NWN2

theacefes

Yakes, cirerek, that's harsh :p I dunno, I think some of the new character faces are fine, I *love* the gensais, and I installed that WB's hair package, and it had a few haistyles I digged.

I really like the graphics (hated NWN1), never had any problems with anything, have a 22" monitor as well.

I liked most of the OC companions, and tbh, I'd rather the MotB companions weren't all freaks that didn't belong to the setting. I think for the both games, I only truly hated two companions - Shandra and Gann.

And I liked Daeghun, I think he was spot on.... Anyways, lol, I guess, I am easy to please. though yep, I kind of hit the low with the MotB atm. I think I might try some mods before finishing the XP.

It is harsh yes, but I think well deserved since this is based on the Aurora engine, albeit a different iteration. There were some reasonably decent looking heads and faces in each of the KOTOR games. They could have acheived similar quality in NWN2 with a little bit of effort. And the stupid part about helmets not fitting on the companions heads because they used custom heads that didn't meet their helmet specs. Gah!

I'm kind of on the same page with devSin here. If you can't match the gold standard of cinematics, but in this case, if you can't match the gold standard of avatar generation (say the SIMS 2), then don't bother. Make 3 decent heads and 3 decent hairstyles for each race and leave it at that as opposed to 12 different heads for the human race and 11 bad hairstyles.

Most of the OC companions got on my nerves. Heh, I actually liked Shandra. I was really POed when they killed her and you couldn't resurrect her. Hello! No one dies in this game, they just get knocked out and then get back up after a while. Why does the only character I like have to croak as part of a plot point when I have the ability to raise the dead or resurrect people?

I didn't like Sand, but I thought his character was reasonably well done.

And oddly enough, I liked Grobnar after he wore on me a little. Much better than whiney Aerie for instance.

As for Daeghun, he is the type that made me realize that I wouldn't be able to hack life in the military.

NWN2 uses the Electron Engine, not the Aurora.

Just in case you were interested, though the two look and function similarly it seems.

Probably these differences are on the scale of bg1 vs. iwd2

There was a post on the Bioware boards at one point by one of the developers (Rob ?last name?) that stated in what condition that Obsidian had received the game from Bioware. As I recall it was a pre Hordes of the Underdark version of the engine and possibly even earlier than that. I do remember being surprised by how early a version of the engine they Obsidian had to start with for developing NWN2.

So anything that Obsidian did to the engine after that is the equivalent of BG1 vs. IWD2.

Okay, so now I'm in Act II, and I must say...probably contrary to most reviews I have read on the OC, I am very much enjoying it. The storyline keeps me interested and the characters are actually turning out to be all right. Well, the ones I have so far. I don't know if there are more to come or not.

Something that they should have added:

Fast travel! This was one of the major reasons EDS4 is one of the best games where travel is a big part of it. I hate just pointing and clicking for an hour to get from one end of the city to another.

Guest Tempest

I liked Act III the most. It's something I've noticed about Obsidian/Bioware games-they are usually very slow in the beginning and take their time getting everything set up and in place, but the pace starts to pick up as you get further into the game, with the final part being one wild ride. In my opinion, the best is yet to come for you.

Act II is pretty good :p For me the game just gained momentum as it went. I actually am in the minority (because I do think that most people like CAt II the most), because I liked the III'rd the most (well appart from the very, very, very ending of it).

I always hate Bossfights at the end, ususally playing magical tricksters they are not that much fun to me to see how many potions I can gobble down while I am being smacked around by XXX HP-henchmen. I guess that's why PST, the Fallouts and Arcanum are my favourite endings. ^_^

I'm now at the part where I have to find the statues, and maybe it's just this part of the campaign, but I feel the momentum slowing down, as it's starting to look like another "find all the pieces of this to unlock this which will get you to this" boring quest.

Archived