruel, ruthless deity or ancient villain, but rather the human (and not only human) nature; greed, politics, intolerance, racism and so on. His setting is morally ambiguous at best and most often corrupt, and there are no paladins or rangers saving everyone here.

plus I heard someone calling him Salvatore-like too withthe Witcher being another Drizzt

Heresy!

Seriously, Sapkowski is a lot better than Salvatore. The world in the Witcher is more similar to that of S.R.R.M. than to FR with wars, conflicts, soldiers robbing and raping, racism, sexism, etc.

There's no clear good and evil.

On the other hand there are a lot of allusions to legends and fairy tales and the book sometimes seems to be a morality tale about ignorance and intolerance.

Well, I can see some sence in the "Female Spider Queen who manifests her powers often and with glee rejects males in the female-dominated society as her priests", I can't see any sense in the "Women in general are too good-looking to be Witchers."

I don't recall anything like that - even if something like that was written, I suspect that it was a joke - a lot of people in that world have a sense of humour.

In other words, there is neither a tradition, nor religious beliefe, nor anything else that prohibits any female to become a Witcher.

It is a tradition. In the book, Witchers have no idea how to deal with female students which results in them being scolded by a sorceress that visits their place. Also, the game is about one specific Witcher - Geralt of Rivia.

Also, the game is about one specific Witcher - Geralt of Rivia.

And that's the main point of contention. Anyway, I don't give a damn about the game, it just was a brief streak of dissappointment due to the circumstances I've heard about it under, now I have no interest in it, or those books whatsoever.

Guest Lord_Lethris

Domi: Its just a game... Based on a charicter from a novel, that happens to be male... whats the **** problem? Your not force to play a male, your forced to play a charicter from the novel and follow its story, it just happenes to be male.

By your own words, what you are saying is if dev's want to make a game based on a novel, they will have to kill the Authors design and talent in favour of sexual preference?... I challange you to argue with J.R.R.Tolkin!,

"hay lets make a game where Frona and Samatha, with the aid of Mary, Poppins, Gimlea, Auldrieagorn, Leggy-lass, and Gandalf the "gay" (lets not forget there sexual preference, there real people too) have to take a 9ct diamond gold ring back Too Debenhams.!!"

If its based on a novel, I don't have a problem with it, and neather sould you!. It's just a friggin game.

If they bring out a game where you played the part of a female alchemist, then I would still get it and not moan "oh god, I'm playing a female"... wait a minuite! ->

The Legend of Kyrandia - Book Two: The Hand of Fate!

Zanthia:
A young
female alchemist
and wizard encountered in the first game. The protagonist of the second game in the series. Zanthia is a member of the Counsel of Mystics and a powerful magic-user, although she is highly dependent on the use of reagents in order to cast spells. Perhaps the sanest of Kyrandia's inhabitants, Zanthia's personality is witty, confident, and level-headed.

I think the only issue here is your a female shovanist pig, who seems to glance over the facts with her Stuborn, one Minded agender for cussing down a great story because It just happenes to have a male lead role... and i'm guessing also "Sexually suggestive" scenes, your such a prude if that was also the case.

A, GET, LIFE <- re-arreage that and it should solve all your issues.!

Oh, dear. I have a darn rich life. I have a loving family, extended family, a husband, a child, a job to go back to pretty soon, house, money in the bank and a very interesting hobby. I am young, healthy and pretty. There is really nothing I am missing in my life no matter how I look at it.

I also have no problems with reading the novels that have male leads. I see a definite difference between a game and a novel, though, and I know how I want to be entertained by a game.

I don't enjoy playing the type of the CRPG that have fixed leads, and fixed male leads at that. Because Witcher was built based on Aurora and advertised widely on BioWARE site I thought for a few hopeful minutes that it was a game where you created a custom protagonist. I was dissappointed greatly that it was not, and that brought on the long-sited annoyance that so many games are made with fixed leads for male protagonists.

By your own words, what you are saying is if dev's want to make a game based on a novel, they will have to kill the Authors design and talent in favour of sexual preference?...

No, I think that I don't like games slavishly copying the novels into a game format, and would prefer a game that borrows the setting and tells an independent story to that. And to *that* I would prefer a game with an independent setting telling an independent story. All with the custom character creation.

If I should be cussed and condemned for this, well, let me be cussed and condemned for this. I was never been afraid, and I will never be afraid of stating my mind and my preferences.

Edit: You surely've given me a good laugh too. Thanks. I always appreciate a good laugh.

I also have no problems with reading the novels that have male leads. I see a definite difference between a game and a novel, though, and I know how I want to be entertained by a game.

But if a male leads the novel because the story is about him, and the game is based on the novel about this charicter story and you playing there part, then surly it has to be a male role?

I don't enjoy playing the type of the CRPG that have fixed leads, and fixed male leads at that. Because Witcher was built based on Aurora and advertised widely on BioWARE site I thought for a few hopeful minutes that it was a game where you created a custom protagonist. I was dissappointed greatly that it was not, and that brought on the long-sited annoyance that so many games are made with fixed leads for male protagonists.

You do create a Custom Potagonist. Granted he is "male" but there are 100's of skills to build up on "your way"... its also designed so that you can never get your Charicter to 100% full, so your made to think about what skills suit you best and how to watch for your weeknesses.

No, I think that I don't like games slavishly copying the novels into a game format, and would prefer a game that borrows the setting and tells an independent story to that. And to *that* I would prefer a game with an independent setting telling an independent story. All with the custom character creation.

Then whats the point in an author writing a book, if devs are to knick ideas and make a totally different game/story out of it... that might not even be to the novelists tasts? Its like taking the "Conan the Barbarian" stories and making a film where "Conan" supresses the Villan with a large leaflet campaign and a protest outsite Evil HQ.... its just not the same.

If they were to make a game with an independent setting telling an independent story they might as well write it themselves and call it somthing else and save themselves £££ in royaty fees.!

If I should be cussed and condemned for this, well, let me be cussed and condemned for this. I was never been afraid, and I will never be afraid of stating my mind and my preferences.

me too. :(

Edit: You surely've given me a good laugh too. Thanks. I always appreciate a good laugh.

Obliged ;)

Archived