Witcher... here we go again.

Domi

Also, Salvatore is hack and Sapkowski is leagues away from him when it comes to writing.

Sigh. Alas, no.

I don't know what was translated and more importantly how, so it's a moot point.

And no, I don't see how having a fixed character, particulary a fixed canon character, helps one roleplay; all it does is creates a character and personality for you. I prefer doing it all myself. I do have plenty of imagination, and I want a game's story to be about *my* character. That's the necessary minimum I want to bring to the table to enjoy the adventure, otherwise I feel disengaged from the events, and not participating in the game, just watching some movie with a bit of interactivity added in.

I don't see how having a customizable character helps one roleplay either. The margin for development is paper-thin regardless, even moreso if the story must fit all kind of characters. I have yet to see a game in which playing a female half-orcish warrior instead of an elven mage, or whatever, actually mattered and wasn't just eye candy. Most games are so bland and generic that one could very well be roleplaying an armchair or a koala in his or her mind, for all that matters. To me, character design has a serving role, not a leading one: whichever choice suits the game better - go for that.

Wow, so if I play the game and as such play the character 'Geralt' who is male and a Witcher, I'm playing 'me'? So 20 points in skill A and 40 points in skill B and choosing a few different responses will make my male witcher called Geralt extremely different from someone else's Geralt? It sounds like a pretty impressive game then!!

No, it's choosing your character's gender and eye color that would make your female witcher totally extremely different from everyone else's witcher. Yay for going through exactly the same set of events and miserly dialogue - but with a slightly different-looking character!

And that was the gist of my post: I am not buying it, because I don't like the set up and I am dissappointed because it was using AE that is set up to handle multiple protagonists, widely advertised on Bio's site, blah-blah-blah....

As for Witcher, they say that they planned in the beginning to allow a few different classes and female protagonists as well. And then in the end they went with the fixed male lead, that Geralt guy. Which is what put the game on my 'ignore' list the moment I dug up that piece of info.

I doubt Bioware made the AE with character customization in mind as the bulk of the engine. Anyway, back to square one: it's not about customization, it's about the character being a male.

Yea, I know. I'll wait and see what everyone else thinks of the Witcher. At the moment I have no desire to play a drugged up-Drizzt.

Which is what one plays in, uhm, roughly 98% of roleplaying games - eventually replace swords with guns.

Planescape Torment is the best game ever! Although the beginning of the game was really slow and I hated the idiotic zombie PC. But... then came a story. The best tale I've ever heard. Story about sins and forgivness, crime and punishment. Main protagonist was a Romanticism hero. He was truly exceptional. Moreover he was truly the center of the plot. And yet he was drawing other exceptional characters and strong personalities. He was the only one, who could heal their broken souls a give them hope.

Planescape Torment is epitome of RPG to me. Because you really have ROLE in this game, in this Magnum Opus.

And I really like Sapkowski. His world is a simple combination of desperation and hope, of tragedy and humor. Women are really strong characters in his books. Ciri (in fact she is the main character of his books), Milwa, Renfri, Yennefer - all of them.

And Regis was the best vampire ever! :-)

I think, that the game could be good as well. Although there are many stupid things like those cards, boxing etc. But I can't wait to hear Yarpen, Zoltan and the others.

Btw I don't think, that discussion about sexism and stuff is wise. It's just a game. And I'm not offended by games with female protagonist. For example The Longuest Journey was really good game with great main character. After all, it's all about the story.

Btw I don't think, that discussion about sexism and stuff is wise. It's just a game. And I'm not offended by games with female protagonist. For example The Longuest Journey was really good game with great main character. After all, it's all about the story.

Thanks for reminding me!

Dreamfall was a blast and probably the best game I've ever played. Terrific story. I didn't mind playing a female protagonist. So there.

Ah well, i played the Longest Journey. I think i liked it, but i somehow didn't notice there was a female protagonist. Yes, now i vaguely remember, but i don't think her gender was important at all.

While in PST, i cannot imagine the story the other way around. Domi has more motivation and imagination to do it.

You sir are oh so sharp, it's miracle you haven't cut yourself yet.

Sarcasm aside (just in case you didn't notice), did I ask you or Domi? No? Thank you.

It's Ms, btw.

Actually you have directed a lot of stuff at Domi, including your first post in this thread and I, for one, find your responses somewhat 'childish' and at times inconsistent.(I keep expecting a 'Ner, Ner, Ner, so there' ending to all your posts) You have also put yourself, quite vocally, in the limelight and *sigh* I really should know better then to feed the trolls.(My bad. :( )

I was impressed with the gritty world of Witcher, which tackles modern problems : racism, terrorism; which is not about saving the world and not about the fight of good against evil - it's pure politics.

The dialogues have "personality" and the developers made a mature game (no, that doesn't mean swearin' at the every corner).

I was also impressed with its combat system which is both flashy and very tactic.

Is it worth trying? Damn right.

So yeah, I guess in the end it's all about personal preferences. Still, I think people should at least give it a chance. I've played both JE and Witcher. You haven't.

I'm starting to think that you are involved in some way with the development or marketing of the Witcher. Maybe though, you just don't like it when people express a negative opinion about a game which you, obviously, are a fan of. It's all opinion, no one is 'right' or 'wrong'.

Thanks for reminding me!

Dreamfall was a blast and probably the best game I've ever played. Terrific story. I didn't mind playing a female protagonist. So there.

Adventure games have a better history of gender balance throughout the years. They also have a very large fanbase that is female.

Actually for some early adventure games you get no sense of a particular character at all. The player is an observer as a story unfolds and solves puzzles to advance it.

I read that Dreamfall was a bit of a disappointment to Adventure Fans, particularly those that followed 'The Longest Journey'.

It's Ms, btw.

Actually you have directed a lot of stuff at Domi, including your first post in this thread and I, for one, find your responses somewhat 'childish' and at times inconsistent.(I keep expecting a 'Ner, Ner, Ner, so there' ending to all your posts) You have also put yourself, quite vocally, in the limelight and *sigh* I really should know better than to feed the trolls.(My bad. :( )

Yes miss, I'll do better next time.

I'm starting to think that you are involved in some way with the development or marketing of the Witcher. Maybe though, you just don't like it when people express a negative opinion about a game which you, obviously, are a fan of. It's all opinion, no one is 'right' or 'wrong'.

Maybe that's because said people haven't played the game, heh. Seems you can't handle people voicing positive opinions about this game - but I'd like to point you out that I've actually played the game, unlike you.

Adventure games have a better history of gender balance throughout the years. They also have a very large fanbase that is female.

Actually for some early adventure games you get no sense of a particular character at all. The player is an observer as a story unfolds and solves puzzles to advance it.

I read that Dreamfall was a bit of a disappointment to Adventure Fans, particularly those that followed 'The Longest Journey'.

You read, you heard....too bad you haven't played it. There's a strong connection with the character in the Dreamfall game. It's a story about finding yourself, so it's pretty darn important.

All in all, the point is : it doesn't matter to me, as long the game has an interesting story to offer.

Comes from someone who hasn't probably read the books and doesn't have a clue about it...Geralt is an anti-hero and they have nothing in common. Also, Salvatore is hack and Sapkowski is leagues away from him when it comes to writing.

So there.

Earlier I did state that I hadn't read the Witcher series. Nice that you pay attention to what others say.

Furthermore, I was talking specifically about the gameplay, not the actual character himself.

I stated I haven't read the Witcher series earlier. Nice that you pay attention to what others say.

Furthermore, I was talking specifically about the gameplay, not the actual character himself.

Rrrright.

Yea, I know. I'll wait and see what everyone else thinks of the Witcher. At the moment I have no desire to play a drugged up-Drizzt.

That's debatable.

That's debatable.

Instead of using a single quote that makes you look correct when you are not, try making a valid argument against the entire post.

Witcher has perhaps the most interesting combat system in cRPG history. You've two swords - steel for humans and silver for monsters and each has three different styles you must use in order to win. Then there's the alchemy, if there's a difficult battle ahead of you, you must prepare yourself and drink powerful but poisonous potions - drink too much and you'll die.

And perhaps the most interesting thing - the decisions. Every problem has various solutions - you won't see all of it during first playtime.

So yeah, I think it's worth it. If you're a fan of cRPG's it's a must.

Do I need to explain what a metaphor is next?

Do I need to explain what a metaphor is next?

I bow before your superior intellect, sire! Having a complex, are we?

Seriously, given the context, you know well this sentence could be interpreted both ways.

Especially because the quote ends at :

So yeah, I think it's worth it. If you're a fan of cRPG's it's a must.

Or do I need to explain what interpration is next?

Try to be more clear next time and you'll avoid situtations like these.

A few other strikes against Witcher: it apparently doesn't even have a party (I was under the false assumption that it does). And, you don't select all the things he will say. So, you prompt the guy and he says more than you've seen in his 'choice' line.

Archived