Witcher... here we go again.

Domi

At least I don't have to play a scarred, ugly, charismatic, undead amnesiac. That would suck the most....

...wait, I loved that game. :-P

NWN2 MotB has some elements of this game, getting experience for talking and dream sequences, yay. So there is a God.

Sorry I get easily detracted and offtopicish after rants.

Yes, MoTB is what PS:T should have been. I am looking forward to playing it.

But if a male leads the novel because the story is about him, and the game is based on the novel about this charicter story and you playing there part, then surly it has to be a male role?

I don't see the point of playing through a novel as someone else's character, no matter how good the character is. What I want to play is a story about *my* character, and an original story at that, the one I have not seen. I don't mind it being set in a familiar setting and meeting/working for the canon characters. But playing a canon character... sorry, nope.

Then whats the point in an author writing a book, if devs are to knick ideas and make a totally different game/story out of it... that might not even be to the novelists tasts? Its like taking the "Conan the Barbarian" stories and making a film where "Conan" supresses the Villan with a large leaflet campaign and a protest outsite Evil HQ.... its just not the same.

If they were to make a game with an independent setting telling an independent story they might as well write it themselves and call it somthing else and save themselves £££ in royaty fees.!

Yes, that's my prefernce, for the game makers to create their own worlds, and their own stories for flexible protagonists. Look, a character in a novel is not written to be flexible, he is predetermined, just like the story-line. Any game that utilizes either the setting or the charater is a glorified fan-fiction. So, I don't see why not make this one important step and let the new story have a new user-determined lead, instead of leaving the user with nothing to contribute apart from the skill destribution.

BTW, if I was a wirter and created a character, I would have been pretty annoyed if people could change that character in the game from the Brooding Evil Bastard into a Sunshine Good Doer and anything in between. So, the whole idea that you do role-play that particular character, but you build/develop it your own way is a travesty to me. All you keep is the looks, the gender and the name. Why? Because it's how he's called in the books? (Shrugs). Why bother? A custom lead will be much better, and won't tie the player to someone else's character/rules.

You do create a Custom Potagonist. Granted he is "male" but there are 100's of skills to build up on "your way"... its also designed so that you can never get your Charicter to 100% full, so your made to think about what skills suit you best and how to watch for your weeknesses.

That's not enough to call a character a custom protagonist. Custom protagonist is someone you as a user create, including the appearances, gender, name and all the rest.

Guest Lord_Lethris

Granted..

But this is a game that tells the tail of "the Witcher" IE Geralt, the White Wolf. With "some" element of control over the way he progresses, without loosing the original Authors story.

Most RPG's I've played arn't really about "Your Charicter", there more about "the world around them"... even if a NPC says "its YOUR destiny to XYZ", its really about XYZ, you just happen to be a small part in its ABC. The Witcher is different in that respect, because it is actually all about YOU (the charicter Geralt).

I've had the "RPG" argument before. And I agree with you, this isnt really an RPG, its a "walk about adventure"... BUT unforutnatly it falls into the catagory of RPG because of the "Experence, Leveling, Skill points and multiple quests with choices and conciquences."

If you put aside the thought of it being a RPG and play it with a more "adventure" game attatude, it really is quite a good story.

You do create a Custom Potagonist. Granted he is "male" but there are 100's of skills to build up on "your way"... its also designed so that you can never get your Charicter to 100% full, so your made to think about what skills suit you best and how to watch for your weeknesses.

Good point. Customization should be about the choices you make during the game, the way you develop your character's personality and how this reflects on the gameworld, etc, not about the color of your PC's moustache/braids, for cripes sake. All this fuss about something that trivial but hardly a word on actual gameplay. But to each his own, I guess.

Duke Nukem - now with character gender customization!

Good point. Customization should be about the choices you make during the game, the way you develop your character's personality and how this reflects on the gameworld, etc, not about the color of your PC's moustache/braids, for cripes sake. All this fuss about something that trivial but hardly a word on actual gameplay. But to each his own, I guess.

I agree with that. Personally, I liked the Fallout model the best - a single character model.

Also, I'd prefer if they stopped on high resolution 2D instead of making those 3D games. The graphics stopped being worth the cost of upgrading computer some time ago.

Speaking of which...

I won't play the Witcher because it won't run on my computer. If I'll buy a new computer, I'll won't have money to buy new games because I would pay for the credit with money that I would normally spent on games.

Anyway, I hate modern gaming with it's filthy 3D graphics, general stupidity and absurd system requirements. I hope it will go to hell :( .

Guest The Witcheress

Domi, I'm terribly sorry, but you're...dumb.

JE was RPG-Lite at best and the character customization didn't matter at all. It's the same story for both female and male character. Oh and they don't have any personality, really. Either you're a heartless bastard or a meadow-prancing goodie-to-shoes. Now that's quality roleplaying. I'd rather play as someone who I can roleplay, thank you.

And one more thing : why's feminism okay and male chauvinism isn't? Double standards? No, I'm not supporting chauvinism.

Well, so by definition are you, if you base your estimate of my mental capacity on my preference of a gaming style, my dear.

The story might be very similar for both genders, but unless you do the replays, you wouldn't know it, and you have the option to play as a female and a female of your creation, and play a great game at that. Which is what I need to have a good time with a game. Yes, I need it. Yes, I tried that PS:T thing, and it didn't work for me; no I do not want to waste my money on the games similar to PS:T to triple-check my 'feelings' about it; I'd rather buy the games I know I will like. I wish there were more on the market, but I can't complain lately, and with the mods starting to appear for NWN2, I think ther ewill be always something for me to play. Sure, I would have preffered even more customization of the model in JE2, but it had necessary minimum.

I found JE to have fantastic dialogues, the options I liked were there all the time, it was funny, it was fresh, it was bright. We argued with my husband about some decsions, and I don't think I will have any problems role-playing it, if I ever manage the twitch-side and get some time.

And no, I don't see how having a fixed character, particulary a fixed canon character, helps one roleplay; all it does is creates a character and personality for you. I prefer doing it all myself. I do have plenty of imagination, and I want a game's story to be about *my* character. That's the necessary minimum I want to bring to the table to enjoy the adventure, otherwise I feel disengaged from the events, and not participating in the game, just watching some movie with a bit of interactivity added in.

There will never be enough options/consequences/dialogue paths available to suit absolutely every character under the sun. But I personally have no problems finding the options I like and that work for my characters in a number of games with customizable charaters, creating those customizable characters, breathing in individuality in them, and doing my perfectly wonderful roleplaying both in the game and behind the scenes, while playing.

chauvinism: an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex.

feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

the difference is 'superiority' vs 'equality'.

feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

That's egalitarism, not feminism. I have yet to see a feminist party that would try to save men from dying earlier due to having to work longer and in worse conditions than women.

Well, so by definition are you, if you base your estimate of my mental capacity on my preference of a gaming style, my dear.

Too bad you missed, my dear.

"I finally decided to check out the inof on Witcher that sounded kind of cool. And what do I see? The same old, the same old. Pre-defined character, and a male. Gah. End of story for me, that's for sure."

Forming an opinion before trying something beforehand is dumb, my dear.

The story might be very similar for both genders, but unless you do the replays, you wouldn't know it, and you have the option to play as a female and a female of your creation, and play a great game at that. Which is what I need to have a good time with a game. Yes, I need it. Yes, I tried that PS:T thing, and it didn't work for me; no I do not want to waste my money on the games similar to PS:T to triple-check my 'feelings' about it; I'd rather buy the games I know I will like. I wish there were more on the market, but I can't complain lately, and with the mods starting to appear for NWN2, I think ther ewill be always something for me to play. Sure, I would have preffered even more customization of the model in JE2, but it had necessary minimum.

So yeah, it's similiar...even identical. Purely cosmetical, if you will. That's my point. Unless they can make two different and interesting stories for both females and males what's the point? I'd rather see one, but good story.

I found JE to have fantastic dialogues, the options I liked were there all the time, it was funny, it was fresh, it was bright. We argued with my husband about some decsions, and I don't think I will have any problems role-playing it, if I ever manage the twitch-side and get some time.

Decisions? Between good and evil? Oh come on, it's same same old as you've pointed out already.

And no, I don't see how having a fixed character, particulary a fixed canon character, helps one roleplay; all it does is creates a character and personality for you. I prefer doing it all myself. I do have plenty of imagination, and I want a game's story to be about *my* character. That's the necessary minimum I want to bring to the table to enjoy the adventure, otherwise I feel disengaged from the events, and not participating in the game, just watching some movie with a bit of interactivity added in.

The problem's that in JE you can't really roleplay a person with a actual personality, unless you believe all people are either goody-two-shoes or mass murderers. And yes, you can be who you want in PS:T and to a lesser extent in Witcher. Truth to be told, you probably wouldn't even say a word if it had fixed female character, I bet.

That's feminism or just plain old hypocrisy?

There will never be enough options/consequences/dialogue paths available to suit absolutely every character under the sun. But I personally have no problems finding the options I like and that work for my characters in a number of games with customizable charaters, creating those customizable characters, breathing in individuality in them, and doing my perfectly wonderful roleplaying both in the game and behind the scenes, while playing.

Heh, the problem with JE was that you didn't really have a choice when it comes to dialogue. Cardboard personality isn't quite the thing I want.

Besides, that's not the point of this discussion.

chauvinism: an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex.

the difference is 'superiority' vs 'equality'.

Look below.

And chauvinism is an attitude of superiority towards any kind of group, actually.

"I finally decided to check out the inof on Witcher that sounded kind of cool. And what do I see? The same old, the same old. Pre-defined character, and a male. Gah. End of story for me, that's for sure."

Forming an opinion before trying something beforehand is dumb, my dear.

I know my gaming preferences, sweetling. They happen to differ from yours. I do not play the games that do not allow me a custom protagonist, and a female protagonist at that. I need a higher degree of customisation for the character to consider her 'mine', otherwise, I will not enjoy the game, even a game as developed in the player responces department as PS:T is hailed to be. I understand your position, I understand that you can play a predetermined character, but I cannot. The game loses its charm for me if I have to play 'that guy'.

So yeah, it's similiar...even identical. Purely cosmetical, if you will. That's my point. Unless they can make two different and interesting stories for both females and males what's the point? I'd rather see one, but good story.

The point is that you can play an interesting story with the character you've created yourself, that suits your individual taste and preferences. JE (and a number of other games) allows me that. I disagree that JE protagonist didn't have a personality. I knew exactly what my husband's character was like, and I know who Firefeather I created is as well.

Look, this is a circular argument. I prefer to infuse the personality into a character I created, rather than being given it. Repeating it again and again is not going to make it any more comprehensible to you, it is a normal thing in an argument that is about tastes.

I like having a good selection of options in any game, and I have no problems in general with the options I have in JE. I do play good characters, and I am happy with them, happy to see that they can be insightful and crack a joke while they are going through a pretty cool story with a few surprises and fun NPCs....

At the end of the day, my gaming silver goes towards purchasing the games of the particular type that I find enetratining and worth spending my time on. Luckily, it is my descision to make.

I might suggest The Sims where the player has a thousand customizations available to choose from. Sex, colour of the hair, of the eyes, shape of the face, kind of clothes to put on, furnish the house the way you like, make your garden look better, ecc. ecc.

It's then obviously a great CRPG... ( :( )

Exactly! How awesome is it to describe watching your Sim watch TV? j/k

There are no female Witchers.

Where there is one, ther ecould be others. After all, there were no Bhaalspawn in D&D world of Faerun at all till BioWARE added them. Not a hell of an alteration to the lore to add a few tough and hated females to a few tough and hated males in a Very Special Stronghold X.

This is true, but that is because Wizards of the Coast endorsed the product. They gave permission to Bioware to create the Bhaalspawn for the story, and it was WotC's decision to make the events of the game canon.

If the author of the Witcher says there are no female Witchers aside from the one he wrote about, then there shall be no others.

So do the Black Brothers in Martin, yet to shield Arya, Yoren passed her for a boy, and everyone took her for a boy anyway all the time.

Yes, for a short time everyone assumed she was a boy, but some of those traveling with her did start to notice clues that she wasn't a boy.

Back to the female Witcher discussion, there could be other reasons there are no female Witchers. I haven't read the books so this is just a theory. Perhaps the magic used to help shape and train a Witcher is geared to work specifically with a male.

In Warhammer 40k there is a similar thing when creating a Space Marine. There are no female Space Marines simply because the process of creating a Space Marine was designed for males. Some of the organs implanted into a Space Marine are geared specifically to work with certain male hormones.

Please keep the discussion civil. Otherwise, it just turns into a flame war.

Domi, I understand your option and what you are trying to say about not being able to personalize everything about your character, but it has more to do with what rights the developers bought from the creator than what they wanted to do. They bought the rights to make a game about the story of this Witcher.

Besides as someone said, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Everyone will have their own opinion.

There are people that live and breath World of Warcraft but I personally dislike the game because I don't like the art style and the storylines/history it uses are basically generic ideas stolen from other fantasy settings.

I'm not getting the Witcher simply because the game does not look that impressive to me.

I know my gaming preferences, sweetling. They happen to differ from yours. I do not play the games that do not allow me a custom protagonist, and a female protagonist at that. I need a higher degree of customisation for the character to consider her 'mine', otherwise, I will not enjoy the game, even a game as developed in the player responces department as PS:T is hailed to be. I understand your position, I understand that you can play a predetermined character, but I cannot. The game loses its charm for me if I have to play 'that guy'.

Now, now...sugar is leaking from this post.

Still, I suppose you'd play it if it was a predefined female protagonist, am I right?

The point is that you can play an interesting story with the character you've created yourself, that suits your individual taste and preferences. JE (and a number of other games) allows me that. I disagree that JE protagonist didn't have a personality. I knew exactly what my husband's character was like, and I know who Firefeather I created is as well.

Look, this is a circular argument. I prefer to infuse the personality into a character I created, rather than being given it. Repeating it again and again is not going to make it any more comprehensible to you, it is a normal thing in an argument that is about tastes.

The problem with JE was that it was impossible. Unless you're refering to infusing cardboard personality into a character.

Oh and by the way, closed fist and open palm was just a load of bullcrap and didn't really work the way it was supposed to.

I like having a good selection of options in any game, and I have no problems in general with the options I have in JE. I do play good characters, and I am happy with them, happy to see that they can be insightful and crack a joke while they are going through a pretty cool story with a few surprises and fun NPCs....

At the end of the day, my gaming silver goes towards purchasing the games of the particular type that I find enetratining and worth spending my time on. Luckily, it is my descision to make.

I do, however, have a problem with you claiming that JE is the perfect RPG. It's an enjoyable title, hell I had fun while playing it, but the paragon of roleplaying gaming it ain't.

Still, that makes me wonder : why did you start a new topic for that then?

Archived