A Really Cool way to name interjections

Kulyok

I've been writing interjections for the past days, so I thought I'd share.

We all know that each I_C_T command sets a "hidden" variable - the name of the said interjection. (What, you didn't know that? Go and rewrite your interjections already!) And it's important to give each interjection a unique, and possibly prefixed, name.

I don't know about you, but it matters to me when things are tidy. When there's a pattern. So just adding an XX prefix and an Int suffix, like I did, say, for Angelo, was okay, but it just didn't cut it for me. I wanted a Method of Naming Interjections. (Laugh, if you will. I'm deadly serious.)

And I found it: [Prefix][NPC's Death Variable][Dialogue name][state Name]

The actual interjection looks like:

I_C_T DNATE 10 A#AnnaDNATE10
== A#ANNA IF ~InParty("A#Anna") Range("A#Anna",60)~ THEN ~She's got a point, you know.~
END

... and a completely unique A#AnnaDNATE10 variable gets set to 1 after this interjection.

So there.

I was trying to write a thread about my coding experience in German but it got stuck at post no 2 (after "correct triggers for dialogues" and "using GLOBAL or LOCALS?"). :) I am still planning on expanding, though.

I am a big fan of tutorials that sum all those little things you learned by experience. There is nothing that wouldn't be worth writing down so new modders can learn from it. AND it's good to have a link to refer to if you find yourself explaining the same thing for the xth time.

I've learned to use the variable set by an interjection as a check instead of setting another during the course of the interjection, and all my ICTs are BNPC1NPC2, so I guess I'm on the same wavelength.

Unfortunately, my prefix contains a !, so I can't use my whole prefix, but just the B.

CamDawg has mentioned this several times on several threads, but I don't think anyone has created a tutorial that explains it, or pointed it out as a separate topic/suggestion - why not toss up a Jastey/Kulyok tutorial? It is pretty useful info, too, as there are problems when folks don't realize that

I_C_T ~DNATE~ 10 chapter
== A#ANNA IF ~InParty("A#Anna") Range("A#Anna",60)~ THEN ~Ha ha - I have just reset the chapter variable to 1, and messed up your game silently! Take that!!!~
END
Unfortunately, my prefix contains a !, so I can't use my whole prefix, but just the B.

When I was still using C!, I found that most of the time this can be worked around simply by wrapping dialogue names in tildes. I.e. C!FOO would make WeiDU sad but ~C!FOO~ was fine.

edit: Plus, IIRC bigg has made WeiDU a lot more friendly to exclamation points in recent releases.

Archived